Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guillermo Rigondeaux Technical Discussion (I'm Putting You on the Spot)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rigo's Style

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
    I see a lot of quotes like this:

People on this forum always talk about how Rigo is one of the most highly skilled fighter with all-time great talent. One of the best pure boxers who has ever lived. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but I have yet to see anybody explain the "how"?

The typical responses are:

1. He's amazing at controlling distance, he's a great counter puncher, has great footwork, great power and great speed.

2. If you don't understand what you are watching, you just don't understand why Rigo is so great.

They dance around the question when confronted about it. Don't get me wrong, I'm in rehab for being mentally Rigotarded. But I'm not delusional. How can anyone with a straight face place Rigo among fighters like Whitaker, Duran, Mayweather, Hopkins or even an Andre Ward when:

1. He hasn't faced the diverse range of styles that those fighters have had to face.

2. He hasn't shown the versatility those fighters have shown...like

a. The ability to throw punches from all ranges,

b. fight inside, outside, mid-range, off the ropes, front foot back, foot, etc. etc.

c. vary their offensive attack and mix up their combinations

The arguments for Rigondeaux (he controls distance well, has great footwork, is a great counter puncher, has great timing, has great IQ, etc.) can be said for every fighter I listed.

But the fighters I listed are much more diverse, well rounded fighters than Rigondeaux and have proven it against every style imaginable.

So what I'm going to do, is give each and every one of you, the opportunity to back up your arguments about Rigondeaux's greatness. And I don't want to hear **** like "You DKSAB, if you knew what you were watching, you would see what I see".

You're not getting off that easy. Back up your statements because to me, as great as he is, you just can't put him in the category of these all time great fighters.
    There's levels G, and Rigo's footwork is better than most of those guys. He's never been gifted wins like those guys but also is subject to the competition in his weight class and was ducked way more than any of those fighters

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
      I see a lot of quotes like this:

People on this forum always talk about how Rigo is one of the most highly skilled fighter with all-time great talent. One of the best pure boxers who has ever lived. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but I have yet to see anybody explain the "how"?

The typical responses are:

1. He's amazing at controlling distance, he's a great counter puncher, has great footwork, great power and great speed.

2. If you don't understand what you are watching, you just don't understand why Rigo is so great.

They dance around the question when confronted about it. Don't get me wrong, I'm in rehab for being mentally Rigotarded. But I'm not delusional. How can anyone with a straight face place Rigo among fighters like Whitaker, Duran, Mayweather, Hopkins or even an Andre Ward when:

1. He hasn't faced the diverse range of styles that those fighters have had to face.

2. He hasn't shown the versatility those fighters have shown...like

a. The ability to throw punches from all ranges,

b. fight inside, outside, mid-range, off the ropes, front foot back, foot, etc. etc.

c. vary their offensive attack and mix up their combinations

The arguments for Rigondeaux (he controls distance well, has great footwork, is a great counter puncher, has great timing, has great IQ, etc.) can be said for every fighter I listed.

But the fighters I listed are much more diverse, well rounded fighters than Rigondeaux and have proven it against every style imaginable.

So what I'm going to do, is give each and every one of you, the opportunity to back up your arguments about Rigondeaux's greatness. And I don't want to hear **** like "You DKSAB, if you knew what you were watching, you would see what I see".

You're not getting off that easy. Back up your statements because to me, as great as he is, you just can't put him in the category of these all time great fighters.
      Given the fact that Rigo lost last night, what do you think of his performance and how much he’s tried to open up his offense yet still has issues due to so many razor thin close decisions he is engaged in

Comment

Working...
      X