No announcement yet.

What type of yoga is best for boxing? Seeking expert advice

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AddiX View Post
    Don't do yoga, maybe steal a few stretches when you warm up before working out, and for off days, but that's it.

Yoga is a workout, burns calories, drains the body, tires your muscles, etc.

If you want to get better at boxing, than box, leave yoga for the vegan sluts.
    About thirty years ago, Yoga was known for being used as an ancient way of training large amounts of warriors. Keeping entire armies fit. The feminine involvement came when it got Americanized. Have you tried it, in a packed studio?

Comment

The Yoga gets you high. The breathing and working and stimulating the tiny muscles in the body that you would not otherwise stimulate if doing regular boxing training. I hypothesize that a fighter who works these small tiny stabilizer muscles will be a stronger fighter. It helps me to achieve a state of mind that appreciates the current moment, a stillness, that makes it far easier to counterpunch

Comment

Boxer Lou Nova used to do yoga back in the '40s.

He even had a gimmick about developing a Cosmic Punch.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
          Boxer Lou Nova used to do yoga back in the '40s.

He even had a gimmick about developing a Cosmic Punch.
          Mayweather started using it for his last few fights.

Comment

Bikram is the truth, did my second class today, whooped my ass. Try it out, don't miss a breath or you'll be ****ed.

I think Porter did the Bikram because it doesn't put pressure on your boxing muscles like delts, etc the way other yogas do. There is no Down dog, and I noticed there is no, how do you say it...'chattaronda' is when you go low pushup position and then back up to updog, top of toes flip flat, then back again to down dog. but its good for core strength, teh standing stretches and breathing exercises are expanding my lungs.
            Last edited by Warrior Scholar; 03-08-2018, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Yoga is great for boxing. Helps you learn to breath properly. Great for all combat sports. Do yoga.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishDiscussion View Post
                Bikram is the truth, did my second class today, whooped my ass. Try it out, don't miss a breath or you'll be ****ed.

I think Porter did the Bikram because it doesn't put pressure on your boxing muscles like delts, etc the way other yogas do. There is no Down dog, and I noticed there is no, how do you say it...'chattaronda' is when you go low pushup position and then back up to updog, top of toes flip flat, then back again to down dog. but its good for core strength, teh standing stretches and breathing exercises are expanding my lungs.
                How long are the sessions?

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                  How long are the sessions?
                  Bikram Hot Yoga is 90 minutes in a hot humidified room, I bring coconut water and regular water for when I get dizzy. It is grueling, but afterwards it feels great to be finished, it's worth it.

The other yogas are generally around 1 hour or so and are performed in regular temperature rooms and focus more on stretching rather than straining, but the other yogas are not easy by any means. you will suffer, but it is good. the Bikram yoga focuses on breathing in constrained, confined positions. its really good for your heart system, lymphatic system. That's what the guy said.~ for example, stand with your right leg all the way back flat, ****ed at a 45 degree. Bring your forehead to your left knee and breathe, your hands can touch the floor, but your knee must touch the forehead with not much weight in the hands at all. breathe like this for several breaths. just a small example of some of the things they do, but the coolest thing is the beginner breathing, clamping hands together under neck pushing head up completely exhaling while touching elbows in front of chest, then, inhaling while pushing neck down onto top of gripped hands, inhaling all the way while elbows flare out to sides, continue inhaling until you can't anymore then exhale slowly, rinse and repeat

Comment

heated-room Yoga is most effective

Comment

Originally posted by RickLinus View Post
                      heated-room Yoga is most effective
                      Do you mean those hot yoga sessions?

Comment

Working...
                      X