Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I start working out (Lifting weights) at 15?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I start working out (Lifting weights) at 15?

So you might have seen my previous thread (I want to become a professional boxer).

To achieve that goal, I know I have to work out. However should I start working out now or how can I work on my physic. My boxing teacher told me that I should skip rope, do push-ups, sit-ups, etc. He said it would be good to work out.

Originally posted by Lil Frosty View Post
    So you might have seen my previous thread (I want to become a professional boxer).

To achieve that goal, I know I have to work out. However should I start working out now or how can I work on my physic. My boxing teacher told me that I should skip rope, do push-ups, sit-ups, etc. He said it would be good to work out.
    you don't need weights yet. at least get some sort of perfection out of your floor work before getting in to the weights. essentially, learn the basics first and get them down pat.

Comment

Instead of doing sit ups you need t do leg raises, wall sits, and planks. The physique is less important in boxing, its like in prison: you workout your body for performance, the physique comes second. The only muscle group I would use weights on is legs.

My current routine:
      40 push ups
      50 legs raises on a bench
      40 diamond push ups
      50 leg raises
      25-30 clap push ups (these help build a little bit of speed)
      50 leg raises
      repeat

as many sets of 40 body weight squats that I can do. Going to failure helps your muscle grow.

1-2 minutes of rest between sets. Rest for 30 minutes once done with strength training before you go to bag work and etc.

Comment

You don't need weights for boxing, but I was lifting at 15. Granted, I didn't care if I stunted my growth (which is a myth anyways) since I was 6'2 at the time but it's up to you. For a beginner boxer? No. For looking good? Yes.

Lifting, unless you're powerlifting has always been more about aesthetics. You will start lifting soon enough, and it will benefit you for boxing, but light weight a lot of reps>heavy weight low reps for boxing.

Comment

When your 15 dont focus on weightlifting or anything just do push ups and sit ups and leg raises stuff for your core. And do bodyweight squats for now for your legs. when your that age main thing is to just work on your technique.

Comment

Heavyweight fighter Joseph Parker is doing pushups, sit ups, and pull ups in order to increase his punching power. If those exercises work for him then they should work for you too.

Comment

Originally posted by 2ofEverything View Post
              You don't need weights for boxing, but I was lifting at 15. Granted, I didn't care if I stunted my growth (which is a myth anyways) since I was 6'2 at the time but it's up to you. For a beginner boxer? No. For looking good? Yes.

Lifting, unless you're powerlifting has always been more about aesthetics. You will start lifting soon enough, and it will benefit you for boxing, but light weight a lot of reps>heavy weight low reps for boxing.
              Lot of truth to this, for some sports weight lifting is functional, but for boxing, not so much.

Comment

Thank you! Do you have anything to recommend as far as doing workouts before sleeping. If yes, what do y'all do (or used to do)?

Comment

Never hurts to work out age 15 to 19 are golden years to morph a good physique before it matures ,lifting weights after a point wont look as natural ,you can always slow down after 19 because you sculpted it in the adolescent phase ....im working with a kid whos undefeatted as an amatuer at 150 ,he put on almost 20 pounds of muscle from last year from 145 ,and has improved every aspect ,of course he knows what and how to train and hes 17 which goes a long way from 15 ,everyones different ,hes turning pro next year at 155 .I started lifting at 12 though didnt get into just training until my late teens, if anything lifting helped !Its not about you dont need weights "you dont" its about utilizing everything to your advantage ,and theres much more info out there now from decades ago !
                  Last edited by juggernaut666; 07-27-2015, 05:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
                    Never hurts to work out age 15 to 19 are golden years to morph a good physique before it matures ,lifting weights after a point wont look as natural ,you can always slow down after 19 because you sculpted it in the adolescent phase ....im working with a kid whos undefeatted as an amatuer at 150 ,he put on almost 20 pounds of muscle from last year from 145 ,and has improved every aspect ,of course he knows what and how to train and hes 17 which goes a long way from 15 ,everyones different ,hes turning pro next year at 155 .I started lifting at 12 though didnt get into just training until my late teens, if anything lifting helped !Its not about you dont need weights "you dont" its about utilizing everything to your advantage ,and theres much more info out there now from decades ago !
                    Only canelo fights at 155..its his own weight class.

Weightlifting equals less oxygen in tHe body

Comment

Working...
                    X