Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you get speed strength and stamina?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you get speed strength and stamina?

I'm a boxer, I know the best boxer ever (perhaps Ray Robinson) had speed, strength and could keep going a long time.
    Fast twitch muscle fibres (type IIx) are both fast and strong and would be perfect for boxing but unfortunately run out of energy quick, that's why sprinters can't sprint for 500+ meters right? So of course I want to be fast, strong and have stamina. My question is, if you target and work fast-twitch muscle fibres specifically (by hitting the heavy bag fast and hard) and for a long time, is it possible for my muscle fibres to adapt to the work load and get more stamina, whilst not loosing speed and strength? basically can I have type IIx fibres that DON'T run out of energy quick?
    if so what should I do in the gym to adapt my muscles for stamina AND strength+speed?

thanks for your help.

There is a lot more to stamina than just muscle fibers for example your vo2 max, lactate threshold and of course part of it is mental.

If you want to increase strenght/power you should do a lot of explosive training, power cleans,push presses clap pushups, short sprints, and a lot of plyometrics.

For mucle endurance you should do reps of 12+

And for overall stamina you should jump rope, run/jog, swim, do sprints with short recoveries for example going uphill running for about 200 meters at 70-90% pace and the recovery would be you jogging to the point where you started and then starting over. You can alternate the distance you run and your recovery of course but the recoveries should stay pretty short.

I think you should use all of those styles of training, and of course keep boxing and the better you get the more efficient you'll become. Some times you should do some ''basic'' strenght training as well with set of around 8.

This is just my opinion and part of what i do.
    Last edited by t.n; 11-19-2017, 02:01 AM.

Comment

It comes down to training and genetics in some areas. It depends on what your goals are and what you intend to achieve.

T.n has already outlined some great advice above.

Comment

Reading up on the training regimens of elite pros is always fun, or watching videos of them doing strength/conditioning type drills. I have no plans to ever be in a boxing ring again, but still like to try and mimic the training I see the top pros do during my workouts. Adding something new here and there that you see one of them do makes things more fun.

Comment

Working...
        X