Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having trouble locking my elbow on long hooks

Its like I cant control my arm anymore lol

It just goes floppy at the elbow

How do I fix this without tensing my whole arm too much?

You need to lock the arm at between 85.76 and 85.79 degrees for optimal power on a long range hook

Comment

I can almost guarantee it is because you aren't landing with your knuckles. Probably landing with the finger part of the fist. just below the knuckles. Emphasize the hook motion of the punch and keep it short. You could also be reaching too far with the hook. When hitting the bag throw the hook as if to take a chunk out of the bag. Don't hit half way across the bag hit towards the edge and follow through.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post
        I can almost guarantee it is because you aren't landing with your knuckles. Probably landing with the finger part of the fist.
        ^This. Also, the ergonomics of a long hook are different than short. Look at the way Canelo bends his body and extends his arm a bit more to get those long hooks to land his knuckles on the target, rather than slapping or windmilling like some do.

Comment

I can almost guarantee it is because you aren't landing with your knuckles. Probably landing with the finger part of the fist. just below the knuckles. Emphasize the hook motion of the punch and keep it short. You could also be reaching too far with the hook. When hitting the bag throw the hook as if to take a chunk out of the bag. Don't hit half way across the bag hit towards the edge and follow through.
          awesome thanks wop, think ive been watching too many black fighters throw them and mistook my arm length for their arm length

Comment

You were dead right nice one thanks bro! Long hooks are evil!

Comment

Working...
            X