Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pacquiao - Hatton fight RECAP...ripped from May 3rd headlines...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QUISQUEYA View Post
    I don't necessarily believe in all those triangular and/or common opponent theories. But people were listing Larios as a top opponent.

Larios got blown out by a bantamweight, and he went the distance with Pac. Pac also went the distance with a shot Barrera.

I love me some Pac. Love the guy. But people are overblowing his resume. Mostly based on Diaz/Delahoya.

If you ask me Casamayor/J.Diaz >> D.Diaz/Delahoya
    the larios fight was done in Pac's backyard and it was a show for the pinoys. fights there are shown slightly delayed on local programming inserted w/ multiple commercials in between rounds each generating millions of pesos per showing. repeat this for 12rounds and imagine how much that generates. and ppl do watch it delayed, ppv is expensive over there.

if you think ppl are basing pac's resume on diaz and delahoya then it's you who need to read up more. pac was already a lineal champ a decade before the oscar fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Pullcounter View Post
      only way hatton wins is if the ref allows hatton to hold and hit.
      I've always wondered what would happen in a Big Time Vegas fight if Hatton resorted to his excessive holding ways (ie last 6 rounds vs Urango which Jim Lampley referred to as a "clinching festival" and of course vs Kostya there was tons of clinching.)

would the ref allow it, or bark down at Hatton to knock it off.

cuz one of my biggest gripes against Ricky Hatton is the fact that I've seen fighters clinch LESS then Ricky, and get deducted for it. Of course Hatton's NEVER lost a point due to clinching.

Comment

Originally posted by jching View Post
        QUISQUEYA asked, what would have happened in those fights if JMM had a better chin. I agreed and said without those knockdowns, JMM would have won.

Yes knockdowns are part of the fight and did happen, but we were talking hypothetically. So if you were capable of doing so, you would have to imagine the fights without the knockdowns. JMM won more rounds and so would have won.

I know that didn't happen. I know they are part of the fight. But it is possible to imagine something.
        so is it fair to imagine that if jmm didnt caught pac flush in round [insert round here], pac should have won that round and basically wouldve won the fight unanimously by a wide margin?

Comment

I love me some Pac. Love the guy. But people are overblowing his resume. Mostly based on Diaz/Delahoya
          Garbage. Only a n00b would do that.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Comment

Originally posted by Bogler View Post
            so is it fair to imagine that if jmm didnt caught pac flush in round [insert round here], pac should have won that round and basically wouldve won the fight unanimously by a wide margin?
            errmm no not exactly. IMO Pac only got a draw and a win because of his ability to knockdown JMM. All I'm saying is, take away that ability and JMM wins.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogler View Post
              the larios fight was done in Pac's backyard and it was a show for the pinoys. fights there are shown slightly delayed on local programming inserted w/ multiple commercials in between rounds each generating millions of pesos per showing. repeat this for 12rounds and imagine how much that generates. and ppl do watch it delayed, ppv is expensive over there.

if you think ppl are basing pac's resume on diaz and delahoya then it's you who need to read up more. pac was already a lineal champ a decade before the oscar fight.
              Bogler,

1) What does the commercial success of the fight have to do with the performance? unless you are saying that Pac 'carried" him because of the endorsers.

2) You should know that I know Pac was a lineal champion. But, YES, people have taken him to another level based on his work at 135/147.

Comment

I have seen all the predictions by Pacquiao’s camp (“Hatton gets stopped in FOUR”) and on this board (“Hatton has almost no chance”). Those picks have really forced me to re-evaluate my analysis of this fight and wonder why I see it so differently.

Before I give my prediction, let me say that there are several factors that are being underplayed:
                1) Pacquiao has beaten ONE top opponent over the past six years. And he has lost most of the rounds to that guy.
                2) Hatton was being severely underserved by Graham. Have you ever seen Graham on the pads?

Let it also be known that Pacquiao is one of my very favourite fighters, and Ricky Hatton annoys the crap out of me. I think Hatton is fake, and a tool. So, in the spirit of the greatest poster P4P that NSB has ever known (God bless the dead), here is my prediction for the fight:

Round 1

Ricky is very concerned about establishing his advantages and dictating the fight right from the outset. Pacquiao is supremely confident and will wait for RH to engage, knowing that he will have counter-punching opportunities. As usual, Ricky is tough to time and throws Pac off balance. They stumble into the ropes as Ricky lurches forward. (Both Collazo and PBF were off-balance early vs RH). Pac wasn’t able to land anything meaningful, and Ricky is in his chest and busy as Kenny Bayless separates them. In the center of the ring, Pacquiao lands a couple of left hands that do not hurt Hatton. Ricky was able to land 2 or 3 body shots and several jabs that seemed to surprise Pacquiao.
                Hatton takes the first round on activity.

