No announcement yet.

Watching 90s heavyweight boxing and that era's overrated due to nostalgia

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watching 90s heavyweight boxing and that era's overrated due to nostalgia

I just finished watching Tua vs Ibeabuchi and Lennox vs Tua.

Tua vs Ibeabuchi
    Both Tua and Ibeabuchi were juiced out of their minds and both weren't even that skilled. Zero defense and terrible footwork. They also barely threw jabs in that fight. Both just squared up and traded punches from start to finish. So I'm not shocked Ibeabuchi ended up with CTE shortly after that fight. The fight's entertaining due to how action packed it was. But as someone who watches boxing for technical stuffs - it might be the worst fight I've seen. The only guy I see fight like that these days is Ilunga Makabu and he's not even elite in his division and that's where I'll rank both amongst the current heavyweights. You can't be fighting like that.

Lennox vs Tua
    People accuse AJ of running in the Ruiz rematch but Lennox did more running against Tua than AJ did against Ruiz in Saudi. And Lennox didn't shut Tua out like AJ did against Ruiz (Tua won about 4 rds). AJ at least engaged a few times - Lennox didn't engage at all. He kept it long with pot shots and got caught a lot of times in the early rounds. But funny how people give Lennox credit but would never give Josh props for a masterclass.

Nostalgia is a biitch...once you take Lennox and Holyfield out of the 90s, that era had no other great boxers. This era is looking more stacked IMO.
    Last edited by BangEM; 03-26-2020, 08:28 PM.

That’s really every era you go to just like this one will surpass the 90”s and whatever current one will be bums by the fans . This has happened in the 1990s to , most posters weren’t around they were treated harshly they just do the same thing today . AJ is a better fighter then Lewis who needed Manny Steward as did Klitschko history is funny this way , they dump on a higher caliber fighter because he’s not bigged up by history , Fury as well up until his Wilder win everyone was saying the guy couldn’t punch is just one example .
    Last edited by REDEEMER; 03-26-2020, 09:29 PM.

Comment

The 90s is overrated, there's plenty of fighters today who would do very well in that era

Comment

Originally posted by REDEEMER View Post
        That’s really every era you go to just like this one will surpass the 90”s and whatever current one will be bums by the fans . This has happened in the 1990s to , most posters weren’t around they were treated harshly they just do the same thing today . AJ is a better fighter then Lewis who needed Manny Steward as did Klitschko history is funny this way , they dump on a higher caliber fighter because he’s not bigged up by history , Fury as well up until his Wilder win everyone was saying the guy couldn’t punch is just one example .
        That era wasn't special. Tua and Ibeabuchi who're talked about like killers remind me of Mukabu at cruiserweight. Nothing Special.

Due to nostalgia, people talk about these guys, even Ruddock, Moorer, Tubbs et al like they were some super-skilled killers. But when you watch the videos - those guys weren't even as good as the contenders we have today. If a guy like Bruno could win a title in that era, a lot of contenders in today's era would've done the same.

Comment

Originally posted by BangEM View Post
          I just finished watching Tua vs Ibeabuchi and Lennox vs Tua.

Tua vs Ibeabuchi
          Both Tua and Ibeabuchi were juiced out of their minds and both weren't even that skilled. Zero defense and terrible footwork. They also barely threw jabs in that fight. Both just squared up and traded punches from start to finish. So I'm not shocked Ibeabuchi ended up with CTE shortly after that fight. The fight's entertaining due to how action packed it was. But as someone who watches boxing for technical stuffs - it might be the worst fight I've seen. The only guy I see fight like that these days is Ilunga Makabu and he's not even elite in his division and that's where I'll rank both amongst the current heavyweights. You can't be fighting like that.

Lennox vs Tua
          People accuse AJ of running in the Ruiz rematch but Lennox did more running against Tua than AJ did against Ruiz in Saudi. And Lennox didn't shut Tua out like AJ did against Ruiz (Tua won about 4 rds). AJ at least engaged a few times - Lennox didn't engage at all. He kept it long with pot shots and got caught a lot of times in the early rounds. But funny how people give Lennox credit but would never give Josh props for a masterclass.

Nostalgia is a biitch...once you take Lennox and Holyfield out of the 90s, that era had no other great boxers. This era is looking more stacked IMO.
          Same way pac and floyd would do well in any eras lol

I have no problem Aj fightinG like that.. but maybe lennox didn’t promise a KO win or a war like AJ did.

Comment

Originally posted by dibzvincent143 View Post
            Same way pac and floyd would do well in any eras lol

I have no problem Aj fightinG like that.. but maybe lennox didn’t promise a KO win or a war like AJ did.
            And when did AJ promise a KO or war? He just said I'll beat Ruiz in the rematch and he did.

A lot of you tend to take Hearn's words as AJ's words. Hearn has a knack for running his mouth like he's the one doing the fighting when he has no clue.

Comment

Originally posted by BangEM View Post
              And when did AJ promise a KO or war? He just said I'll beat Ruiz in the rematch and he did.

A lot of you tend to take Hearn's words as AJ's words. Hearn has a knack for running his mouth like he's the one doing the fighting when he has no clue.
              https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxin...y-21018568.amp

Nah i read it all alright. I’m not a joshua hater in any case as well. Nor would i mistake him for hearn.

The only guys I truly hate here is Khan. Others are all subjective.

Comment

It's funny, the 90's era was written off by those who lived the 70's and 80's but it's almost a golden age compared to today.

I believe Joshua and Fury would have been competitive but not dominant while Wilder would have been found out far earlier.
                His title reign reflects poorly on the standards of today.

The key thing is apart from Lewis vs Bowe & Tyson, the fights that needed to happen actually happened more or less on time.

Comment

Originally posted by dibzvincent143 View Post
                  https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxin...y-21018568.amp

Nah i read it all alright. I’m not a joshua hater in any case as well. Nor would i mistake him for hearn.

The only guys I truly hate here is Khan. Others are all subjective.
                  Excerpts from what he said:

“I think we make for good fights. There’s definitely a knock out in this fight, that’s what the people want to see - blood shed and knockouts."

“I feel it in my heart, I’m confident and I believe in myself that I will be victorious. You’re going to see fireworks.”

------------------------------------

I'm sure there were lead up questions asking about knock outs, including what the fans want. But he never firmly said he'll KO Andy - he just said he'll be victorious.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobra Curry View Post
                    It's funny, the 90's era was written off by those who lived the 70's and 80's but it's almost a golden age compared to today.

I believe Joshua and Fury would have been competitive but not dominant while Wilder would have been found out far earlier.
                    His title reign reflects poorly on the standards of today.

The key thing is apart from Lewis vs Bowe & Tyson, the fights that needed to happen actually happened more or less on time.
                    But Lennox and Bowe never fought and Lennox vs Tyson didn't happen when people wanted it to happen. Also, Tyson never fought Bowe.

A guy like Bowe went through that era without fighting any top HW apart from Holyfield. Heck, he didn't even fight any top contender and he's basically the same as Wilder.

However, people act like everyone fought everyone at the right time in the 90s when the 90s also mirror this era. That era was overrated.

Comment

Working...
                    X