No announcement yet.

Lennox Lewis vs Ingemar Johansson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by young_robbed View Post
    How likely is it that Johannson is going to connect on Lewis's chin anyway, and stop him like McCall and Rahman did? I don't think its likely..
    That's the way I see it. Lewis was never careless in the big fights.

Comment

You can pick apart ANYONE's resume. Lewis managed to beat everyone you just listed, one way or another.e,

I don't think Johannson hits harder then Briggs or Mercer to be honest. He was probably more accurate, but is he going to land? Lewis is going to keep him on the end of his left jab. Lewis had a long reach and was much bigger and stronger then Johannson. he's going to set up powerful shots, shots that Johannson likely can't take.

I see an early stoppage likely
      Yes he does by quite a bit. Neither had the one punch power Ingo had. No way did Mercer or Briggs punch harder than Johansson.

Comment

I rate Bruno's power above Ingo's as well.

I don't consider Mercer's power a significant factor in him giving Lewis trouble, more so it was his skill level (which was higher than Johansson's IMO).

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Blue Yonda View Post
          How true, & it wouldn't be difficult with Johansson, either.
          Very very slim resume, minus that Patterson win. Plus he lost to Patterson twice which kind of negates the win. He does have a 1st round KO over Machen and a win over hein hoff, London, and Cooper, but that's it.

Originally posted by Old Mongoose View Post
          Yes he does by quite a bit. Neither had the one punch power Ingo had. No way did Mercer or Briggs punch harder than Johansson.
          Ingo fought smaller and not as durable fighters as those men did. That's why he displayed such good power. you can bring up the hein hof fight all you want but hoff wasn't that good to begin with. I don't think he punched harder then those guys.
          He always did have great accuracy though, I'll give him that. I just don't see at all how Ingo can hit harder then Briggs or mercer. Bigger, stronger, and harder punching men in my opinion.

Comment

Very very slim resume, minus that Patterson win. Plus he lost to Patterson twice which kind of negates the win. He does have a 1st round KO over Machen and a win over hein hoff, London, and Cooper, but that's it.

Ingo fought smaller and not as durable fighters as those men did. That's why he displayed such good power. you can bring up the hein hof fight all you want but hoff wasn't that good to begin with. I don't think he punched harder then those guys.
            He always did have great accuracy though, I'll give him that. I just don't see at all how Ingo can hit harder then Briggs or mercer. Bigger, stronger, and harder punching men in my opinion.
            Lots of fighters have accuracy, but they don't punch like Ingo imo. Ray Mercer's KO record isn't even that impressive, his best KO is over Tommy Morrision who is hardly Mr durable either.

No way did Ray Mercer punch as hard as Ingo. Eddie Machen was very durable in his prime and even took a prime SONNY LISTON the full 12, yet Johansson KO'd him cold in 1. Thats impressive.

I find it hard to belive your saying these punched as hard as Ingo. Briggs & Mercer didn't even make it in the Ring Top 100 Punchers list.

Comment

Historian Ron Lipton on Ingo's Power

For sheer power, Ingo’s right hand was up there with the best,” says Ron. “Max Baer’s had more torque and was a looping, roundhouse shot. Dempsey’s was an iron-fisted right hand delivered in a different manner, heavy, fast and with crunch.

“Liston’s right was a clubbing machine, which was like getting hit with a baseball bat. Tyson’s had more snap and he could loop it around your gloves with great bicep and tricep power behind it or over the top.

“Foreman was a muscular, roundhouse master with a clubbing right that was devastating in an uppercut or a roundhouse loop.”

“On his best night, Ingemar stopped a gold medal winner and one of the fastest punching heavyweights who ever lived in Floyd Patterson. Ingo also scored a first round victory over Eddie Machen, one of the craftiest and most sophisticated of heavyweight boxers, who nullified all the power of Sonny Liston over twelve rounds.

I believe that right hand of Ingo’s, sneaky and well timed, had enough kinetic energy to pierce and shake a chin carved out of Mount Rushmore. But once the power of that punch was revealed to the boxing world, Johansson’s lack of other skills defused his ability to get it in by setting it up.”
              Do you ever hear Ray Mercer or Shannon Briggs Punching Power spoke about with the ATG Punchers? Nope.
              Last edited by Perfect Plex; 02-04-2011, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Lots of fighters have accuracy, but they don't punch like Ingo imo. Ray Mercer's KO record isn't even that impressive, his best KO is over Tommy Morrision who is hardly Mr durable either.

No way did Ray Mercer punch as hard as Ingo. Eddie Machen was very durable in his prime and even took a prime SONNY LISTON the full 12, yet Johansson KO'd him cold in 1. Thats impressive.

I find it hard to belive your saying these punched as hard as Ingo. Briggs & Mercer didn't even make it in the Ring Top 100 Punchers list.
                Pound for Pound Ingo hits harder then all of them. the Machen stoppage in my opinion was a total fluke. That must have been the most unlucky KO ever.

How much did Ingo weigh in his prime? Just below 200 pounds if I'm correct. Well, I think that when comparing two punchers like Briggs and Mercer to a puncher like Ingo, the size difference and strength difference must be huge. Ingo produced these kinds of KOs because of how much smaller heavies were usually back then.

Anyway, I don't think Ingo will connect that often on lewis. Too small and he doesn't have the right style to beat lewis

Comment

Historian Ron Lipton on Ingo's Power

Do you ever hear Ray Mercer or Shannon Briggs Punching Power spoke about with the ATG Punchers? Nope.

That's true, Ingo KO'd a Gold Medalist. Of course the author failed to mention that it was the middleweight gold medalist. Lennox Lewis was also a gold medalist, but he was hardly a middleweight.

Comment

Pound for Pound Ingo hits harder then all of them. the Machen stoppage in my opinion was a total fluke. That must have been the most unlucky KO ever.

How much did Ingo weigh in his prime? Just below 200 pounds if I'm correct. Well, I think that when comparing two punchers like Briggs and Mercer to a puncher like Ingo, the size difference and strength difference must be huge. Ingo produced these kinds of KOs because of how much smaller heavies were usually back then.

Anyway, I don't think Ingo will connect that often on lewis. Too small and he doesn't have the right style to beat lewis
                    Ok Valuev is bigger & stronger than David Haye. But yet who punchers Harder? Weight & strength dosen't always mean a bigger puncher.

Well if Ingo vs Machen KO is fluke, then all KO's must be then. Thats a crappy excuse.

Comment

Ok Valuev is bigger & stronger than David Haye. But yet who punchers Harder? Weight & strength dosen't always mean a bigger puncher.

Well if Ingo vs Machen KO is fluke, then all KO's must be then. Thats a crappy excuse.
                      not really what I meant. Valuev was never a puncher. Mercer and Briggs are both punchers and have competed at a level of bigger and stronger heavyweight champions.

I do think its a fluke. Machen never ever got KO'd that early. At least, not in his prime. It brings up my point again that Ingemar was a very pinpoint accurate puncher. And he hit very hard.

Comment

Working...
                      X