Collapse
No announcement yet.

Number of Punches Determines a Winner?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I go by clean effective punches. The guy busted up is usually the loser... let's have a look at the busted up loser.

Comment

Originally posted by Damn Wicked View Post
      I ask myself which fighter would I have rather been in that round. The fighter that put more hurt on his opponent should win the round. Ring generalship, punches landed, defensive prowess, bruises, swelling and cuts (superficial skin damage), pretty dance moves and fast reflexes to avoid punches don't score points and don't matter when it comes to putting "the hurt on". This is fighting. The guy who hurt the other guy more should win the round. This is what makes judging so difficult when it's a competitive fight.
      Originally posted by club fighter View Post
      No, simply because effective defense and ring generalship also play a factor in scoring each round.
      Originally posted by DARKSEID View Post
      No they don't.

If you have the best defense and ring generalship anyone has ever seen and the other guy did more damage and outlanded you or landed the better shots, you still lost the round.

Defense and ring generalship mean zero if the other guy outlanded you or landed better shots.

What is this dancing with the stars? This is the hurt game, You score damage.
      Three different guys.

Three different opinions on how to score a fight.

You have to have some objective device to measure.

I posted tons of examples on how the guy most thought won, landed the most punches time and again. Number of punches doesn't tell the entire story but it's a much simpler, less complicated measuring stick when it comes to judging a fight. What do you have now? Everyone looks at different criteria.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Trick-Pony View Post
        Three different guys.

I posted tons of examples on how the guy most thought won, landed the most punches time and again. Number of punches doesn't tell the entire story but it's a much simpler, less complicated measuring stick when it comes to judging a fight. What do you have now? Everyone looks at different criteria.
        Me and Damn Wicked basically said the same exact thing lol

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Trick-Pony View Post
          Three different guys.

Yeah, the judging in boxing has always been imperfect, to say the least. I'm not sure what the answer is. At times I've thought they should just keep fighting until someone gets knocked out or gives up but that's not a reasonable solution....It would be a damn entertaining though, haha.

Comment

Originally posted by DARKSEID View Post
            Me and Damn Wicked basically said the same exact thing lol

True enough. I misread his post. But still, lots of people feel the way the other poster does and lots of people look at scoring differently. The question to ask is how do the official judges view these fights and do they all follow the same criteria? You say ring generalship means nothing but clearly a lot of officials don't feel that way. There is no one standard on which to judge these things. Number of punches landed accomplishes that. I'm not saying it's perfect but from the examples I provided, it clearly hits the mark most of the time.

Comment

Clean effective punching.

I really like clean landing punches, more than partially blocked shots. I probably dont score well for swarmers or even body punchers.

I also like power shots. I dont care if the guy has big power himself but that he is landing full power shots. When someone like Oscar throws arm punch flurries near the end of the round to try to sway it and most of them arent even landing, Im not impressed by that chit.

If someone is outlanding the other with jabs but getting hit with clean power shots, I will favor the clean power shots. There could be exceptions with someone like Winky but that is because he had a tight guard and usually the other guy wasnt landing cleanly and he had a tight jab that popped the other guys head back, so he was usually landing cleaner, even if it was mostly a jab.
              Last edited by elfag; 09-18-2018, 03:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Damn Wicked View Post
                Yeah, the judging in boxing has always been imperfect, to say the least. I'm not sure what the answer is. At times I've thought they should just keep fighting until someone gets knocked out or gives up but that's not a reasonable solution....It would be a damn entertaining though, haha.

That it would! Maybe it some of the old days where they went 75 rounds and so forth. Still, a fighter's career can't last too long that way. I can't picture any current fighter going even twenty rounds. It would be flat out brutal. But as you say, I can't say it wouldn't be entertaining.

Comment

Originally posted by el*** View Post
                  Clean effective punching.

I really like clean landing punches, more than partially blocked shots. I probably dont score well for swarmers or even body punchers.

I also like power shots. I dont care if the guy has big power himself but that he is landing full power shots. When someone like Oscar throws arm punch flurries near the end of the round to try to sway it and most of them arent even landing, Im not impressed by that chit.
                  Well flurries of missing punches should never earn a guy more points. Sadly, though, I think they have in the past. They're flashy and the crowd cheers and boom. A guy who accomplished vitrually nothing wins a round he may or may not deserve, depending on what else happened in that round.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                    Points fighting is fking awful to watch. You end up with guys just poking each other with jabs and not talking any chances.

I'm ok with the system we have now, even if it means garbage decisions here and there. The solution isn't to ruin boxing but to get better judges. Unfortunately, that's on the commissions so the argument needs to be taken up with them.
                    This. It would change the way boxers are fighting. It would look much more like an amateur boxing, which is not what we want.

Maybe some combination could be made. Maybe “a 4th judge” could be a compubox. Maybe even much more advanced version of it, where the “quality of puches can be taken into account. Artifical Intelligence should be able to do it soon.

Comment

If landing punches isn't how you are judge d I don't think the 2 fighters in ring have a clue what they're doing anymore.
                      It's all guess work.

Comment

Working...
                      X