Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whey Protein is a must to build/maintain muscle fast, avoid Commercial brands

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whey Protein is a must to build/maintain muscle fast, avoid Commercial brands

After years of lifting and working out, I realized that supplementing Protein is a must. Years ago I used to lift weights early years of college and would take protein powders I recovered faster, and built up leaner muscle quicker, it takes time like anything else but it helps get in the protein you need to build muscle or else you would have to constantly be eating whole meals through the day.

I put on 15 pounds in like 5 months when I took whey when I was 24, fast foward I stopped workiing out due to a busy schedule a several years later decided to lift again, but this time without any whey powders, reason I stopped taking Whey before was the ones I took like EAS, and BSN gave me digestive issues and im not lactose intolerant, so I stopped taking them

What I found out after 4 months of working out just eating regular food and getting my protein from whole food was my recovery time took longer, and I was getting full from eating steak and chicken meals 4 times a day. I didnt see any size gains either, I feel as you get older you need to supplement.

So I decided to do research and purchased some Whey that was clean no artificial stuff or heavy toxic medals just quality source, I been on them for a few weeks and see the difference, my muscle soreness goes away after a while, compared to without whey, I also feel my muscles fuller and harder and stronger and I can get my protein without having to feel bloated I eat three whole meals and two shakes a day. No diarrhea with these wheys either no intestine issues like with the commercial brands with added artificial sweeteners.

AVOID commercial protein powders at all costs! like EAS, BSN, muscle Tech, Muscle Milk, Gaspari, GNC.

Opt for natural or Grass fed Whey its a bit pricey but you really only need to drink Whey once or twice a day as a supplement to help you get the extra protein you need to build and or maintain muscle mass.

they are just high priced chemical garbage. With low quality whey mostly from china and very few potency. I remember consumer report tested several big label powders and almost all of them had toxic metals in them that if you drank them two to 3 times daily for a year would destroy your digestive system they also contain artificial flavor and sweeterners like surcralose, and emulsifiers like caragean that will cause inflammation of the intestines.

Cadium was found, its very toxic for kidneys and stays in your system of years

We purchased 15 protein powders and drinks mainly in the New York metro area or online and tested multiple samples of each for arsenic, cadmium, lead, and mercury. The results showed a considerable range, but levels in three products were of particular concern because consuming three servings a day could result in daily exposure to arsenic, cadmium, or lead exceeding the limits proposed by USP.

We found that three daily servings of the ready-to-drink liquid EAS Myoplex Original Rich Dark Chocolate Shake provides an average of 16.9 micrograms (µg) of arsenic, exceeding the proposed USP limit of 15 µg per day, and an average of 5.1 µg of cadmium, which is just above the USP limit of 5 µg per day. Concentrations in most products were relatively low, but when taking into account the large serving size suggested, the number of micrograms per day for a few of the products was high compared with most others tested.

The samples of Muscle Milk Chocolate powder we tested contained all four heavy metals, and levels of three metals in the product were among the highest of all in our tests. Average cadmium levels of 5.6 µg in three daily servings slightly exceeded the USP limit of 5 µg per day, and the average lead level of 13.5 µg also topped the USP limit of 10 µg per day. The average arsenic level of 12.2 µg was approaching the USP limit of 15 µg per day, and the average for mercury was 0.7 µg, well below the USP's 15 µg-per-day limit. Three daily servings of Muscle Milk Vanilla Crème contained 12.2 µg of lead, exceeding lead limits, and 11.2 µg of arsenic. A fourth product, Muscle Milk Nutritional Shake Chocolate (liquid), provided an average of 14.3 µg of arsenic per day from three servings, approaching the proposed USP limit.

Cadmium raises special concern because it accumulates in and can damage the kidneys, the same organs that can be damaged by excessive protein consumption. And it can take 20 years for the body to eliminate even half the cadmium absorbed today.

"This is a highly toxic metal, and while there are some cases where decisions have to be weighed against relative risks, accepting that you have to be exposed to any cadmium at all in your protein drink after your workout is definitely not one of them," says Michael Harbut, M.D., director of the Environmental Cancer Initiative at the Karmanos Cancer Institute in Royal Oak, Mich.

"When these toxic heavy metals are combined in a product that is marketed for daily use, that raises serious public health concerns, especially for pregnant women, children, and young adults," says Burns, who has been a toxicology consultant to state and federal government agencies.
    http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...ound/index.htm

There are the Whey Proteins I take:

Bobs Red Mill whey

from grass fed cows no additive, no artificial flavoring and uses Sunflower Letchin instead of Soy, it also great for mixing in smoothes or ovaltine/Chocolate shake. It cost like 12.99 online they also sell them in the stores like Big Lots for cheap also around 12 to 14 bucks.

only thing is you have to use 1/4 cup of it and it doesn't come with a scooper so you need a measure cup it has around 17 servings.

