No announcement yet.

Assault in the Ring

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assault in the Ring

This is one of boxing's darkest story's...a 1983 boxing match that took place between undefeated prospect Billy Collins Jr. and Luis Resto.

The fight was on the undercard for a bout between Roberto Durán and Davey Moore. Resto unexpectedly beat the highly touted Collins in a 10-round unanimous decision; however, after the fight, Resto's gloves were found to be missing a significant amount of padding, an illegal tampering which allowed Resto to increase his punches' effectiveness against Collins during the fight and cause tremendous damage. What began as a boxing match turned into a life altering moment for both participants - Resto and his trainer Panama Lewis landed in prison for their illegal actions.

Last edited by jaded; 08-16-2018, 05:50 PM.

Just about the most disgusting act in sports EVER!! Funk Louie Resto…….Rockin'
    Last edited by Rockin'; 08-11-2018, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jaded View Post
      This is one of boxing's darkest story's...a 1983 boxing match that took place between undefeated prospect Billy Collins Jr. and Luis Resto.

The fight was on the undercard for a bout between Roberto Durán and Davey Moore. Resto unexpectedly beat the highly touted Collins in a 10-round unanimous decision; however, after the fight, Resto's gloves were found to be missing a significant amount of padding, an illegal tampering which allowed Resto to increase his punches' effectiveness against Collins during the fight and cause tremendous damage. What began as a boxing match turned into a life altering moment for both participants - Collins' eyesight was damaged so badly his career immediately ended, and nine months later, Collins committed suicide; Resto and his trainer Panama Lewis landed in prison for their illegal actions.

Lying ass Luis Resto. Luis drug Panama Lewis into his bullsht and ruined his rep and career. I know Luis Resto and he is a lier. Those people who made that documentary coerced him into blaming Panama also Luis got paid for his appearance in the documentary. It ws not much but it was enough for him to spend to get high. Smfh

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
        Just about the most disgusting act in sports EVER!! Funk Louie Resto…….Rockin'
        James Butler's up there.

Comment

Originally posted by fistic flow View Post
          James Butler's up there.
          James Butlers actions were simply a lack of class. What Resto did was also a lack of class but more so just disgusting..... Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Mrsantiago View Post
            Lying ass Luis Resto. Luis drug Panama Lewis into his bullsht and ruined his rep and career. I know Luis Resto and he is a lier. Those people who made that documentary coerced him into blaming Panama also Luis got paid for his appearance in the documentary. It ws not much but it was enough for him to spend to get high. Smfh
            Yeah but wasn't Panama Lewis also under suspicion for Aaron Pryor's water bottle concoction? I saw that documentary and I think Resto may have referenced it but I can't fully remember.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrsantiago View Post
              Panama's rep and career were ruined long before this documentary. Clearly Resto got caught lying during the documentary and the film-maker was able to get the truth out of him. There would be no way he wouldn't know his gloves felt thin and he also admitted to plaster of paris warps being used.

I think Lewis also lied but why do think Resto was coerced into blaming Panama? Do you think Lewis wouldn't have known what was going on even if he wasn't the one who actually removed the padding?
              Last edited by jaded; 08-12-2018, 04:33 AM.

Comment

Yes Resto admitted that Panama would put asthma medicine(speed) in the water bottles of his fighters including his and Pryors

Comment

Luis Resto was the mastermind behind the cheat and Panama Lewis the victim whose reputation was tarnished? -- Boy Americans can talk themselves into just about anything; say it often enough, say it loud enough and some people will believe you, so why not say it?

Comment

Yeah, Panama Lewis was clearly behind the scheme. He went into the bathroom with someone else to remove the padding from Resto's gloves and by the time Resto put them on, he was being pushed out there to go fight. Yes, he could've spoken up and asked for new gloves, which he mentions, but he didn't, but he admits to seeing Lewis go into the bathroom and then being handed the lighter gloves. I don't see why Resto couldn't at least be reinstated so he could work the corner for boxing matches. It seems now he could only work in a boxing gym, like Lewis. It's been what, 35 years? Resto went to prison and has done his time, the guy that made the documentary even seemed to think so, yet no state boxing commission seems to want to give the guy a break. Now not wanting to let Panama work a corner I can understand, because he's a shady, lying, weaselly sack of crap who I hope ends up face down in a dirty alley someday. I have this documentary on DVD and it's worth the purchase to see the extra, extended interviews, where Resto admits to using plaster of Paris to another fighter in front of Central Park, someone who has since found religion it seems and some footage of the director trying to file another lawsuit unsuccessfully on behalf of Collins' father and an interview with Freddie Roach, really good stuff IMO. I love boxing documentaries, if you guys know of any other, please mention them here, because the only other ones I know of are the ESPN Sportscentury ones and HBO Legendary Nights ones.

Any others I should check out? Didn't ESPN do a few 30 for 30 boxing episodes?

Comment

Working...
                    X