Is there a break in period for new gloves? Knuckles rubbed raw in gloves

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a break in period for new gloves? Knuckles rubbed raw in gloves

Hi All,
    I bought a brand new pair of 16 oz. Twins Special gloves for use in my boxing class. During the first class with the gloves we worked the heavy bag periodically throughout class, going back and forth from partner drills to the heavy bag. Towards the end of the class the middle knuckle of the middle finger on my left hand started to feel sore, like the glove was rubbing it raw. But the knuckle where the middle finger attaches to the hand was fine as it was wrapped properly. Then the same knuckle on my right hand started hurting after that. This was my second class getting back into boxing training after a 3 year layoff. I am experiencing a very mild ache in both hands, which I experienced before when I trained. But I had never felt the soreness in my knuckle like I mentioned. I thought I may have been hitting the heavy bag with the portion of the glove where that part of the hand would be. After class I took some slow practice shots to the heavy bag and made sure I was focusing with hitting with the first two knuckles of the fist, but my middle finger middle knuckles still hurt. The gloves were well padded in that area so I was thinking maybe the gloves just need time to break in. My middle finger middle knuckles are red today and don't hurt unless I press on them.

Has anyone experienced such soreness? I found it strange because I had worked with many different gloves before and never had that problem. Could it be the padding is just a bit tough being new and just needs to be broken in? When I put my gloves on and make a fist the knuckle hurts because it's rubbing on the padding. Any suggestions? I'd hate to have to stop using these gloves as they were rather expensive.
    Thanks!!!

Gloves do need breaking in but your knuckles should be getting rubbed if your hands are wrapped properly

Comment

Sounds like you probably need to break your gloves in or you might not be wrapping your hands properly.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I think my hands are wrapped properly because I used to box before and never had an issue. I wrap my hands the same way I did in the past. My complaint is more regarding what's called the middle phalanx bone, which is the next bone / joint up from the fingertip joint. I'm able to make a complete fist while the hand is wrapped and within the glove, but that particular knuckle rubs the padding in the glove and after a while starts to hurt as soon as I go to make a fist. It's almost like there's too much padding and the padding is restricting the movement of the knuckle within the glove. I'm thinking about trying out another pair of gloves, perhaps the Title Gel gloves or maybe going up from a 16oz glove to a 20, 22, or 24 ouncer. I've heard good things about the Title Gel gloves and the Ring to Cage gloves.

Comment

I have those gloves and they are stiff for a while but break in well. Never had your problem. This sounds like a wrap problem.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by Soju View Post
            I have those gloves and they are stiff for a while but break in well. Never had your problem. This sounds like a wrap problem.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android
            Thanks Soju! I'll look into some alternate ways of wrapping my hands. I usually wrap between the knuckles. Maybe I should try not wrapping in between. I read some people prefer that method.

Comment

Knuckles are raw in new Ringside Bag gloves

Hi, I know this is an old post, but I'm having the same issue of my second knuckles being rubbed raw, to the point of bleeding. I'm pretty new to boxing and for the first year I had a cheap pair of UFC sparring gloves (10 oz) for boxing and kickboxing classes. Even though they were cheap, they were awesome, held up well and my hands never hurt. But it was time for new ones and after a lot of research chose Ringside's IMF Super Bag gloves (12 oz). After the first class, the second knuckles on my index and middle fingers were raw. I just figured they needed a break-in period. However, now I've used them many times and even more knuckles started rubbing so I have to wrap all of my knuckles with sports tape to keep skin on my fingers! I did some searches to see if anyone else had the same issue and came across this forum. I thought maybe I wasn't wrapping my hands properly based on so many responses, so the last few times I had my coach wrap them, but that didn't help. I don't know if these gloves are just too stiff so I'm not able to turn my hand enough to do proper punches, or they're just the wrong gloves for me, but I'm frustrated (and in pain) and really liked these when I tried them on, they felt like a perfect fit. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for any help!

Comment

Working...
              X