Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it true some Cuban amateurs defected Cuba rather than face GGG?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it true some Cuban amateurs defected Cuba rather than face GGG?

TL;DR VERSION: Kenny Porter said this about GGG: "Even the Cubans, when we were in Venezuela, when was that, '07? Every day we get in the breakfast line, there'd be ten Cubans in the breakfast line, ten Americans, and ten guys from England, ten guys from (inaudible), and then one day we got in the line and was only 3 Cubans but there was 5 coaches surrounding them, because they had defected. I wish I had known what I know now when I been talking to guys like GGG. So yeah, he was great, and he caused a lot of havoc with his pinpoint punching and the power that he had, so we were never successful against him, yeah, he was very good." Watch the interview here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIiZkOAqlFk. Is this true?

Long version: Kenny Porter gave some interview on youtube where they asked him how good GGG really was in his prime, because as you guys know, GGG was ducked in his prime in the pros, and didnt have a chance to show just how good, or overrated, he was in his prime, and now we will never really know. However, he did have prime years in the amateurs, so someone asked Kenny Porter. Porter said something along the lines of he really was as good as people said, everyone in the amateurs knew about him, he beat a lot of our guys, a lot of the top Cubans, and some even defected rather than face him.

That seems a little far fetched. And... how? Who? Wouldn't we have heard about this? I sort of wonder if Porter mixed up the word "defect" with "forfeit" or something. Then again could a Cuban amateur really forfeit a match without defecting right after, or would their lives be made hell back in Cuba if they did?

It would be interesting to get to the bottom of what he was talking about. Anyone know?
    Last edited by Boxing Logic; 01-17-2019, 03:10 AM.

stop posting

you suck

Comment

This is why Gennady has such a polarizing fanbase. Typical Gennady cuck stuff XD XD XD

Thank God Mr. Middleweight Ca$hnelo settled that boy down

Comment

This is stupid as hell

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Logic View Post
          Kenny Porter gave some interview on youtube where they asked him how good GGG really was in his prime, because as you guys know, GGG was ducked in his prime in the pros, and didnt have a chance to show just how good, or overrated, he was in his prime, and now we will never really know. However, he did have prime years in the amateurs, so someone asked Kenny Porter. Porter said something along the lines of he really was as good as people said, everyone in the amateurs knew about him, he beat a lot of our guys, a lot of the top Cubans, and some even defected rather than face him.

That seems a little far fetched. And... how? Who? Wouldn't we have heard about this? I sort of wonder if Porter mixed up the word "defect" with "forfeit" or something. Then again could a Cuban amateur really forfeit a match without defecting right after, or would their lives be made hell back in Cuba if they did?

It would be interesting to get to the bottom of what he was talking about. Anyone know?
          Dude was probably joking, man. Kenny Porter's a good dude, but guys don't defect for reasons like that... umm. Actually. Did he mean default?

That seems much more probable.

Do you have the interview?

Comment

Originally posted by DARKSEID View Post
            stop posting

you suck
            Originally posted by Bjl12 View Post
            This is why Gennady has such a polarizing fanbase. Typical Gennady cuck stuff XD XD XD

I think you mean age, not Canelo.

Originally posted by bballchump11 View Post
            This is stupid as hell
            Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
            Dude was probably joking, man. Kenny Porter's a good dude, but guys don't defect for reasons like that... umm. Actually. Did he mean default?

Here's the one he talks about GGG vs the US amateurs: https://youtu.be/X2An7HgXYnk?t=93 I cant find the one with the Cuban amateurs comment so far but Im looking. I watched it when it came up but didnt save the link.

stop posting

you suck
            This is stupid as hell
            Read the OP. Otherwise "this is why GGG haters are such a polarizing fanbase" because you guys insult people who speak facts and share interviews and new info with you that you haven't heard before, rather than hear them out and look into the information to see for yourselves.

Comment

I think you mean age, not Canelo.

Here's the one he talks about GGG vs the US amateurs: https://youtu.be/X2An7HgXYnk?t=93 I cant find the one with the Cuban amateurs comment so far but Im looking. I watched it when it came up but didnt save the link.

stop posting

you suck
              This is stupid as hell
              Read the OP. Otherwise "this is why GGG haters are such a polarizing fanbase" because you guys insult people who speak facts and share interviews and new info with you that you haven't heard before, rather than hear them out and look into the information to see for yourselves.

Comment

Aight I think this is the one. https://youtu.be/TIiZkOAqlFk?t=38

"Even the Cubans, when we were in Venezuela, when was that, '07? Every day we get in the breakfast line, there'd be ten Cubans in the breakfast line, ten Americans, and ten guys from England, ten guys from (inaudible), and then one day we got in the line and was only 3 Cubans but there was 5 coaches surrounding them, because they had defected. I wish I had known what I know now when I been talking to guys like GGG. So yeah, he was great, and he caused a lot of havoc with his pinpoint punching and the power that he had, so we were never successful against him, yeah, he was very good." --- Kenny Porter

OK everyone? So you can stop hating on me, and GGG for that matter. You guys think we overrate him, but maybe we have just done more research and found out just how good and feared he really was in his prime? He never got the opportunities in his prime in the pros to show it, so all we have to go off of are interviews like this, and GGG's dominant performances vs the guys who were willing to get in the ring with him during his prime. Our "biased GGG fan" opinions are just as valid as your opinions are about him, probably a lot more because clearly we have spent more time learning about his career than his non-fans or haters have.
                Last edited by Boxing Logic; 01-17-2019, 03:14 AM.

Comment

stop posting

you suck

This is stupid as hell
                  You guys owe someone an apology. https://youtu.be/TIiZkOAqlFk?t=38.

Hint: Me.

Comment

Cuban athletes defect. It’s what they do. Any tournament outside the country is an opportunity to defect, turn pro and make money for them and their family instead of getting brain damage for their country.

So they were likely defecting regardless.

Comment

Working...
                    X