Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why dont boxers use the straight lead? Its superior to the boxing power jab!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why dont boxers use the straight lead? Its superior to the boxing power jab!

There are only a few subtle difference between a power boxing jab and a straight lead, but they make quite a big difference to the performance of the punch.

I can do both and the straight lead is clearly superior. Faster more powerful more off balancing, more snappy, more painful etc just a more intelligently designed punch.

So why isn't it used?

Is it a case that boxers just use boxing and they don't think outside the box?

Do they think its inferior?

Do they not care?

Originally posted by Elroy1

In fact I have someone hold the bag for me at the gym and wing shots in similarly to Foreman and everybody stopt to watch me do it. They cannot believe how hard I can hit it, much harder than the weight lifters can. It looks and sounds verysimilar to Foreman here. It simply isn't special at all! The bag isn't hitting back and you just throw everything into it.
    .................................................. .......

Comment

Cause it's much harder to land. Go to a gym and try it out, ask someone to just use the jab and you just use the straight right.

Comment

They're too busy throwing the dragon punch.

Comment

If you're landing lead rights on orthodox fighters more often than your jab, your jab just sucks.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

what's a straight lead?
            leading with a right straight?
            or a "straight left hand"?
            (orthodox)

Comment

Originally posted by Ivansmamma View Post
              Cause it's much harder to land. Go to a gym and try it out, ask someone to just use the jab and you just use the straight right.
              its no harder to land than a power jab, easier to land than a left or right and u don't have to throw away a fast jab, you use it when you want to put power in your jab, you should do the straight lead like bruce did,

its just a better punch,

Comment

Originally posted by nivek535 View Post
                what's a straight lead?
                leading with a right straight?
                or a "straight left hand"?
                (orthodox)
                bruce lee's punch the straight lead, its basically a very powerful jab, see the 1 inch punch to see how powerful it is even at very close range, although he does cheat a bit by squaring the hips so much
                Last edited by AlexKid; 01-30-2015, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Oh that's what you're talking about. I thought you meant leading with the straight right, that's confusing as ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Soju View Post
                    Oh that's what you're talking about. I thought you meant leading with the straight right, that's confusing as ****.

thats why i asked :P
                    Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
                    bruce lee's punch the straight lead, its basically a very powerful jab, see the 1 inch punch to see how powerful it is even at very close range, although he does cheat a bit by squaring the hips so much
                    ok i know what you mean now.
                    as for the 1inch punch, that ****s dumb. but thats for another discussion.

as for the punch, why not always use it? in pro boxing, i can think of a few reasons:
                    1. fatigue quicker by doing this
                    2. want to vary your speed and power, keep your opponent guessing. same reason why you dont just throw your best punch over and over and over and over again unless you're danny garcia.
                    3. depending on how u define a "striaght lead", it could be slower. (ie. squared stance?)
                    4. weight distribution/stance cna be telegraphic (again, depending on how u define "straight lead")
                    5. if you simply mean a powerful jab, people do use it. the top fighters/ATGs use it. ****ty boxers ONLY use jabs as a set up.

i want to say the reason not everyone uses this is because: they're taught wrong when they learned to jab. "focus on speed and bull it back and use it as a set up" <--- this is true, but some people learned it wrong/overdo it like/use it all the time.

and to end the typical response to all your question~ it depends on situation!

Comment

Working...
                    X