Let me give you an idea on how great Roy Jones Jr really was

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
    No.

Charles is one of the most rounded boxers ive ever seen. Ive seen him mix like a brawler inside, box peoples heads off, bang people out in a few rounds. He had it all. And he proved it vs multiple greats, sometimes multiple times.

Charles had 'meh' power, doe

Sattefield's chin rivals Amir Khan's but Charles still had good power.

Not like a Roy Jones though.

Comment

So Hopkins pre prime (great win though) and James Toney already looking out of shape and struggling with his weight?

Again, great win. But does it even come close to the amount of top level wins other great LHW's have?

Guys like Charles, Johnson, Moore, Tunney, Conn, Loughran have layers on layers of HoF level opponents and wins. Greb also from MW to LHW has an astonishing resume.

Also, saying he went from JMW is stretching the truth. He weighed in at the weight once in 74 bouts, and not at any sort of level, from what i can see on B'rec
      Is there any instance where James Toney wasn't "out of shape"?

Comment

He suffered the curse of being too good, which makes your every opponent a bum and ppl call you one.

Comment

Again. Just no. He's considered the greatest LHW of all time for a reason

If you dont know his career why talk about him?
          How many world title fights did he win at LHW?

And when you're done with that, since you are not old enough to have seen him fight, we're both speaking from what we've heard from other boxing experts and videos we've seen, are we not?

Well guess what, the only fights that I've seen of consequence from Charles are his battles with Walcott, Louis (his best win by a long, long way) and Marciano. All heavyweight fights. A glance at his record shows he was a LHW much of his career but I can't remember even seeing any of those fights or hearing them mentioned with his name really.

Again, just my opinion. Don't take it personally.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post

Saterfields chin made Khan's seem like granite. At least Khan was knocked out by punchers ranked in the top ten, that can't be said for Satterfield.

Comment

Originally posted by ghost94 View Post
              Prime Hopkins or middleweight Sugar Ray Robinson or Archie Moore at light heavyweight? Can you truly say he was the GOAT?
              As far as Hopkins goes he would beat Hopkins any version of him..

Comment

Charles has one of the best Ring IQ's of all time.

Boxing ability average? His boxing ability is AMAZING.

Also, he definitely wasn't more known for his work at HW. His best and most accomplished weight is by far 175.
                Totally wrong. He didn't even win a title at LHW that I know of. Nobody even ranks him based on those fights. It's the HW fights that he's remembered for really. His LHW run was made up of a bunch of losers really.

Comment

If Roy had sparked out a chinny cruiserweight today then no doubt it would be taken as proof of his power. Especially a twitching on the floor for the whole 10 count type KO.

I know you know Charles career much better than me, but he has plenty of KO's over good and great opponents from MW to HW that suggest he could crack.

I wouldnt put Roy much ahead of Charles as a puncher.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Goat View Post
                    Saterfields chin made Khan's seem like granite. At least Khan was knocked out by punchers ranked in the top ten, that can't be said for Satterfield.
                    Wouldn't go that far.

It was only pretty solid punchers who stopped him. If you caught him solid he was easy to rock and stop but again only solid punchers and up stopped him.

And he even survived and beat some good punchers too so I definitely don't agree with that statment.

Comment

Is there any instance where James Toney wasn't "out of shape"?
                      Good point. And as well established by yourself he was quite overhyped. Certainly not on the level of Charles best wins imo

Comment

Working...
                      X