Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Hearn: Inactive Fighters Calling Non-Stop Since Jacobs Signing!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cigar View Post
    The death knell for PBC has begun...
    Eddie Hearn be taking ovah! He da saviour of boxing!

Comment

I don't think Eddie will take over in the states. Not with some the purses that get bandied about.

Didn't Gary Russell Jr get $1 million for fight Patrick Hyland Jr?

How much do you reckon Josh Warrington got for fighting the same opponent? Maybe about 10%?

Eddie has alluded to those overpayments already. The thing is nobody likes saying this guy is getting overpaid because of the risks implicit in the sport. But the trickle down effect of those sort of purses is there will be someone on that card getting battered for pennies.

I do think Eddie should sign Jarrell Miller though. If he hasn't already.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyBlanco View Post
        Frampton? When the Hearns had him, no one knew who he was. They did nothing to make him bigger.

Selby is something to brag about? Or Kell Brook, who Eddie cashed in on by serving him up to GGG when he has no business fighting a middleweight, and now Brook is ruined? DeGale doesn't sell a ticket anywhere. He hasn't even fought in the UK since 2014. He's no star there, and he's certainly not one here.

If your calling cards are a mishandled Brook, a pre-well known Frampton and Selby & DeGale, you're on pretty shaky ground as a promoter.

Selby is something brag
        who pulled Frampton DeGale and Selby out of the U.K.? Haymon. So blame him.

DeGale sold really wel vs Groves. U keep skipping Froch and joshua too

Comment

What other guys are signing with promoters? More specifically, what other Haymon guy signed with a promoter? None. It's one guy. One guy doesn't make a trend.

Or you can sign with Top Rank and fight a whopping twice a year, like Crawford and Ramirez - and then get frozen out when you won't extend your deal, like Mikey Garcia did.

Or you can sign with Golden Boy and fight a whopping twice a year, like JoJo Diaz and Jason Quigley.

Oh yeah, that's soooo much better than Haymon.

Signing with a promoter doesn't necessarily solve the activity problem.
          ramirez lomajenko and crawford all fighting 4 times next year. Crawford got over 2 mil for his last fight.

U say only Jacobs but Frampton just signed with Warren be beterbiev about to sign with TR

Comment

Originally posted by killakali View Post
            ramirez lomajenko and crawford all fighting 4 times next year.
            We'll see. Loma and Crawford are getting smaller TV audiences on ESPN than they did at HBO. Crawford struggles to sell 8,000 seats outside of Omaha so TR hasn't hit a home run in promoting him either.

Crawford got over 2 mil for his last fight.
            Source???

U say only Jacobs but Frampton just signed with Warren be beterbiev about to sign with TR
            Frampton has always had a promoter; that's not new.

And if I'm 11-0, maybe I'm signing with a promoter. But if I'm Spence, Mikey, Thurman, etc. and I sign with a promoter, my purses will be 20-30% less with no appreciable benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by sicko View Post
              “You don’t promote fighters during a seven- or eight-week camp. You promote fighters 365 days a year"
              That is a mentality that is so need here in the States from Promoters! Last promoter that did that was Don King! Yeah King unfortunately stole from a lot of people but no question when he was on top
              I look forward to seeing Hearn's 24/7/365 marketing. Haven't seen it with DeGale, Callum Smith, Quigg, Katie Taylor or Whyte yet.

Boxing was doing numbers both on PPV and on HBO and Showtime (with Tyson) that makes today's numbers look Laughable when you have fans celebrating a 1 Million rating or 300K+ PPV Buys.
              That's not a boxing thing, that's a TV thing. 30 years ago, everything was doing viewership numbers that make today's numbers look laughable. In the 1986 TV season, the top 30 highest-rated TV shows did a 16 rating or above (audience roughly 16-17 million people). In the 2016 TV season, not a single show averaged a 16 rating or 16 million people. The highest-rated show in 1986 did a 35 rating & an audience of 31 million people; in 2016, the #1 show did a 12.8 rating & an audience of 14.5 million.

This trying to take Mayweather path of not having a promoter I don't see that working for anybody else especially guys who don't have the Personality or Balls to become the Villain in boxing and ruffle some feathers to get people's attention even if it means saying stupid stuff you truly don't believe but know it will make headlines before your fights
              One of boxing's biggest problems is credibility, and it's largely because promoters lie. They lie about how good the fight is, they lie about TV ratings, they lie about PPV buys, they lie about everything.

That's not promoting. That's not marketing. That's lying, and it hurts the sport.

You don't see the NBA, NFL, NHL, MLS, MLB or other major sports leagues do that.

Comment

I look forward to seeing Hearn's 24/7/365 marketing. Haven't seen it with DeGale, Callum Smith, Quigg, Katie Taylor or Whyte yet.

That's not a boxing thing, that's a TV thing. 30 years ago, everything was doing viewership numbers that make today's numbers look laughable. In the 1986 TV season, the top 30 highest-rated TV shows did a 16 rating or above (audience roughly 16-17 million people). In the 2016 TV season, not a single show averaged a 16 rating or 16 million people. The highest-rated show in 1986 did a 35 rating & an audience of 31 million people; in 2016, the #1 show did a 12.8 rating & an audience of 14.5 million.

One of boxing's biggest problems is credibility, and it's largely because promoters lie. They lie about how good the fight is, they lie about TV ratings, they lie about PPV buys, they lie about everything.

That's not promoting. That's not marketing. That's lying, and it hurts the sport.

You don't see the NBA, NFL, NHL, MLS, MLB or other major sports leagues do that.
                Great reply with some very valid points! Boxing was BUILT off of Lying! Don King and Bob Arum are he greatest promoters in boxing history because they're the best Liars. One of Arums Famous Quotes is "Yesterday I Was Lying, Today I'm Telling The Truth"

As for TV Ratings...Yes you have to factor in the Internet and more people was watching Network TV back then but also HBO and Showtime was in far less homes back then compared to now and a fight like Tito Trinidad vs Pernell Whitaker drew a 16.5 Rating. Prince Naseem Hamed was a ratings hit every time he fought and others

As for others sports, their ratings are UP compared to years ago not down like boxing who as a whole has declined all the way down under Hockey and Golf which is sad. But the NFL ratings in particular, they seem to break and record and come close to it every Super Bowl.

Only people who watch Boxing Religiously are us Hardcore Boxing Fans, while with NFL and NBA casuals turn to the game and can watch any game that is on regardless of who is play because it is the topic of conversation on social media. They know where to go Weekly to watch Games. With boxing you literally have to CHASE Fights and Fighters and everything is still on a word of mouth bases

Sadly boxing did not even trend on Saturday because you had some College Football Game on as well as a great Baseball Playoff Game between Dodgers vs Cubs.

Comment

We'll see. Loma and Crawford are getting smaller TV audiences on ESPN than they did at HBO. Crawford struggles to sell 8,000 seats outside of Omaha so TR hasn't hit a home run in promoting him either.

Source???

Frampton has always had a promoter; that's not new.

And if I'm 11-0, maybe I'm signing with a promoter. But if I'm Spence, Mikey, Thurman, etc. and I sign with a promoter, my purses will be 20-30% less with no appreciable benefit.
                  Rafael already posted the over 2mil for crawford. I looked it up for Scipoo2009 but I'm not googling it again.

A lot of the espn problems are because other live sports run over and they start on other espn networks. They need to get that fixed.

Comment

Working...
                  X