Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hagler vs Duran - Was it a razor-thin decision?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post
    Yes, he definitely was concerned about Durans power, thats why he kept him at a distance with that wonderful jab of his. Most if not all but the last round were close. If you look at the last round, Duran beats on his chest wanting Hagler to come at him with everything, Hagler did exactly that but Duran didn't want none of it. Hagler completely dominated him in that round and I am confident that he started to fight more on the inside once he felt out Durans power.
    i think duran was out of gas when he beat his chest and marvins professionalism as far as conditioning came to the forefront his corner told him to go after duran in the later rounds and yet did not do that in the leonard fight which is puzzling to me marvin in my mind really never got a gift in any of his fights i have seen as far as scoring.

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
      i think duran was out of gas when he beat his chest and marvins professionalism as far as conditioning came to the forefront his corner told him to go after duran in the later rounds and yet did not do that in the leonard fight which is puzzling to me marvin in my mind really never got a gift in any of his fights i have seen as far as scoring.
      Yeah, they were always against him. Makes me wonder how his career would have turned out if had he gotten a fair chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
        It was competitive but not razor thin...

15 rounds it was probably 9-6 or 10-5 hagler... Maybe 8-7 if you give all the close rounds to duran..

Duran gets a lot of credit because he outperformed expectations, similar to morales-Maidana, morales gets credit because he was competitive when everyone thought he wouldn't make it past a few Rds.. But he still clearly lost
        This fits my thoughts precisely too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post
          Yeah, they were always against him. Makes me wonder how his career would have turned out if had he gotten a fair chance.
          marvin had a wonderful career.....he may have had more defenses of the title if he won it sooner.....he also could have made more money if he was a Olympic champ and was marketed correctly but he is well respected by most......including myself

Comment

I don't score fights well but here is how I saw it: the first 5 rounds were a toss, so lets play devil's advocate and give 3 to Duran and 2 to Hagler, I couldn't give Duran a round from the 5th to the to 10th, and Hagler won the the last two, so... if we give duran 3 of those, which is generous, I could give Duran at most 6 rounds, giving Duran all benefit of the doubts...I don't know what those judges saw but Hagler was throwing multiple body shots and beating Duran with the jab outside all night.

Realistically if we don't play devil's advocate I would give Duran about 4 rounds. And in spirit Marvin laid a beat down on Duran. I don't fault Duran, its not his weight class.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
              I don't score fights well but here is how I saw it: the first 5 rounds were a toss, so lets play devil's advocate and give 3 to Duran and 2 to Hagler, I couldn't give Duran a round from the 5th to the to 10th, and Hagler won the the last two, so... if we give duran 3 of those, which is generous, I could give Duran at most 6 rounds, giving Duran all benefit of the doubts...I don't know what those judges saw but Hagler was throwing multiple body shots and beating Duran with the jab outside all night.

Realistically if we don't play devil's advocate I would give Duran about 4 rounds. And in spirit Marvin laid a beat down on Duran. I don't fault Duran, its not his weight class.
              how did you score 11,12,13

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post

Bill, if you couldn't give Duran a round from 5th to 10, then that is Hagler 5rds up. You say you give Hagler 2 of the first 5rds, which is 7rds to Hagler. All in all you say he "Laid a beat down" On Duran.... Why not just say you had Hagler winning by a landslide?...

Comment

Hagler won clearly.

Duran fought well, especially considering his size and the fact that he was going up against one of the greatest middleweights ever, whom a few months earlier had given his peak performance IMO against Sibson. But it wasn't as close as the judges had it. Duran won 4-5 rounds. No way should he have been ahead or was the fight even after 12.

Duran was getting some real generous scoring from the judges around this time. One year earlier, one judge actually had him losing to Benitez by just one point. And the other two scorecards were pretty generous to Duran also, having Benitez up by just 3 and 4 points.

Comment

Originally posted by Thread Stealer View Post
                    Hagler won clearly.

Duran fought well, especially considering his size and the fact that he was going up against one of the greatest middleweights ever, whom a few months earlier had given his peak performance IMO against Sibson. But it wasn't as close as the judges had it. Duran won 4-5 rounds. No way should he have been ahead or was the fight even after 12.

Duran was getting some real generous scoring from the judges around this time. One year earlier, one judge actually had him losing to Benitez by just one point. And the other two scorecards were pretty generous to Duran also, having Benitez up by just 3 and 4 points.
                    I personally thought benitez was cheated more in the scoring in his duran fight that marvin was in his. I agree post leonard 2 the judges seem to give roberto favorable scoring.

Interesting observation about the sibson fight do not disagree. I think I will watch more of sibsons fights.

Comment

Legendary Hall of Fame referee and judge Artrhur Mercante, would score a boxing fight by breaking the round down, into three seperate minutes. That way he would always have a winner of the round and no drawn rounds... I have watched Hagler vs Duran many times over the years. But thought i would watch it again last night and here is my scorecard.

1/. Duran
                      2/. Hagler
                      3/. Duran
                      4/. Hagler
                      5/. Hagler
                      6/. Hagler
                      7/. Hagler
                      8/. Hagler
                      9/. Duran
                      10/. Duran
                      11/. Duran < Hagler gave away the round>
                      12/. Duran
                      13/. Duran
                      14/. Hagler
                      15/. Hagler

Score = 144-143 Hagler (Razor-Thin) decision

Hagler vs Duran was one of the easiest fights ever to score. The rounds Hagler won, he won clearly. The rounds Duran won, he won clearly. How can so many so called boxing experts, who frequent this forum, score the fight so one-sided in Marvin Hagler's favour?..

Here is a link from Ring Magazine. Who call the fight a "RAZOR-THIN" decision.

http://******.craveonline.com/news/3...ght-at-caesars

Comment

Working...
                      X