No announcement yet.

Let's talk about Round 10

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NearHypnos View Post
    Check my first post. It has the video. Different angle and they clearly land. The round starts at around the 32 minute mark. Those jabs are around..34:18 and 34:20 ish. The second one lands right at the end of the jab and it's not just floating there, it's on Ward and the first one is slightly better. Were they hard or hurtful type punches? No. But they count especially when you look at the context where Kovalev outlands him 5-1 in those 10-15 seconds or so with Kovalev's right hand being the best punch out of those
    The 1st makes contact but Ward took the power off it moving backwards, the 2nd made some contact but hit a lot of chest as well and you can see Kov's arm is fully extended, again Ward takes most the power off it. Even Kov's right hand just before that doesn't look very clean, it clips then skims across Ward's face and their arms get tangled, I mean if you're gonna score that you gotta score Ward's left which clips the top/back of Kov's head. That hard body shot from Ward more than makes up for those pitty pat jabs he got hit with earlier and his left cancels out Kov's right.

Kov's left hook toward the end also hit Ward's neck, it was easier to see on the original upload as they had the angle.

Kov didn't land enough clean, effective enough shots imo, his jab when Ward was showboating, now that's a quality jab, Ward wasn't able to take any of the power off those, that's what Kov was missing. A few more of those, I'd have given him the round.

Comment

Originally posted by Cutthroat View Post
      The 1st makes contact but Ward took the power off it moving backwards, the 2nd made some contact but hit a lot of chest as well and you can see Kov's arm is fully extended, again Ward takes most the power off it. Even Kov's right hand just before that doesn't look very clean, it clips then skims across Ward's face and their arms get tangled, I mean if you're gonna score that you gotta score Ward's left which clips the top/back of Kov's head. That hard body shot from Ward more than makes up for those pitty pat jabs he got hit with earlier and his left cancels out Kov's right.

Kov's left hook toward the end also hit Ward's neck, it was easier to see on the original upload as they had the angle.

Kov didn't land enough clean, effective enough shots imo, his jab when Ward was showboating, now that's a quality jab, Ward wasn't able to take any of the power off those, that's what Kov was missing. A few more of those, I'd have given him the round.
      Ward landed less clean jabs than Kovalev... I honestly think you're trolling me right now. In the first half of that round Kovalev landed more than a few stiff jabs that popped Ward's neck back. Ward only landed a few punches all round, dude. Just because he "took" the power off SOME of the punches doesn't mean he wins the round. He was out landed and out damaged that round in what's a pretty obvious round to score. It's not that Kovalev was a domineering force of nature that round but Ward was retreating while taking all the ounches and not doing any of the punching back.

The best individual jab in the round belonged to Kovalev. The best power punch to the head also belonged to Kovalev. The amount of punches (jabs and power) landed also favored Kovalev. Agression (effective as he was landing) also favored Kovalev. Defense also favored Kovalev. He slipped a lot of what people thought landed. It's baffling that you'd give that round to Ward. Nobody would look at you differently if you just manned up and said "Oh, s hit Kov did more than I thought and Ward less. Kov round". I hope you're not trolling man.

The few people who are adamant and can't give Kovalev the 10th round is because they know Kovalev won that fight and the judges were beyond wrong at the very LEAST in that round. If they give Kov that round it throws off their "justified" "Ward won a close fight" claim.

People are making the mistake in thinking competitive = close but that isn't true. The 10th was competetive but not close. Ward didn't land some insane fight changing punch in the round or out defensively manneuvered Kov so badly that you have to give it to him. He flat out lost that round and there's nothing wrong with it. What's wrong is that no judge bothered scoring such a competetive yet clear round the right way.
      Last edited by NearHypnos; 11-22-2016, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Exchanged Jabs

Ward jab to the body

The infamous "check hook". I'm still counting it for Ward but..yeah. I honestly thought it was a better punch but the truth is in there.

This is RIGHT before they try to exchange right hands...I'm not entire sure if Ward had landed this in the other video with the regular broadcast angle but I sure as hell will count it.
        I hope you did, because that was the best ****ing shot of the round.

Gtfoh

Comment

Originally posted by KingHippo View Post
          I hope you did, because that was the best ****ing shot of the round.

Gtfoh
          That was the best punch of the round? You're obviously joking. Okay..now I know you're not serious. That was a weak set up jab for the right hand he missed and Im not even sure it landed. He just put it up for distance..nothing behind it. Try again.

Edit: since I'm feeling generous...I used cut's video to show you. It actually did not land...but it does lead to the best punch of the round so you were on the right track.

Kovalev slipped the jab (and the right hand follow up)and there it is..hitting him in the shoulder while he lands a huge right hand. You're welcome
          Last edited by NearHypnos; 11-22-2016, 03:10 PM.

Comment

The video is too long to go back to tell you each exchange but I can already see that your problem is you don't watch both fighters work and the crowd got to you. I had time to do a minute (rewinding back and forth on an hour long video is a pain in the ass to get time stamps). That huge check hook? You missed Kovalev landing his big right hand to the body there and his follow up jab in that exchange. Kov wins that exchange despite of what the crowd says.. Kov also landed a neck snapping jab seconds before that... The "exchange" of right hands? Ward's didn't land... it got Kov on the shoulder and kov eases up on his balance from Ward's follow up left which also lands like on the arm/shoulder. Kov lands two jabs at around the 45 second mark (which you don't seem to mention..like you didnt mention most of his work). At the 20 second mark? Again, all crowd...Ward's didn't land (again) and his neck snaps back. Nothing under 20 seconds? He lands a short left hook to the side of the head at around the 13 mark..followed by a jab around the 10 second warning (he missed the follow up right hand even though in real time it seems he landed it but that jab counts). He also lands a right to the body right before the bell ends.

