No announcement yet.

In-House Fight Night - Dec 7th

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mental Approach
    I felt I did well in this area. Though my nerves were apparent here and there, and I had a few episodes of my heart really pounding leading up to the fight, I felt I did "well" given my level of boxing experience. The 20 fighters had various levels of anxiety and fear of the unknown. Combat isn't foreign to me so I leaned on past experiences to prepare myself. I can always improve here, though. I don't want this to replace having a healthy dose of respect for things I need to work on.

Comment

• Defense
      Defense was my biggest weakness entering this entire journey, and it still is. I think this is "normal." Like fitness, you can KNOW it is something to be focused on, but you don't how much until the fight. When testing myself by sparring, I knew this was improving, but I certainly wasn't ready for the pressure I received. When I go back to look at the video, I may see there is a HUGE gap between where I am and where I need to go. In sparring, I worked on being pressured but didn't simulate this level. This will continue to be worked on.

For the others, I watched some really good amateur (Fight Night) defense and I witness some that were terrible. Usually, the terrible defense was because they allowed their offense to put their hands, arms, head, and body in a bad position.

Comment

• Offense
        Another thing I felt I did well at given the timespan. I put enough time in on this by doing individual drills then applying them to mitts and sparring that I didn't have to give too much thought to what I was going to do when engaged. Certainly, I would approach with something in mind, but once it started, I didn't have to focus on it. I'll build on this.

The group of fighters and the event is evolving and as it does you can see the abilities (offense, defense, movement, fitness, etc) going along with it. Some still have the "Rock Em, Sock Em Robot" approach but I think they will get better as time goes along.

Comment

• Movement
          This could have been in Defense or Offense but shouldn't they really flow together? I worked on my movement quite a bit. Not enough. I'm going to improve upon the situation that caused me distress and get better.

I would rate my movement as a "B-" overall. Removing the level of pressure I received I'll give myself decent marks. This grade is given from the perspective of where I was until now. If I go into the next fight with the SAME abilities then I'd get a "D-", so keep that point of view in mind.

What will help in this area is to keep getting leaner and work on work on lower body strength and explosiveness as my calf/leg allows. Agility as well. I'll certainly put in the time and become better at what I DO with that time as I progress.

Comment

• Hey, you atleast got up there and threw down. You didn't get hurt and now you have some experience. That's more than the guys who are throwing sheeit at you. Fvnk them! So what are you planning to do with this experience that you've gained? ……...Rockin'

Comment

• Look at your build, wtf are you focusing on dancing around the ring? How much dancing did Tyson do? Ezactly! You're going to have to push a fight with your lack of height, taller heavyweights will have you eating jabs all night long, fighting from the outside. Gotta learn to be in the pocket, cool under fire. Roll his shots and conter with your shots. Watch James Toney......Rockin'

Comment

• Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                Look at your build, wtf are you focusing on dancing around the ring? How much dancing did Tyson do? Ezactly! You're going to have to push a fight with your lack of height, taller heavyweights will have you eating jabs all night long, fighting from the outside. Gotta learn to be in the pocket, cool under fire. Roll his shots and conter with your shots. Watch James Toney......Rockin'
                I'm not dancing, I'm moving. For defensive purposes and for offensive purposes. I would say if you watched me you would certainly see I'm not attempting to dance at all.

As for the other things you said .... "yes". All was in the plan and worked on but .... it didn't work out that way. I hope to improve and do just what you said.

Comment

Hey, you atleast got up there and threw down. You didn't get hurt and now you have some experience. That's more than the guys who are throwing sheeit at you. Fvnk them! So what are you planning to do with this experience that you've gained? ……...Rockin'
                  Thanks.

I plan on doing what you mentioned in the above post. I plan on becoming better and improving on what my body and mind allow. I plan on continuing to get leaner which will give me a BIT more mobility and speed, but though I'll get faster, I'll never be FAST. No problem, I have other things I can use.

I also need to learn to deal with a taller and far more powerful fighter. I thought I had decently worked on that, but either I just blew it, or I didn't work enough.

Though in my fight I was shorter, I am 6'2" and generally I'm the taller of the fighters. If I improve at working the inside it can only make me a much better fighter.

All said I think I just blew it. First fight? Not sure but I'm always going to focus on improving and not write it off to the first combat situation in over 25 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by WonderMonkey View Post
                    Thanks.

I plan on doing what you mentioned in the above post. I plan on becoming better and improving on what my body and mind allow. I plan on continuing to get leaner which will give me a BIT more mobility and speed, but though I'll get faster, I'll never be FAST. No problem, I have other things I can use.

I also need to learn to deal with a taller and far more powerful fighter. I thought I had decently worked on that, but either I just blew it, or I didn't work enough.

Though in my fight I was shorter, I am 6'2" and generally I'm the taller of the fighters. If I improve at working the inside it can only make me a much better fighter.

All said I think I just blew it. First fight? Not sure but I'm always going to focus on improving and not write it off to the first combat situation in over 25 years.
                    How old are you? …...Rockin'

Comment

How old are you? …...Rockin'
                      50. I turn 51 in March.

Comment

Working...
                      X