Light Sparring, Mitt-work videos

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light Sparring, Mitt-work videos

Hi everyone,

I've been boxing since last July, and today I recorded myself in the gym.
    The first two videos are of a "non-contact sparring" we do here at this gym, but in this case the trainer said I was allowed to hit him lightly.
    So sometimes I'm trying to hit him, and other times I'm not.
    The third video was taken after, and it's just me hitting the pads.

I noticed I got tired quickly. Also I seem to have tense shoulders, and my movement quickly become sluggish and my feet heavy. My technique also tends to suffer when sparring.

Please take a look and give me some tips if you don't mind. Of course you don't have to watch the whole thing, I'm sure you'll spot the mistakes immediately.

I'm the guy with the headgear.

Even though I was tired, the second round seemed to be much more aggressive for some reason.

Round 1: http://youtu.be/9Q2PoMru8O4
    Round 2: http://youtu.be/szvMaOGjVls
    Mitts: http://youtu.be/ax8dYWm6mKM

Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by AaronJW; 04-10-2016, 06:25 AM.

Flat footed. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks! I noticed that too!

Comment

Originally posted by AaronJW View Post
        Hi everyone,

I've been boxing since last July, and today I recorded myself in the gym.
        The first two videos are of a "non-contact sparring" we do here at this gym, but in this case the trainer said I was allowed to hit him lightly.
        So sometimes I'm trying to hit him, and other times I'm not.
        The third video was taken after, and it's just me hitting the pads.

I noticed I got tired quickly. Also I seem to have tense shoulders, and my movement quickly become sluggish and my feet heavy. My technique also tends to suffer when sparring.

Please take a look and give me some tips if you don't mind. Of course you don't have to watch the whole thing, I'm sure you'll spot the mistakes immediately.

I'm the guy with the headgear.

Even though I was tired, the second round seemed to be much more aggressive for some reason.

Round 1: youtu.be/9Q2PoMru8O4
        Round 2: youtu.be/szvMaOGjVls
        Mitts: youtu.be/ax8dYWm6mKM

Please copy and paste the links- I still can't post URLs.

Thanks a lot!
        Your form isn't too bad at all. I like that you keep your chin down and hands up most of the time. Where do you train at? They seem to have good coaches there because they emphasize the jab to the body and also the right hand to the body a lot.

Keep doing what you're doing. If I was to nitpick:

1. I noticed a few times that you let your feet get too close together.

2. You don't use the left hook to the body enough. Watch film of Duran or Chavez Sr if you need some ideas of how to use it, I think it's an important punch to have in your arsenal.

3. When you were doing mitts you dropped your hands while the mitt holder would reset. Keep them up at all times. You said you get tense shoulders so this is probably just a lack of shoulder muscular endurance. Hitting the speed bag can help with that.

Comment

Thanks a lot ShoulderRoll.

I train at Akihabara Boxing Gym in Tokyo- please come if you have the chance!

Yes, my shoulders were very tired- I had been doing a lot of pull-ups the day before, plus I had just finished 2 rounds of sparring so they were more tired than usual. But I know how important shoulder endurance is so I'll focus on that.

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
          1. I noticed a few times that you let your feet get too close together.
          I see. I'll check again, but if you can could you please let me know at which points exactly?

Thanks a lot

Comment

Originally posted by AaronJW View Post
            I see. I'll check again, but if you can could you please let me know at which points exactly?

Thanks a lot
            Like around the 1:00 mark of your round 2 video for example, as you're stepping back. You do it again at 1:02. Look at 1:35 also. And at the 2:50 mark.

Check those out and see if you agree.

Comment

When hitting the mitts you leave your arms out for too long. Bring your hands back immediately to your guard position after throwing each punch or you will get countered.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                Like around the 1:00 mark of your round 2 video for example, as you're stepping back. You do it again at 1:02. Look at 1:35 also. And at the 2:50 mark.

Check those out and see if you agree.
                Yes I see! Well spotted. I think the first one was because I was apologizing for accidentally uppercutting him pretty hard. Thanks a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post
                  When hitting the mitts you leave your arms out for too long. Bring your hands back immediately to your guard position after throwing each punch or you will get countered.
                  Good point! To be honest I'm wasting the mitt sessions by not using the time to correct my weak points. From now on I'll focus on bringing my hands back quickly until it becomes second nature. Thanks a lot.

Comment

Working...
                  X