Jarrow Formulas Virgin Whey Protein Isolate

22 bucks for 18 servings, real quality whey I use for postworkout I blend it with a banana and water and just down it quick.

Unflavored Virgin Whey Protein Isolate from Jarrow features undenatured whey directly from milk without any GMOs or rBST. This formula also features soy from lecithin. With a taste and texture similar to milk but with 22 g of protein and 12 g of essential amino acids per serving, this whey protein isolate can be mixed with cold water, milk, almond milk or juice. No wheat, gluten, egg, fish, shellfish, peanuts, tree nuts, artificial flavors or artificial sweeteners.

only downside is it contains soy but its minor, plus I only use this on postworkout so Ill drink it maybe like 4 times a week.

Jarrow Formulas Grass Fed Whey Protein

unlike the Jarrow Isolate this one doesnt contain soy, it contains Sunflower Letchin instead which is much better.

Jarrow Formulas® Grass Fed Whey Protein comes from South Australian cows fed grass year round and not treated with growth hormone (rBST) or antibiotics. South Australia is a temperate climate zone, which allows the dairy cows to roam the open pastures, untainted by pesticides.
    Jarrow Formulas® Grass Fed Whey Protein is a good source of calcium (100 mg per serving) and rich in essential amino acids (9.3 g per serving).

Other Ingredients: 100% Pure Grass Fed Whey Protein Concentrate, Non-GMO Sunflower Lecithin, Natural Chocolate Flavor, Organic Cocoa Powder, Natural Coconut Flavor, Lo Han Guo (Momordica grosvenorii)

If you have more money Promix Grassfed whey is supposed to be top dog

Comment

Not so true, what did people do before whey protein was commercialized? They ate real food.
      Whey is a supplement. Without the right whole foods going into your body no supplement is going to help you.

Comment

I put on 10 lbs in a little over 2 months without the use of any supplements whatsoever. Eat big and lift those are the secrets.

Comment

Either works (natural food or protein powder) but personally I find it most efficient to take both.

I eat eggs and egg whites often, and I take Two type of Whey isolate powder as well.

Comment

Originally posted by palacboxing View Post
            Not so true, what did people do before whey protein was commercialized? They ate real food.
            Whey is a supplement. Without the right whole foods going into your body no supplement is going to help you.
            Whey is a natural food, whey is not a chemical thats why I said avoid commercial brands filled with bad additives.

Thousands of years later, rather than letting it go sour, separating the curds from the whey in order to make cheese was accomplished by adding an enzyme to fresh whole milk, but the whey was still thrown out. About 2,500 years ago, someone decided to drink it and realized its health benefits. In fact, the father of modern medicine, Hippocrates, prescribed it to his patients in 330 BC; he called it “serum.” His prescription was later picked up by Galen, another ancient doctor who lived in the Roman Empire. Since then, it has been used all over the world to treat illness and improve health.

Comment

i wouldnt say its 'essential' really, strangely i think whey is more essential when you are cutting where you want a set amount of protein without the added calories, rather than actually trying to put on muscle, where you are probably better just eating eggs, steak etc

Comment

Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
                i wouldnt say its 'essential' really, strangely i think whey is more essential when you are cutting where you want a set amount of protein without the added calories, rather than actually trying to put on muscle, where you are probably better just eating eggs, steak etc
                Whey is the best for me since I dont ant to put on fat, bulking is the old school way, eating lean with carbs only on workout days is the best diet in my opinion.

Grass Fed whey is the best with no chemicals, why is really the only bodybuilding supplement to me that is worth anything, you can do without creatine, aminos, preworkout nitric oxide etc. But whey is really the top staple in general.

Comment

Originally posted by hectari View Post
                  Whey is the best for me since I dont ant to put on fat, bulking is the old school way, eating lean with carbs only on workout days is the best diet in my opinion.

Grass Fed whey is the best with no chemicals, why is really the only bodybuilding supplement to me that is worth anything, you can do without creatine, aminos, preworkout nitric oxide etc. But whey is really the top staple in general.
                  fair enough mate, was just my two cents on the subject. im no expert.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
                    fair enough mate, was just my two cents on the subject. im no expert.
                    Do you take whey or ever have? I think the most cost efficient form of protein is EGGS.

The best source for testosterone rich protein is Steak obviously

The best tasting fish protein is Salmon hands down plus it is healthy with fish oil for brain, skin, hair and eyes.

Comment

Working...
                    X