No announcement yet.

Why do some call Hispanic a race?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do some call Hispanic a race?

Very confusing why this happens because I always understood it to be a culture not a racial group.

Bait thread. Must......resist......sooooo.....tempting....

Comment

Originally posted by rabagiyo_ View Post
      Bait thread. Must......resist......sooooo.....tempting....
      How is this a bait thread brah?

This is a legit question, how do people get confused with this.

Comment

When I took the taks test in school and when they asked to bubble in your race, hispanic was a choice.

Comment

Originally posted by boxingfan91 View Post
          When I took the taks test in school and when they asked to bubble in your race, hispanic was a choice.
          Right, some places do that.

But it's a culture not a race, so why do people confuse it?

Comment

Hispanic was a term started by President Nixon it means An American citizen or resident of Spanish descent.

Comment

"Hispanic" refers to Spanish speaking people in the Americas. Latinos on the other hand people of latin american origin. In most cases they overlap. Brazilians are non hispanic latins for example. Its like the relationship between "Arab" and "muslim"

Comment

Originally posted by jose830 View Post
                Hispanic was a term started by President Nixon it means An American citizen or resident of Spanish descent.
                But is that the same thing as a race?

I understand the culture part of it and 100% agree it is a cultural group but a race?

Comment

what i don't understand is some consider brazilians hispanic but they got nothing to do with spain.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
                    what i don't understand is some consider brazilians hispanic but they got nothing to do with spain.
                    They're latinos but not hispanics. People seem to use the terms simultaneously, which of course isnt correct

Comment

Working...
                    X