Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GGG fans, let's be honest, what was GGG's Worst Career Choice?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Citizen Koba View Post
    Signing with Universum out of the gate back in 2006, no question. I imagine it made sense at the time though, as did every other decision he made. Hindsight's always 20/20.
    If I had to pick something, it would be this...but his career has turned out about as good as it possibly could, aside from having a bit better of a resume or a big career defining win. It all depends how you want to judge it I guess. Look at a guy like ward for example...retired undefeated, some call him an atg, made good money and had that big career defining win among other great accomplishments. Ggg’s eclipsed him in earnings and popularity, and at the end of the day, it’s prize fighting. Ggg has hands down had one of the most successful careers in recent times.

Comment

Originally posted by icha View Post
      cmon bro!! fighting ggg with very little to no experience at the weight was giving too much of an advantage, neither guy was willing to budge in weight and thats the real reason we couldnt get this fight earlier...

both ggg and canelo had no problem conceding weight vs lesser fighters(rosado or chavez) but to give that advntage vs an elite opponent was too much of a risk for both fighters...
      is understandable in my opinion, altough it goes against the whole propaganda of änyone from 154 to 168"...
      The diva claimed to be MW champ, said he "feared nobody", "let's put the glove on right here", then he gives up the title without a fight. Diva fans want to forget it but boxing fans no it was a bs move.
      If the diva didn't want to fight at 160, than don't claim to be tha 160 pound champ.

Comment

Originally posted by aboutfkntime View Post
        my sister does not date little fukwit casual-fans
        The thread question was what was GGG's worst career choice

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing_1013 View Post
          The thread question was what was GGG's worst career choice

so, not... my sister's worst career choice ?

Comment

so, not... my sister's worst career choice ?
            lol...nice one

Comment

Originally posted by Real King Kong View Post
              If I had to pick something, it would be this...but his career has turned out about as good as it possibly could, aside from having a bit better of a resume or a big career defining win. It all depends how you want to judge it I guess. Look at a guy like ward for example...retired undefeated, some call him an atg, made good money and had that big career defining win among other great accomplishments. Ggg’s eclipsed him in earnings and popularity, and at the end of the day, it’s prize fighting. Ggg has hands down had one of the most successful careers in recent times.

Mayweather haters... will hastily point out that money has nothing to do with legacy

most of us are commenting as boxing fans... not as business advisers

but even regarding money... if Golovkin's goal was to become a superstar, he failed

despite having a fan-friendly style, he never captured the publics imagination... and that is solely down to timid opponent selection

Canelo started gaining public attention when he demanded Lara against the wishes of his promoter

Golovkin needed to be about that life

Comment

Originally posted by Young Bidness View Post
                History books don’t flaunt what a fighter should’ve done because of money. Canelo and Team knew there’d be a big probability of a good PPV with Floyd, particularly because of TMT and the GBP rivalry. Still, Canelo bent B-side to Floyd and didn’t make what GGG made with Canelo 1. Canelo took risks with stipulations. He learned the hard way.

GGG, the diva, whom never pulled draws or PPV like Floyd or Canelo, always wanted everything on a silver platter... he never listed at 168 to face Ward when it was a narrative since 2011.

Crawford is at 147. Whatever the reason, he is there now campaigning. GGG could’ve done the same at 168, not having faced Ward, same way TC vs Spence has been postponed forever even before the crash.

GGG has never been a true risk taker.

Well of course... He claimed legacy but his actions said money.

I wouldnt have no problem with him staying at 160 looking only for money fights if he was honest about it.

But he swayed public opinion vs Ward when this fool wanted no parts of him, and history shows one of the two never took risks.

He made this big deal then turned his back on it, making his fans have to switch goalposts with him

Comment

Mayweather haters... will hastily point out that money has nothing to do with legacy

but even regarding money... if Golovkin's goal was to become a superstar, he failed

despite having a fan-friendly style, he never captured the publics imagination... and that is solely down to timid opponent selection

Canelo started gaining public attention when he demanded Lara against the wishes of his promoter

It's much easier to 'demand/take' fights when you set the rules/fight at the weight you want, and know that if you go 12 you are very very likely to win...that's fair, no?

Comment

In the post may-pac era, ggg was about as financially successful as he could be. Name all the fighters outside of canelo who have been more successful on that front...there aren’t many.

Lol@ canelo fighting the unknown Lara being what catapulted him into the public spotlight.

Comment

Originally posted by Real King Kong View Post
                      Given that he lost 3 years of his prime and he was literally offering to fight for nothing (vs Barker) at an age where some other champions were already were making $ millions, yeah, I figure he did OK...

Comment

Working...
                      X