No announcement yet.

Groves Vs Jack - August 22nd

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Groves Vs Jack - August 22nd

George Groves set for Las Vegas showdown with Badou Jack for the WBC title in August

George Groves finally gets his WBC world title shot, but must travel to Las Vegas

George Groves will fight Badou Jack for the Gambian-born Swede's WBC world super-middleweight title on August 22 in Las Vegas.

WBC President Mauricio Sulaiman tweeted the news today, although a venue was not announced.

Jack defeated Anthony Dirrell for the title in April, and the WBC recently reported he and Groves, his mandatory challenger, had agreed terms.

It will be Groves' third crack at world honours after back to back defeats to Carl Froch last year.

Sulaiman's tweet confirmed the date and setting, with more details to come.

Mauricio Sulaiman - @wbcmoro
    August 22 in Las Vegas @WBCBoxing title @BadouJack Vs @StGeorgeGroves #GreenBelt #champion
    Last edited by Chrismart; 06-17-2015, 08:42 AM.

Sweden v England in Las Vegas...another empty arena, makes a lot of sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
      Sweden v England in Las Vegas...another empty arena, makes a lot of sense.
      Jack might as well be American lol plus it'll be Pbc most likely so there's that. Does e have a following that will travel

Comment

Originally posted by HanzGruber View Post
        Jack might as well be American lol plus it'll be Pbc most likely so there's that. Does e have a following that will travel
        I don't think Groves will have much travelling support. I'm not even sure Froch would bring that many fans never mind Groves.

Jack the Ripper moved to the US in 2011 after representing Sweden in the Bejing Olympics.

Comment

Should've just put it on Floyd's undercard, especially if he's fighting Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Greed. View Post
            Exactly.

Maybe they just want to do more Mayweather promotions cards

Comment

Originally posted by Greed. View Post
              Would have made a lot more sense.

Did this fight go to purse bids?

I wonder which Las Vegas arena this will do more than 3k audience in.

Comment

Good fight, I think Groves has the tools to win this thing. Jack doesn't have that fight changing power like Froch.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
                  I don't think Groves will have much travelling support. I'm not even sure Froch would bring that many fans never mind Groves.

Jack the Ripper moved to the US in 2011 after representing Sweden in the Bejing Olympics.
                  Is badou known in sweden? It probably would have made money in UK but badou probably didn't want to travel

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
                    Would have made a lot more sense.

Did this fight go to purse bids?

I wonder which Las Vegas arena this will do more than 3k audience in.

Na, I'm pretty sure they reached an agreement so the purse bid was cancelled.
                    Sauerland said that this date isn't 100% and told fans not to book hotels/flights yet, so I guess there is still a chance of it being on the undercard.

Comment

Working...
                    X