No announcement yet.

Anthony Bourdain found dead of apparent suicide in France

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
    Sh^t I was put under like 3 times before I turned 18 iirc. If I lived in caveman times I'd been dead a long time ago.

But sh^t apparently I'm some other mfer now. F#cking doctors.

Is local safe or just safer?
    Local works completely different...it just deadens the nerves in a small local area briefly. It's pretty harmless.

When I was a kid...around 9 years old I got put under and my grades tanked. I bit my tongue in a collision playing hockey and needed stitches. I struggled with the Dr who tried to use local on it (the needle was huge) and the Dr threw down the forceps and said "I'm putting him under".

I had stitches and local on my face when I was 5 but the Dr was smart enough to cover my eyes and so I saw nothing and co-operated...no problem.

My dog got put under 6 years ago and immediately after she started having weird disorientation episodes that occasionally still happen. The vet was useless and put her under 3 times within 19 hours because of a couple of mistakes he made with the drainage tube. The first 2 times were back to back almost and the 3rd time was the next day. She's never been the same and there are forums where dog owners discuss these type of problems after general anesthesia...it happens a lot.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaded View Post
      Local works completely different...it just deadens the nerves in a small local area briefly. It's pretty harmless.

When I was a kid...around 9 years old I got put under and my grades tanked. I bit my tongue in a collision playing hockey and needed stitches. I struggled with the Dr who tried to use local on it (the needle was huge) and the Dr threw down the forceps and said "I'm putting him under".

I had stitches and local on my face when I was 5 but the Dr was smart enough to cover my eyes and so I saw nothing and co-operated...no problem.

My dog got put under 6 years ago and immediately after she started having weird disorientation episodes that occasionally still happen. The vet was useless and put her under 3 times within 19 hours because of a couple of mistakes he made with the drainage tube. The first 2 times were back to back almost and the 3rd time was the next day. She's never been the same and there are forums where dog owners discuss these type of problems after general anesthesia...it happens a lot.
      This sh^t sounds a lil like the movie Flatliners. Weird stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
        This sh^t sounds a lil like the movie Flatliners. Weird stuff.
        Never saw the movie but anyways...that video made me think about this and given that Bourdain's brain was probably seriously effected by his drug abuse to begin with are a lot of serious issues. There are MRI's that show the difference in the brain of a drug addict even after recovery that mark the changes in certain lobes. The deadening of dopamine receptors etc...and the possible effects of general anesthesia all could have been contributing factors to what happened. Who knows?

Comment

• Originally posted by SunSpace View Post
          lol, probably! Same for anesthesia; "They used to drug themselves up..."
          Right, Neanderthals did brain surgery and recovered from all kinds of traumatic injuries

Originally posted by jaded View Post
          It's a controlled coma. If it can kill off enough brain activity to transplant a heart it's going to have serious and lasting side-effects...but that's rarely discussed or acknowledged. In any event if you need it then you have no choice...but a lot of people opt for general anesthesia over local who don't need general because they are afraid of the surgery.

Last year I had a benign tumor removed from my lat muscle and 2 General Anesthetists wanted to put me under I told them no way...local only because I knew what would happen. I won't even get local for a dentist drilling....it's not necessary. They stood by the whole time just in case there were complications and it was needed. They got paid a nice tidy sum of money for just standing there for 20 minutes.

Read the comments below this article as well.

https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2016...and-confusion/

many articles about this...

https://www.nature.com/articles/nrn.2016.128

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...f-going-under/

Very interesting and I'm wondering if going under also leaves one's blood brain barrior susceptible to infections, which the brain is quite vulnerable.
          Last edited by maracho; 06-14-2018, 11:39 PM.

Comment

• Turns out Bourdain was only worth $1.2M at the time of his death. Many reports estimated his worth at $16M, however, at time of his death he had about $425K in cash, $250K in personal property, and $500K in residuals, all left to his 11 year old daughter. He also left his frequent flier miles to his wife.

For all the years he had his show, I thought his estate would have been much more. From what little I've read, many of the Discovery/History/Nat Geo reality show celebs don't earn all that much.

https://pagesix.com/2018/07/05/antho...-of-his-death/

Comment

• Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
              Turns out Bourdain was only worth $1.2M at the time of his death. Many reports estimated his worth at $16M, however, at time of his death he had about $425K in cash, $250K in personal property, and $500K in residuals, all left to his 11 year old daughter. He also left his frequent flier miles to his wife.

For all the years he had his show, I thought his estate would have been much more. From what little I've read, many of the Discovery/History/Nat Geo reality show celebs don't earn all that much.

Man...I guess CNN and Travel Channel don't pay chit. I thought he would've been worth way more than that. He probably had a bad financial "advisor".

Comment

• Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
                Turns out Bourdain was only worth $1.2M at the time of his death. Many reports estimated his worth at $16M, however, at time of his death he had about $425K in cash, $250K in personal property, and $500K in residuals, all left to his 11 year old daughter. He also left his frequent flier miles to his wife.

Was thinking about this the other day and my estimate of his worth was much higher in the $10-20 million range.

It’s possible he was a lavish spender - splurging on 4-5 star hotels, expensive flights and frequently wining and dining at restaurants around the world. He may or may have had good accounting and financial advice and advisors. It’s also possible that he was very charitable.

In any event it is kind of surprising - I have been watching “Parts Unknown” and he did a sh.t load of episodes. He’s was producing, writing and starring in them I would have expected that he was making close to 7 figures per ep.

It doesn’t add up to me

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
                  Was thinking about this the other day and my estimate of his worth was much higher in the $10-20 million range.

It’s possible he was a lavish spender - splurging on 4-5 star hotels, expensive flights and frequently wining and dining at restaurants around the world. He may or may have had good accounting and financial advice and advisors. It’s also possible that he was very charitable.

In any event it is kind of surprising - I have been watching “Parts Unknown” and he did a sh.t load of episodes. He’s was producing, writing and starring in them I would have expected that he was making close to 7 figures per ep.

It doesn’t add up to me
                  I'm wondering if he hid money in offshore accounts. He did go through a divorce a couple years ago. Perhaps he had some Swiss accounts to avoid taxes or having to cough up half his money to his ex.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zero Delay View Post
                    I wonder if he knew the Clintons?
                    Anthony Bourdain slammed Hillary Clinton and 'gropey, disgusting' Bill Clinton in newly released interview
                    http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...interview.html
                    In an interview, published more than a month after his death, Anthony Bourdain called former President Bill Clinton a “gropey, grabby disgusting” person and slammed the Clintons for how they handled the Monica Lewinsky scandal.
                    uh oh...

Comment

• Originally posted by John Barron View Post
                      Anthony Bourdain slammed Hillary Clinton and 'gropey, disgusting' Bill Clinton in newly released interview
                      http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...interview.html

uh oh...
                      Makes sense that he would commit suicide just like Vince Foster.

Comment

Working...
                      X