Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Josh "Pretty Boy" Kelly Be A Big Star In The Future?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Josh "Pretty Boy" Kelly Be A Big Star In The Future?

I just found out about this cat literally yesterday from watching a video that Boxing Legends TV uploaded about boxers with a Matrix style of fighting.

He only just turned pro April of last year and has just five fights to his name, but look at those skills. You don't see shit like that from just any prospect. He's only 23 years old too, so plenty of time to grow and improve and get even better.

Long way to go. At the end of the day he will need to be seriously talented for that style to carry right to the top.

Hes going to be coming up against much much better opposition over the cominv years. Guys whos jabs wont be so easy to see, who wont be falling over their punches and giving him easy countering opportunities.

I enjoy watching him fight, but not gonna go overboard on him yet...

Always good to see a fighter who can get the mainstream excited though. Hope he can make waves and bring more attention to the sport.

Comment

He's got talent and potential. Needs a more challenging opponent to measure where he stands.

There's been 4-5 threads about him in the past months.

That said, I like what I see so far.

Comment

Also, here's the video where I originally saw him (go to 5:10), this even further highlights some of his sharp reflexes and defensive capabilities:

Comment

He's definitely a very good prospect that will be moved quite quickly.

He will also definitely come up against opposition that can time his flashy tricks now and again and maybe force him to rely on fundamentals a bit more, that will be good test for him. People compare him to Prince Naseem. There is similarities. Also, we saw that when Naseem fought Kelley, Kelley knew how to time him well and Naseem got behind his jab a bit more and got the job done, he showed he could adjust then.

So it'll be interesting to see when Josh Kelly fights someone who won't be bamboozled that easily. He has a very good trainer in Booth though, so i'm sure Booth will make sure he's very fundamentally sound behind all the flashy style.

He does looks a cut above the usual good prospect after 5 fights, but you have to consider that style is always going to make someone look exceptional against lesser opposition.

He's a welterweight too, and will be a great addition to top of the division if he's the real deal. There's nobody quite like him at WW in terms of style.
          Last edited by TheBigLug; 01-04-2018, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Long way to go before we can make any definitive statements regarding his potential. Obviously he is entertaining and has a style casuals may love which could make him a star and he has tons of natural talent and ability. But that only takes you so far, he under performed at the Olympics and he needs to not only show talent but the discipline, work ethic and focus to reach the top.

So far he's looked amazing but then he hasn't faced anyone that could really test him in any way. Anyone can look like Roy Jones Jr if you stick them in with a massively over matched opponent. Can he get away with those same tricks against a world class fighter, hell can he do it against an even fringe world level fighter.

But if he keeps racking up wins I expect the hype around him to explode.

Comment

He looks very good. I think he could be a star if he has a good chin. Right now he is very hard to hit but as he fights better opponents some of them might land some big punches. His head movement, hand speed, variety of punches, timing and quick reflexes, accuracy and all around boxing skills seem excellent. It's a pleasure to watch him.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigLug View Post
                He's definitely a very good prospect that will be moved quite quickly.

He will also definitely come up against opposition that can time his flashy tricks now and again and maybe force him to rely on fundamentals a bit more, that will be good test for him.People compare him to Prince Naseem. There is similarities. Also, we saw that when Naseem fought Kelley, Kelley knew how to time him well and Naseem got behind his jab a bit more and got the job done, he showed he could adjust then.

So it'll be interesting to see when Josh Kelly fights someone who won't be bamboozled that easily. He has a very good trainer in Booth though, so i'm sure Booth will make sure he's very fundamentally sound behind all the flashy style.

He does looks a cut above the usual good prospect after 5 fights, but you have to consider that style is always going to make someone look exceptional against lesser opposition.

He's a welterweight too, and will be a great addition to top of the division if he's the real deal. There's nobody quite like him at WW in terms of style.
                Excellent points mate. Green K.

I wonder if Booth will install those fundamentals though. David Haye and George Groves were both found lacking when they reached the top. Ryan Burnett had to rely on his infighting when he had his biggest fight, which he most probably learned during his time training with Hatton rather than from Booth.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
                  Excellent points mate. Green K.

I wonder if Booth will install those fundamentals though. David Haye and George Groves were both found lacking when they reached the top. Ryan Burnett had to rely on his infighting when he had his biggest fight, which he most probably learned during his time training with Hatton rather than from Booth.
                  I think Groves is fundamentally pretty sound for the most part. The only real problem i have with fighters that Booth has from early on is that they tend to leave their hands very low, especially their dominant hand anyway. Groves and Haye both do, although i guess it's because their style are like a bit of a sniper, trying to pick you off with hard shots but it's still a risky style.

Seems Kelly doesn't seem to use much of a guard either but as i say, he's not really needed to yet. If he's the real thing, then his style he's shown so far might be a problem for a lot of fighters. If he isn't top level, then his style will probably be his own undoing when he gets to a good level.

Comment

He has the looks, flashiness, right team behind him and he's in the right era to be. A casual fans wet dream.

I can't say he impresses me greatly personally. I find him more flash over substance. Lot of posturing and unnecessary wasted movement with no real purpose I don't think he gets away with at a higher level.

Comment

Working...
                    X