No announcement yet.

Andy Ruiz was on and on about Mexico not a word about USA

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andy Ruiz was on and on about Mexico not a word about USA

So here is a guy who got everything from the USA. He was born and bred in the USA but when he wins he says viva Mexico!!!

I've watched a few of his interviews and he never mentions the USA at all and is all about Mexico. How do you explain such stuff and how do the rest of the Americans feel?

California used to be Mexico, bruh.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
      Stupid reply.

Comment

If he wants to represent Mexico I see nothing wrong with that. I believe both of his parents are from Mexico. Mexico has never had a Heavyweight champion so I think it’s great. AJ represents Nigeria has the African tattoo on his arm. The only reason he fought for them in the Olympics because he was turned down by Nigeria for missing a deadline. He doesn’t really mention being British.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Shaw View Post
          So here is a guy who got everything from the USA. He was born and bred in the USA but when he wins he says viva Mexico!!!

I've watched a few of his interviews and he never mentions the USA at all and is all about Mexico. How do you explain such stuff and how do the rest of the Americans feel?
          He was born in the USA but raised in a Mexican family, with strong ties to Mexico, even represented them in the amateurs.

If you ask me, this is his way of overcompensating for Mexico for being born in the USA, and speaking better English than Spanish.

Comment

It bothers me a bit. My family is from Italy, my mom was born there, we were raised to think of ourselves as Americans of Italian descent. I have Italian citizenship myself and used to speak Italian better than Ruiz speaks Spanish. But not for a minute do I question the fact that I'm American.

I realize Ruiz spent time in Mexico. I have no problem with him being proud of his Mexican heritage but at the same time never talking about his American citizenship.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
              After Mexico's independence from Spain (1810) it held onto California until 1848.

Those guys just can't let go of that whopping 38 years of mostly symbolic ownership of a frontier.

Sad!

Comment

I think most Americans feel this way. "Multiculturalism" inevitably leads to populations reverting to their ancestral culture.

The US had a distinct culture from its founding until perhaps as recently as the 1980s, but mass immigration, the globalization of its media, etc... The word doesn't really possess much distinct meaning.

In the interior states where the Americans of the last generation fled to, and households which have at least one parent from that generation, there is still a distinct "American culture".

In major cities and along the coasts, it doesn't really refer to any specific thing. It's just a tax system and random tribes that mostly hate each other. If you ask someone what they are they answer with their ancestry, not "American".
                Last edited by ////; 06-08-2019, 12:40 PM.

Comment

I’m Mexican so I know your question isn’t for me, but both his parents are Mexican and to us he qualifies to represent us if he wants we have no issue. My question to you is... what’s your issue with him representing Mexico if that’s what he chooses?

Comment

Originally posted by Robi13 View Post
                    I’m Mexican so I know your question isn’t for me, but both his parents are Mexican and to us he qualifies to represent us if he wants we have no issue. My question to you is... what’s your issue with him representing Mexico if that’s what he chooses?
                    Allow me to butt in.....like I said above personally I have no issue with him representing Mexico but JUST ONCE I'd like to hear him say he is appreciative of his rights as an American.

Comment

Working...
                    X