Rounds 2/3

Ricky is able to press the action as Pacquiao tries to figure out the speed and timing. Pacquiao is having trouble landing the left hand, as Hatton takes a step to his left and moves in quickly with the right hand up top, followed by the left hooks to the body. The blueprint for the fight is being set as the first quarter of this bout has been fought largely inside so far. Bayless is very busy separating the fighters. Their feet have tangled. Hatton has been warned, and a bruise is forming on Pac’s face, but that is from Hatton’s head. When they are in close, Hatton is throwing more uppercuts than usual. Pac seems bothered by the rough play. Pac is realizing that this is a strong guy with bruising tactics inside. Round 3 ends with Pac landing several left hands.
                Two rounds to 1, Hatton.

Between rounds, Roach tells Manny use his jab more, and to sometimes double jab. Floyd, Sr tells Hatton that he likes what he is doing. But finish off the exchanges with a right hand upstairs. “Set the traps for that right inside”.

Rounds 4/5/6

Hatton’s face is pink now, but he is undeterred. Manny hasn’t been able to land the body shots which will create openings for his work upstairs. While still not Winky-esque, Hatton is doing a bit better at not lunging. The biggest Mayweather correction seems to be that Ricky no longer drops the right hand when throwing the left hook. They concentrated on keeping the right glove up.

Pacquiao lands his a hard left that slows Ricky down. He comes forward to follow up and Hatton holds on. Ricky is again warned by Bayless. The fight has gotten a bit ugly, and this isn’t the sizzler the fans wanted to see. Pacquiao is often forced to fight with his back to the ropes. That blunts his power, and neutralizes his hand and footspeed advantage. When the fight is in the center of the ring, MP has the clear advantage, but those moments are too infrequent.

At the midway point, it’s 4-2 Hatton, in an affair that has become progressively slower.

Rounds 7/8/9

The die has been set. Manny has his moments, but the pace and style of the fight favors Hatton, and Pacquiao has likely fallen behind on the scorecards. Manny looks fatigued. Both fighters are cut and Hatton has an ugly bruise/cut on his right cheek. But it’s below his eye, and not affecting his vision. Manny’s best punch is actually the jab, but he just landed a straight left that shook Ricky. Floyd tells Ricky to keep his head moving. A tiring Ricky has been getting wider and wider, but Pac’s punches don’t seem to really hurt him.

Going into the championship rounds, it’s 6-3 Hatton. Bayless has considered taking a point from Hatton for holding Pac’s arm, and for hitting on the back of the head, but resisted.

An energized (initially) Pac comes out for 10/11 but is quickly overwhelmed by Hatton’s strength. It is clear that Pac’s dynamic punch power isn’t there when he’s forced to move back. Hatton is wearing down a frustrated Pac. Manny, without the tricks inside, and having taken some body shots early, looks done.

Going into the final round, Manny has only won 3 or 4 rounds. Roach isn’t sure if he should send MP out, but it’s more bruising punishment than clear headshots. Manny is game and knows he needs a KO. Floyd tells Hatton to box smart. Hatton reverts to jab-n-grab and the seconds tick away. The Brits in the crowd go crazy (er, crazier) as the clapper sounds. The fighters end the bout trading punches at center ring. Ding.

It was far from a classic, but Hatton takes it 116-112 or 115-113 in a clear decision.

lmao yeah right, can't say i agree.

I see hatton coming in and pushing manny to the ropes, manny spins him at hits him 3 or 4 times and bruises him up. By round 5 Hatton is so battered he quits or gets knocked out.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post

I see hatton coming in and pushing manny to the ropes, manny spins him at hits him 3 or 4 times and bruises him up. By round 5 Hatton is so battered he quits or gets knocked out.
                  That's what this board is for...right? Intelligent (hopefully) discussiona and disagreement about boxing.

Can you please offer me an example of when Manny has "spun" a fighter off the ropes?

Are you talking about the Oscar fight?

Comment

I have seen all the predictions by Pacquiao’s camp (“Hatton gets stopped in FOUR”) and on this board (“Hatton has almost no chance”). Those picks have really forced me to re-evaluate my analysis of this fight and wonder why I see it so differently.

Before I give my prediction, let me say that there are several factors that are being underplayed:
                    1) Pacquiao has beaten ONE top opponent over the past six years. And he has lost most of the rounds to that guy.
                    2) Hatton was being severely underserved by Graham. Have you ever seen Graham on the pads?

Let it also be known that Pacquiao is one of my very favourite fighters, and Ricky Hatton annoys the crap out of me. I think Hatton is fake, and a tool. So, in the spirit of the greatest poster P4P that NSB has ever known (God bless the dead), here is my prediction for the fight:

Round 1

Ricky is very concerned about establishing his advantages and dictating the fight right from the outset. Pacquiao is supremely confident and will wait for RH to engage, knowing that he will have counter-punching opportunities. As usual, Ricky is tough to time and throws Pac off balance. They stumble into the ropes as Ricky lurches forward. (Both Collazo and PBF were off-balance early vs RH). Pac wasn’t able to land anything meaningful, and Ricky is in his chest and busy as Kenny Bayless separates them. In the center of the ring, Pacquiao lands a couple of left hands that do not hurt Hatton. Ricky was able to land 2 or 3 body shots and several jabs that seemed to surprise Pacquiao.
                    Hatton takes the first round on activity.