I don't mean any offense but your eyes arent good or trained enough to make these threads. That was a Kovalev round to me. If you want people to take these things serious you have to be objective with BOTH of their work. Ward landed a few nice shots particularly a nice body shot but if your eyes are quick enough and your watching both fighters that is a Kovalev round.
            I'm at work so I'll let you know this until I get home.

None of the punches you're talking about were enough to win Kovalev the round. Half the punches you're talking about grazed Ward. Whoopty doo

Ward clearly landed the more telling head snapping punches

Comment

That was the best punch of the round? You're obviously joking. Okay..now I know you're not serious. That was a weak set up jab for the right hand he missed and Im not even sure it landed. He just put it up for distance..nothing behind it. Try again.

Edit: since I'm feeling generous...I used cut's video to show you. It actually did not land...but it does lead to the best punch of the round so you were on the right track.

Kovalev slipped the jab (and the right hand follow up)and there it is..hitting him in the shoulder while he lands a huge right hand. You're welcome
              Show me where Kovalev actually landed. The angle you're showing is just that.... An angle

Show me where the glove meets the face. Ill wait.

You're welcome

Comment

Originally posted by Chollo Vista View Post
                I'm at work so I'll let you know this until I get home.

None of the punches you're talking about were enough to win Kovalev the round. Half the punches you're talking about grazed Ward. Whoopty doo

Ward clearly landed the more telling head snapping punches
                :/... I have pics of every punch..only 1 was close to grazing I believe and it's the second jab Cut and I were discussing.

How are you going to compete and argue with literal facts? I don't know what you're going to come up with but I'm sure it'll be funny. I conveniently also just posted the best punch of the round..go back a page or two. You see it bounce off his face (the pic youre looking at is literally it in his face..) but my other posts have the other video with the other angle..and another screenshot. You're fighting a battle that has already been lost... pick another round to make your stand. You can't just tell people "Well whatever I dont care how many punches he landed Ward still won the round." Which is what you basically said. Just step away from my thread and walk away with your dignity intact. And yes. This thread is mine now.
                Last edited by NearHypnos; 11-22-2016, 03:25 PM.

Comment

I was actually talking about the check hook, which WAS the best punch of the round. And Kovalev's right hook DID NOT land.

Ward did the cleaner work. And I'm not going to spend my time on gifs, I already have timestamps in my original post. You are free to refute anything said here:

Here's my breakdown of the 10th round.

Kovalev hits Ward with a couple stiff jabs to start the round with a left hook Ward rolls off his shoulder at the 2:32 mark. Ward then hits him with a nice jab at 2:22 followed by a solid left hook and a right hook around the 2:10 mark. Kovalev answers with a nice uppercut of his own.

Both were trading shots in the second minute, but Ward got the most significant hit with a beautiful counter left hook at the 1:08 mark. I will also note that Ward parried Kovalev's right hook to the body with the left hand before he threw the counter left hook, which is really magnificent stuff.

Last minute starts with Kovalev hitting Ward with a solid right hook to the body on the inside. But then, Ward hits Kovalev with a left hook, slips Kovalev's overhand right, then block's Kovalev left hook with his right to counter with a beautiful left hook of his own. Kovalev throws a few unconvincing punches that miss, then Ward hits him with a hard, clean right hook to the body at the 0:32 mark. Kovalev hits then him with a solid stiff jab. Then Ward ****s it up with a bolo punch that Kovalev answers with another stiff jab. Kovalev then hits him with a left hook downstairs that Ward automatically answers with a right hook to the body. Kovalev finishes the round by throwing a hard right hook that misses Ward by inches.

To recapitulate, Ward hit Kovalev with the best shots of the round and Kovalev didn't hit Ward with anything convincing, besides the stiff jab at the 0:20 mark. He did win the war of jabs, but that wasn't enough to sway the round in his direction in my opinion.

Comment

i was way too drunk to score live [and you genuinely can't score a close round to any degree of certainty from anywhere but ringside,] but i thought it was a kovalev round at the time. after watching the replay i still think it's a kovalev round, and it's one of the rounds that people around going to point to when they say that they think ward got some home cooking.

i will say this, the fight isnot a highway robbery the way some are making it out. it is not. kovalev got tired late and ward made some adjustments to get close and stay close. he's a very professional fighter, and he knows how to keep his hands free and generate solid power to the body from the inside. kovalev will undoubtedly be working on that in camp. he's got a great trainer, and he's a great fighter himself.

Comment

I was actually talking about the check hook, which WAS the best punch of the round. And Kovalev's right hook DID NOT land.

Ward did the cleaner work. And I'm not going to spend my time on gifs, I already have timestamps in my original post. You are free to refute anything said here:

Kovalev's right hook landed. Not sure how that's up to debate. It's in every video and it clearly bounces off WRd's face..there's even two pics now I've posted of that punch. Deny it all you want. Kovalev's right hook or right uppercut was arguably the best punch in the round. Ward's best clean punch was a right hook to the body. They both had a couple good shots landed but Kovalev had good work throughout the entire round. Ward did not. Ward's check hook isn't even a clean punch fyi and you can tell me about time stamps all you want but I took it a step further and provided everyone with the point of contact of every punch. With the exception of maybe a couple, they all have full on glove in face.

The check hook. I'm not even sure that's considered a scoring punch seeing as it might not even *be* a punch.

Edit:

By the by, they're all thumbnails so click em to see the pic and then zoom all you want.
                      Last edited by NearHypnos; 11-22-2016, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X