Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Primo Carnera suffer from acromegaly?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only guy smart enough to get surgery to save his life was Paul White AKA The Big Show

Comment

I am curious as to how this fits against other Carnera numbers.

It is interesting that his opponent "Big Boy' Peterson at 6' 5 1/2'' - 205 lbs - with a 79" reach, was for his day a big boy in his own right.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
        The only guy smart enough to get surgery to save his life was Paul White AKA The Big Show
        Yeah we seem to know how to slow down the pituitary now medically. In other countries, you still hear about guys with the condition though. I think in Andre's case, he was in so much pain that he probably thought a longer life wasn't worth it. He did get back surgery when he needed it though.

Comment

--- Primo was also ww2 insurgent hero fighting against Mussolini during his illness.

Stain on the HOF when he has one of the best all time records with wins over his elected peers.

Comment

Jess Willard 1st from the left, Carnera, far right

Comment

Willard in this photo a much bigger man than Carnera.

Comment

Willard, Baer, Barr (I think) Coles (I think), Dempsey, Carnera.
                Willard was always billed 6'6 1/2" and weighed between 220 and 245lbs.
                Carnera was billed at 6' 5 1/2 and fought at 240 to 270lbs.

Ray
                Last edited by Ray Corso; 08-03-2018, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Does not appear this was the reality however. Willard is certainly taller.

Comment

The pic looks like it is distorted (somehow) by the camera angle; Baer at 6' 2 1/2" against Willard's 6' 6 1/2" looks correct but Dempsey (deeper into the background) looks smaller than his 6' 1" when compared to Baer. - I think the camera angle has somehow visually shrunk Dempsey and Carnera, a touch.

Comment

--- keep in mind that listed heights in boxing always unofficial.

Moreover even official weights can be tampered with as I've seen on boxrec and wiki over their existence.

In short, much hooey over nothing. It's the fight that count, not beauty measurements.

Comment

Working...
                      X