Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The resurgence of Miguel Cotto: Is it due to Freddie or Juicing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The resurgence of Miguel Cotto: Is it due to Freddie or Juicing?

Given the latest news about Floyd; it make me think about Cotto.

Is it the Juice or is it due to Freddie Roach that he has gotten "better". Or is it just the right opponent at the right time.

Originally posted by Cupo303 View Post
    Given the latest news about Floyd; it make me think about Cotto.

Is it the Juice or is it due to Freddie Roach that he has gotten "better". Or is it just the right opponent at the right time.
    I think it is a combination of Cotto being with the right trainer for his style of boxing, and the employment of Gavin MacMillan as his strength and conditioning coach. This S&C coach has proven himself with George St. Pierre in his career, and has different methods of S&C training for his fighters. For example, he doesn't believe in excessive roadwork and prefers aquatic excersizes. He also gets his fighters body in condition (depending on the sport) to have peak strength for 3 min rounds with 60 second breaks. This is related to his belief that excessive roadwork is not conducive to a sport with those time/break demands. He gets Cotto peak conditioned to fight 3 mins, take a 60 sec break, and repeat over 12 rounds.

Comment

Part of it is the opponents. If Cotto can bully someone a bit, hurt them early, that's his kind of fight. We've still yet to see how his stamina in under Roach.

But I think Roach has worked to his strengths and so he's looked extra good against guys he probably would've beaten under his past trainers. He's moved up in weight late in age and looked strong and impressive all round. But maybe he could've done that clean or maybe he's juicing for over a decade.

Can see both sides of it but if I had to make a guess he's probably used something.

Comment

Most of these athletes are on some stuff. Whether the stuff is legal or not is another question but no one depends on potatoes and some steak and vege alone. When guys are in their 30s, the legs give in, their reflexes slow. Everyone knows even legal and basic stuff like creatine can rejuvenate you so what more of other heavier stuff? There are too many designer drugs and too many educated people. Imagine how much money Cotto has made ever since he was 32? Is it not worth paying some guys to give him stuff? All these guys like Hopkins cant just be fighting like that at 50 then claim he's on coleslaw and apples? I'm not saying he's on anything illegal but definitely I personally think they are on something.

Comment

We can internally assume, like with most athletes, but there's no evidence to accuse him of any such thing.

So right now we can only give him the benefit of the doubt.

Comment

He has gotten better but its all about the opponents.

Lets be real. Delvin Rodriguez is a D level opponent. Sergio Martinez was way past his prime and on 1 leg literally. He barely beat Martin Murray in Argentina and most thought Murray won.

Then he drained Geale who GGG blew out in three rounds to 157 pounds, a weight he had never fought at.

Lets see how he looks vs a fresh good fighter like Canelos

Comment

It's a myth. He's been fighting pre-chewed opponents.

Comment

He is a cherry picker that's why he chose Canelo it will be easy money!

Comment

I wouldn't doubt it. Mayorga said that Miguel was loaded with bricks when they fought.

Comment

It's due to Freddie unless proven otherwise. As of now there is no evidence at all the Cotto isn't clean. So he is clean to me.

Comment

Working...
                    X