Collapse
No announcement yet.

It Don't Look Good For Saul/Lil G

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't even know what "lil G" is supposed to do. Granting that a stupid person in the media asked him about Ward two years ago, what did Ward do 2 years ago? Sue his promoter and went AWOL. HBO offered him the fight and he turned it down. Two years later, of course, things change. What do you expect? My conclusion is there are childish people in this world with unreasonable hate.

Comment

Originally posted by koolkc107 View Post
      If history is any indicator, the fight is going to tank...and badly.

Floyd/DLH did 2.4M buys. The next PPV fight after (Pac/Barerra II) did 350K buys.

Floyd/Canelo did 2.2M buys. The PPV fight after that (Bradley/Marquez) did 375K buys.

Floyd/Pac did 4.6M buys. The next PPV fight (Floyd/Berto) did 400K buys.

The projections for Floyd/Mac, even by haters, has it over 4M buys.

Which means Canelo/Lil G might be in trouble.

I will go on record right now as predicting it does under a million buys.
      The thing is Canelo could have been a bigger star if he wasn't lazy and spoiled. Canelo is just living off the young, white, Mexican thing. He makes no effort to learn english, doesn't self promote aka (Mayweather and Conor). He is not necessarily outspoken, and rarely challenges himself unless pushed in the way he was pushed to fight Lara, Trout and now GGG.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
        I think boxing is at a higher water mark right now after MayMac. It outperformed expectations so I think a lot of cats who bought in for that for the first time or are casual fans usually will come back in a couple weeks for Canelo vs GGG. Plus a think a nice portion of hardcore fans saved their money for this fight with their lil boycott of MayMac.

So I think Canelo vs GGG for sure gets over 1M, which I was thinking they might not do previously cuz I expected MayMac to disappoint, but now I think they have a great chance to hit or even surpass 1.5M buys which will be Canelo's biggest PPV as the A side.
        Agreed. When it rains everyone gets wet. MayMac despite all the hate I bestowed on it, was actually the type of massive event that built momentum for the sport. I expect 1mm + just based on the quality of the matchup, the reliable Mexican fan base, and the general mojo in the sport right now..

Comment

I never full on expected it to do 1M buys. I always expected it to do around 700-900,000 buys, so doing less than a million would not be a disappointment for them, I'd say.

Comment

Originally posted by koolkc107 View Post
            That's what Lil g fans do...draw parallels where there aren't any.

BHop was already highly respected AND battle-tested by the time he fought Tito.

You can believe this or choose not to but I told folks for months before that fight that BHop would stop him, that DLH had already laid down a blueprint that a savvy Hopkins could easily adapt to his own style.

Hopkins was already tested and had not waited until he was halfway to 40 to face elite competition.

And unlike Canelo, Tito was not "green" to the weightclass. Trinidad had already beaten a legit, world class middleweight (William Joppy who had defended the WBA belt 11 times, 8 straight times after regaining it).

There really is no comparison.
            Give me a break. Those in boxing respected Hops just as Golovkin is respected. You aren't ranked as a P4P by virtually everyone and not be respected. There were plenty of people though who disrespected Hopkins and made the same arguments about weak competition in a weak division. The opening line made Tito a 3-1 favorite.

You aren't a 3-1 underdog as the established champion of the division going against a fighter who had recently moved up (yeah Tito had 1 fight at MW prior to the Hops fight, Canelo fought above that recently) without some heavy doubt about how good you really are.

Boxing experts by something like 2-1 picked Tito. Tito was a heck of a fighter but he also had been exposed by DLH as being beatable. You can say all you want but Hopkins didn't get the massive respect until after this fight. He didn't get the recognition he deserved. And you know what there was reason just like Golovkin to say his resume wasn't great. It wasn't terrible but it wasn't one you'd say that's some real good competition. Hops faced one elite fighter prior to the Tito fight and that was RJJ. That at the time wasn't considered a super fight it was two young guys just really coming into their own.

You actually are blowing up your whole argument. If Hopkins was so established why didn't he move up prior to Tito? Why did he stick around another three years after beating Tito to fight DLH, who clearly was a smaller fighter? Even after DLH Hops didn't move up. You say unlike Golovkin who hasn't proven himself at MW Hops did even prior to Tito. So if that is the case then Hops didn't challenge himself for years??

I am not making these arguments I l have no problem with Hops before Tito or after. I just find it hypocritical to look at his career prior to Tito and say yeah everything is cool with that but crying about Golovkin. The logical and factual argument I'm presenting destroys the emotional hater argument.
            Last edited by Diego Rodriguez; 09-02-2017, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Real boxing fans will enjoy the fight. Stop worrying about the $$ and enjoy the action.

Comment

Originally posted by bigsmoothh View Post
                this is something that surprise's me too. why a few years back boxing fans weren't too cautious on fighters purses or ppv sales.
                I mean I'm always happy if a fight does good numbers but before a fight I'm not thinking about that
                I think about how the actual fight will go down
                Boxing fans are weird haha

Comment

Originally posted by Diego Rodriguez View Post
                  Give me a break. Those in boxing respected Hops just as Golovkin is respected. You aren't ranked as a P4P by virtually everyone and not be respected. There were plenty of people though who disrespected Hopkins and made the same arguments about weak competition in a weak division. The opening line made Tito a 3-1 favorite.

You aren't a 3-1 underdog as the established champion of the division going against a fighter who had recently moved up (yeah Tito had 1 fight at MW prior to the Hops fight, Canelo fought above that recently) without some heavy doubt about how good you really are.

Boxing experts by something like 2-1 picked Tito. Tito was a heck of a fighter but he also had been exposed by DLH as being beatable. You can say all you want but Hopkins didn't get the massive respect until after this fight. He didn't get the recognition he deserved. And you know what there was reason just like Golovkin to say his resume wasn't great. It wasn't terrible but it wasn't one you'd say that's some real good competition. Hops faced one elite fighter prior to the Tito fight and that was RJJ. That at the time wasn't considered a super fight it was two young guys just really coming into their own.

You actually are blowing up your whole argument. If Hopkins was so established why didn't he move up prior to Tito? Why did he stick around another three years after beating Tito to fight DLH, who clearly was a smaller fighter? Even after DLH Hops didn't move up. You say unlike Golovkin who hasn't proven himself at MW Hops did even prior to Tito. So if that is the case then Hops didn't challenge himself for years??

I am not making these arguments I l have no problem with Hops before Tito or after. I just find it hypocritical to look at his career prior to Tito and say yeah everything is cool with that but crying about Golovkin. The logical and factual argument I'm presenting destroys the emotional hater argument.
                  BHop's resume before Tito has him in against better folks than Lil g's prior to this year.

There is really no argument in that respect.

And as far as BHop fighting smaller men in Tito and Oscar, you can't compare that to anything Lil g has done and still Lil g favorably.

BHop waited for those guys to fight at higher weights. He didn't ask them to come up two weight classes for a "one and done
                  freakshow".

Hopkins prior to Tito is still a much tougher road than what we have seen Lil g do. Especially given the fact that BHop didn't fight a bunch of guys making there debut at 160. By contrast, Lil g fought many coming up in weight for the first time...like he is doing with Canelo.

Comment

I think May-Mac left a good taste in people's mouths in a way May-Pac never did. Now with GGG - Canelo one two punch I think we may create new boxing fans for life.

Comment

Were any of those fights after the big ones supposed to do much more than what they did though?

Only Floyd vs Berto really stands out and that can probably be put down to people being pissed at the Pac performance, and Floyds selling point as the bad guy is people paying to see him lose, which Berto had no chance of making happen.

Comment

Working...
                      X