Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could a prime Hector Camacho beat Salvador Sanchez?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I say no! The flat-footed boxer/puncher Camacho wouldn't have stood a chance against Salvador Sanchez because he would have been too strong and too fast for Hector.

"Macho" would have gotten clipped at some point in the fight. In addition, the more he would have sat down on his punches for power, the highly the likelihood of him being caught in one of the exchanges.

Comment

In my opinion no. Sanchez would easily beat him. It wouldn't be a close fight and Camacho would do a lot of holding and running. When ever Camacho fought a very high quality fighter in their prime like Chavez or Trinidad he ran and lost every round. Sanchez was a very high quality fighter. Camacho was never stopped and he would go the full distance with Sanchez.

Comment

That would be a great fight. Sanchez was tough guy great boxer and relentless. Camacho prompted SSR to comment and I thought I was fast. I'd love to have seen that matchup.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
          In my opinion no. Sanchez would easily beat him. It wouldn't be a close fight and Camacho would do a lot of holding and running. When ever Camacho fought a very high quality fighter in their prime like Chavez or Trinidad he ran and lost every round. Sanchez was a very high quality fighter. Camacho was never stopped and he would go the full distance with Sanchez.
          Hmmm...don't be so sure Dog, the prime Camacho was a super Featherwgt (130 lbs) & Lightwgt(135 lbs). See his fights with Melvin Paul, Luis Burke, Rafael Bazooka Limon, Boza Edwards, Edwin Rosario, Rafael Solis, & Jose Luiz Ramirez, Greg Coverson & Ray Mancini.

The Camacho that fought Trinidad & Oscar didn't have the movement that he had at 130 & 135 lbs, was past his prime & this was at welterwgt (147 lbs). His best wgt was 130 & 135 lbs.

A fight with Sanchez & Camacho with both in their prime would've been off the chains!!!

Comment

[QUOTE=champion4ever;17887058]I say no! The flat-footed boxer/puncher Camacho wouldn't have stood a chance against Salvador Sanchez because he would have been too strong and too fast for Hector.

The flatfooted Camacho was a wlterwgt past his prime, the matchup we are talking about is the Super Featherwgt & Lightwgt, since Sanchez eventually was going to move up from 126 lbs to 130 lbs. So you can't count the 147 lbs version. And no way in hell would Sanchez be faster than Camacho at 130 lbs & 135 lbs!

Comment

Sanchez would have found a way to get on the inside and outwork Camacho. Hector had blazing hand speed and it would be a great fight, no doubt. But I see Sanchez wearing him down and getting to him in the later rounds via UD.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
                Sanchez would have found a way to get on the inside and outwork Camacho. Hector had blazing hand speed and it would be a great fight, no doubt. But I see Sanchez wearing him down and getting to him in the later rounds via UD.
                Yes, while it is true that he had blazing hand speed. However he just wouldn't have enough punching power to keep Sanchez off him.

Comment

Originally posted by sugar ray lenrd View Post
                  The flatfooted Camacho was a wlterwgt past his prime, the matchup we are talking about is the Super Featherwgt & Lightwgt, since Sanchez eventually was going to move up from 126 lbs to 130 lbs. So you can't count the 147 lbs version. And no way in hell would Sanchez be faster than Camacho at 130 lbs & 135 lbs!
                  I don't know which Hector Camacho you are referring to but I'm referring to the 135 lbs boxer/puncher Hector Camacho who faced Edwin Rosario in 1986 by squaring up flat-footed and who was clipped and badly hurt several times by him throughout the bout. That version of Camacho would have lost to Sanchez at 130.

I'll grant you that Camacho would have had the size advantage because he has never competed at the 126 lbs weight division as a pro. However post Rosario, the 140 Camacho would have stood a much better chance of defeating Sanchez, due to his defensive prowess and his unwillingness and reluctance to exchange punches with him.

The reason why is that Camacho had become just a pure boxer by that time who was unwilling to engage. He would have never settled down on his punches for power. He would have implemented a lot of lower body movement, thereby making him very difficult for Sanchez to hit.

Comment

Prime Camacho, pre Rosario Version
                    was the real deal. He had a chance

Comment

Originally posted by The Viper View Post
                      lol please hector was crazy talented in his prime
                      Exactly. I would favor prime/healthy Camacho over Sanchez. Too fast/skilled and at 135 had decent pop as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X