No announcement yet.

Michael Moorer vs Max Baer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by New England View Post
    dude if you think those two are in the same atmosphere with punhing power you are out of your mind. do you really think baer hits as hard?

deontay wilder and max baer?
    the f#ck are you even talking about!

louis was a better overall fighter than moorer for a number of reasons, but moorer benefitted from 40-50 years of schooling and knowledge, high quality tapes to look at, etc, that edified the kind of precision you'd get coming out of the kronk gym. believe me whan i say that it wasn't developed idly, and that precision and super calculated delivery of power like mclellan, hearns, moorer, would be completely new to baer. it's just a fact that baer was incredibly crude when compared to both louis and moorer, hearns.

FFs did you watch the fight that keeps getting posted? dude literally flaills with his back hand like a kid. do i need to point out where this happens, and why you don't take serioulsy a guy who is so unschooled that in a moment of excitement or duress his instinct is to flail with the back of his glove? he swings his right hand from his pocket and you're taught not to do that as a 6-8 year old today! the fact is that he wouldn't have those kinds of instincts if he was really a modern boxer and not incredibly crude. and a sharpshooter like moorer who is also left handed and could bang very hard would have no problem at all connecting at any point in the fight.

baer would have a hard time landing a punch. believe me, you can find crude HW who can punch in any era. you coldn't find a southpaw like moorer until lefties stepped off of the pitching mound.

where does he win the fight? inside flailing away like that? just trust me when i say that moorer uses the ring well enough that that is not going to happen without a huge price getting paid! and when they got close i'd expect moorer to be just fine physically, max baer was big in 1935 but not today! he'd be a small HW and his advantages would be hysterically mute. i played hockey with bigger dudes! you'll see bigger framed dudes at a planet fitness .

so again, what does he do, exactly? punch as hard as wilder ? you're nuts!
    Wilder doesn’t have half the quality knockouts that Baer has. Knocking out Schmelling literally takes a steaming ****e over anything Wilder has done. Acting like they are in a different stratosphere

I take it you haven’t seen the Moorer vs Cooper fight if you think just ‘flailing away’ (lol) wouldn’t have any success. Cooper attacked Moorer about as crudely as you can and had him all over the place. You massively overrate Moorers defence and his movement as a HW. Just watch his fights. He was easy to draw into a brawl and was not particularly difficult to find once you got him there. Sure he was skilled offensively, but defensively he was seriously lacking, coupled with a below average chin? Oh boy.

Where in the hell has this overrating of Moorer come from? The guy was good but his only true claim to fame is beating a clearly, famously, poor version of Holyfield, and outboxing a 197 year old George Foreman before getting KTFO.

Btw, even modern punchers gloves have a duck load of padding around the fist which helps defensively compared to old days. I wasn’t talking about how hard they hit, I was talking about his ability to defend himself using his preferred high guard and old 1930s gloves.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
      Wilder doesn’t have half the quality knockouts that Baer has. Knocking out Schmelling literally takes a steaming ****e over anything Wilder has done. Acting like they are in a different stratosphere

I take it you haven’t seen the Moorer vs Cooper fight if you think just ‘flailing away’ (lol) wouldn’t have any success. Cooper attacked Moorer about as crudely as you can and had him all over the place. You massively overrate Moorers defence and his movement as a HW. Just watch his fights. He was easy to draw into a brawl and was not particularly difficult to find once you got him there. Sure he was skilled offensively, but defensively he was seriously lacking, coupled with a below average chin? Oh boy.

Where in the hell has this overrating of Moorer come from? The guy was good but his only true claim to fame is beating a clearly, famously, poor version of Holyfield, and outboxing a 197 year old George Foreman before getting KTFO.

Btw, even modern punchers gloves have a duck load of padding around the fist which helps defensively compared to old days. I wasn’t talking about how hard they hit, I was talking about his ability to defend himself using his preferred high guard and old 1930s gloves.

dude bert cooper was trained by joe frazier and actually threw combinations. baer literally slapped schmelling with his backhand, i don't care if you can't distinguish between the two, one guy is crude and the other guy literally flailed around.

did you see what i am talking about in teh schmelling fight?

find me a single moorer opponent who flailed like that in the gym or in a pro fight and post it here. you won't find anything like that on TV post 1960. do i need to find you the timestamp in the video and do you know what i am talking abotu? when literally flails with his backhand and tries to hit him with his elbow?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post

put up a poll regarding who hits harder, wilder or max baer. it will be good to know who in the history section is a complete shutin who has never thrown or gotten hit by a punch in his life, and who actually looks at what they are watching and who just listens to people whose opinions appeal to them.

also, go find boxing pundits who agree with you. plenty of boxing pundits think wilder is one of the hardest punchers ever. because he is plan as day one of the hardest punchers ever.

Comment

put up a poll regarding who hits harder, wilder or max baer. it will be good to know who in the history section is a complete shutin who has never thrown or gotten hit by a punch in his life, and who actually looks at what they are watching and who just listens to people whose opinions appeal to them.

also, go find boxing pundits who agree with you. plenty of boxing pundits think wilder is one of the hardest punchers ever. because he is plan as day one of the hardest punchers ever.
          Yeah he was only ranked no.22 on the Rings hardest punchers of all time list, the 7th highest HW. I can’t think how he could possible KO Michael Moorer who was known to have a dodgy chin.

Btw you keep bringing up that back slap. Yes I’ve seen it. Baer was known for his weird antics in the ring. Famous for them. If you think he was doing that because he didn’t know what to do then honestly I don’t know what to tell you. He was pissing about like Baer did all the freakin’ time.

Do you want me to find you some clips of Wilders crazy moves? I bet he was trying fight seriously as well

Anyway this is all a massive digression. Baer hits plenty hard enough to badly hurt Moorer. Moorers overrated defence (at HW) was not good enough to firmly say he would stay out of danger vs a killer like Baer over 12, or especially 15, rounds

We are going round in circles now and I always stop these debates when it gets that way. Feel free to have the last word.

Comment

I like this poll idea here. Would be some interesting takes.

Comment

Wilder is very unproven. He may at some point prove himself but right now he is an unproven entity. Short career so far against shoddy competition. Baer on the other side of the equation koed Max Schmeling a former hwt champion of the world and a Top hwt contender for more than a decade. Baer at his best was a very dangerous hwt.

Comment

All those funny stories about Baer.

Once, before a fight (and before he won the title), he showed reporters in his changing room how much beating he could take by banging his head real hard into a heating element.

I read about this incident in a very funny Baer-biography in the 1970s, and as I recall it, Baer lost that fight.

Comment

Dumb post no one even made amateurs fighting like they did in max time in 70s-80s,Moorer destroys him 1st round, everyone who said max wins is a idiot
                  Last edited by Ascended; 02-01-2024, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascended View Post
                    Dumb post no one even made amateurs fighting like they did in max time in 70s-80s,Moorer destroys him 1st round, everyone who said max wins is a idiot
                    - - Y U the proverbial Idiot's IDIOT?

Moorer made his pro debut in March 1988 and fought until 2008.

Max career 1929-1941.

When they kick U out of grade school for the last time?

Comment

There is no guarantee who wins this one, but Baer can likely take Moorers punch which would make this fight similar to the Foreman fight. It would depend if Baer can catch Moorer. Because Baer struggled with small fast guys I give a slight nod to Moorer.

Moorer should get the nod over George as well, even though the probabilities didn’t work in his favor, he was out classing George and probably could have eased off and won a decision. If Moorer goes to take out Baer the same thing is gonna happen.

Comment

Working...
                      X