Rounds 2/3

Ricky is able to press the action as Pacquiao tries to figure out the speed and timing. Pacquiao is having trouble landing the left hand, as Hatton takes a step to his left and moves in quickly with the right hand up top, followed by the left hooks to the body. The blueprint for the fight is being set as the first quarter of this bout has been fought largely inside so far. Bayless is very busy separating the fighters. Their feet have tangled. Hatton has been warned, and a bruise is forming on Pac’s face, but that is from Hatton’s head. When they are in close, Hatton is throwing more uppercuts than usual. Pac seems bothered by the rough play. Pac is realizing that this is a strong guy with bruising tactics inside. Round 3 ends with Pac landing several left hands.
                    Two rounds to 1, Hatton.

Between rounds, Roach tells Manny use his jab more, and to sometimes double jab. Floyd, Sr tells Hatton that he likes what he is doing. But finish off the exchanges with a right hand upstairs. “Set the traps for that right inside”.

Rounds 4/5/6

Hatton’s face is pink now, but he is undeterred. Manny hasn’t been able to land the body shots which will create openings for his work upstairs. While still not Winky-esque, Hatton is doing a bit better at not lunging. The biggest Mayweather correction seems to be that Ricky no longer drops the right hand when throwing the left hook. They concentrated on keeping the right glove up.

Pacquiao lands his a hard left that slows Ricky down. He comes forward to follow up and Hatton holds on. Ricky is again warned by Bayless. The fight has gotten a bit ugly, and this isn’t the sizzler the fans wanted to see. Pacquiao is often forced to fight with his back to the ropes. That blunts his power, and neutralizes his hand and footspeed advantage. When the fight is in the center of the ring, MP has the clear advantage, but those moments are too infrequent.

At the midway point, it’s 4-2 Hatton, in an affair that has become progressively slower.

Rounds 7/8/9

The die has been set. Manny has his moments, but the pace and style of the fight favors Hatton, and Pacquiao has likely fallen behind on the scorecards. Manny looks fatigued. Both fighters are cut and Hatton has an ugly bruise/cut on his right cheek. But it’s below his eye, and not affecting his vision. Manny’s best punch is actually the jab, but he just landed a straight left that shook Ricky. Floyd tells Ricky to keep his head moving. A tiring Ricky has been getting wider and wider, but Pac’s punches don’t seem to really hurt him.

Going into the championship rounds, it’s 6-3 Hatton. Bayless has considered taking a point from Hatton for holding Pac’s arm, and for hitting on the back of the head, but resisted.

An energized (initially) Pac comes out for 10/11 but is quickly overwhelmed by Hatton’s strength. It is clear that Pac’s dynamic punch power isn’t there when he’s forced to move back. Hatton is wearing down a frustrated Pac. Manny, without the tricks inside, and having taken some body shots early, looks done.

Going into the final round, Manny has only won 3 or 4 rounds. Roach isn’t sure if he should send MP out, but it’s more bruising punishment than clear headshots. Manny is game and knows he needs a KO. Floyd tells Hatton to box smart. Hatton reverts to jab-n-grab and the seconds tick away. The Brits in the crowd go crazy (er, crazier) as the clapper sounds. The fighters end the bout trading punches at center ring. Ding.

It was far from a classic, but Hatton takes it 116-112 or 115-113 in a clear decision.
                    I'll make it short:

Rd 1; Hatton tried to attack & Keep missing. Pac attacks Justtoy with Hatton. Pac 10-9

Rd 2: Hatton a little bit hesitant & tried Bob & Weave but Pac still timed him with Lead left, Jab & right Uppercut. hatton suppers cut in the left eye. Pac 10-9

Rd 3: Hatton resort to holding but Pac's too smart in the clinch, Hatton can't do nothing. Ref warns Hatton. Hatton back to bob & weave then try his left hook to the body, BOOm Pac hits hatton with the lead left. hatton drop face 1st in the Floor. Bell sound & hatton survives. Pac 10-8

Rd 4: Roach told Pac, "He's done... He's done!!! You shoul've finished him in 3." Pac answered,"Don't worry coach, I bet in rd 5, I'll give your money back!"
                    Pac just toys with hatton in rd 4. Pac 10-9.

Rd 5: Pac start early, cornered hatton then unload with the Patented Pac-Attack. hatton down but get up showing heart. Pac attcks again until Hatton got hit with Straight Left, BOOM!!! it's over!!! Ref stopped the fight without a count with hatton flat on his face. Pac TKO rd 5!

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post

@ Samurai,

THIS is an example of why I say that people are overblowing Manny based on Diaz/DLH.

If I asked you A YEAR AGO, after Manny had gone the distance with Larios, a shot MAB, and JMM "can Manny knock Hatton out in five rounds?", I doubt many people would say "yeah".

A year ago, would fans have put Manny as a prohibitive favourite over Hatton? If no, what changed?

I may have to come on this board on may 3rd and admit I was wrong. But for now? I have a Hatton decision in a long, tough fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X