No announcement yet.

Holloway-Ortega, Jedrzejczyk-Shevchenko - UFC 231, Tortonto

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holloway-Ortega, Jedrzejczyk-Shevchenko - UFC 231, Tortonto

Toronto, Canada – UFC® hits Toronto with a pair of thrilling world title fights, headlined by featherweight champion Max Holloway going for his second defense against undefeated No.1 contender Brian Ortega. Also, in a bout for the vacant women’s flyweight championship, former strawweight titleholder Joanna Jedrzejczyk battles No.1-ranked contender Valentina Shevchenko. UFC® 231: HOLLOWAY vs. ORTEGA takes place Saturday, Dec. 8 from Scotiabank Arena and will air live on Pay-Per-View.

Currently riding one of the most impressive win streaks in UFC history, Holloway (19-3, fighting out of Waianae, Hawaii) secured his first successful title defense with a spectacular TKO win over former titleholder Jose Aldo in December. During his run, he’s earned victories against former lightweight champ Anthony Pettis, Ricardo Lamas, Jeremy Stephens and Cub Swanson. Holloway aims to continue his dominant ways by dispatching an undefeated title threat.

Ortega (14-0 1NC, fighting out of Los Angeles, Calif.) has been on a tear since joining the UFC in 2014. In his last three outings, he’s taken home four Fight Night bonuses, and in March, he became the first fighter to finish former lightweight champ Frankie Edgar. Known for his incredible grappling and evolving striking, he’s also finished Cub Swanson, Renato Moicano, Clay Guida and Thiago Tavares. With a UFC title in his sights, Ortega plans to hand Holloway his first loss in more than five years.

In the co-main event, former kickboxing rivals throw down for UFC gold.

The most dominant strawweight champ in UFC history, Jedrzejczyk (15-2, fighting out of Olsztyn, Poland) focuses her attention on the burgeoning 125-pound division. An aggressive and devastating Muay Thai striker, she’s delivered crowd-pleasing victories against Tecia Torres, Jessica Andrade, Karolina Kowalkiewicz and Claudia Gadelha (twice). She’s now on the cusp of becoming the first female two-division champion in UFC history.

A former bantamweight title challenger, Shevchenko (15-3, fighting out of Lima, Peru by way of Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan) put the flyweight division on notice with a vicious submission win over Priscila Cachoeira in February. The 17-time world Muay Thai champion also holds spectacular victories against former women’s bantamweight champ Holly Holm, Julianna Pena and Sarah Kaufman. She now looks to make good on her second UFC championship opportunity.

Additional bouts on the card include:

No.5-ranked light heavyweight contender Jimi Manuwa (17-4, fighting out of London, England)battles fellow KO artist Thiago Santos (19-6, fighting out of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)

Strawweight contenders collide when No.3-ranked Claudia Gadelha (16-3, fighting out of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil) takes on No.11 Nina Ansaroff (9-5, fighting out of Weston, Fla., USA)

No.13-ranked Elias Theodorou (16-2, fighting out of Toronto, Canada) battles hard-hitting Eryk Anders (11-2, fighting out of Birmingham, Ala., USA)

In an exciting lightweight bout, Olivier Aubin-Mercier (12-3, fighting out of Montreal, Canada) meets Gilbert Burns (14-3, fighting out of Boca Raton, Fla., USA by way of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)

THE ULTIMATE FIGHTER: UNDEFEATED® winner Brad Katona (8-0, fighting out of Winnipeg, Canada) locks horns with Matthew Lopez (10-4, fighting out of Denver, Colo., USA)

Chad Laprise (14-3, fighting out of Chatham, Ont., Canada) faces Dhiego Lima (14-7, fighting out of Atlanta, Ga., USA) in a clash of welterweight strikers

John Makdessi (16-6, fighting out of Montreal, Canada) goes for his third straight victory when he takes on Diego Ferreira (13-2, fighting out of Pharr, Texas, USA by way of Amazonas, Brazil)

Hakeem Dawodu (8-1-1, fighting out of Calgary, Canada) aims to keeps momentum rolling against gritty Kyle Bochniak (8-3, fighting out of Boston, Mass., USA)

Devin Clark (9-2, fighting out of Sioux Falls, S.D., USA) looks to turn back surging Aleksandar Rakic (9-1, fighting out of Vienna, Austria)

So much for Joanna thinking she's still better than Rose. She knows deep down now that she's not.

Comment

So that chick that looks like The Predator isn't getting a title shot. Thats good anyway. That sh^t even had Rogan going wtf & he's usually putting his rose colored glasses on UFC sh^t.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
        So that chick that looks like The Predator isn't getting a title shot. Thats good anyway. That sh^t even had Rogan going wtf & he's usually putting his rose colored glasses on UFC sh^t.
        Who looks like The Predator? Last time I heard that comparison, Jay Mohr said that about Venus Williams.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
          Who looks like The Predator? Last time I heard that comparison, Jay Mohr said that about Venus Williams.
          That Sinjagh Eubank chick or w/e her name is. They were giving her the 125 vacant title shot last I heard.

Comment

Really looking forward to Ortega/Holloway. My brain says Holloway but my gut says Ortega. Can Holloway still safely make FW?

Either way they are both young warriors willing to challenge themselves and they are both big boys who will fight at LW eventually. Max has had a really, REALLY unfortunate year so I hope people haven't forgotten that he is the p4p#1 badass of the UFC, no fear at all!

Comment

I think Ortega beats Holloway.

Comment

Originally posted by RomanReigns View Post
                I think Ortega beats Holloway.
                I go with this as well.

Comment

Working...
                X