No announcement yet.

shorter guys

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shorter guys

How do you fight a shorter guy? I sparred with a shorter guy and did terrible. He's had a lot of reach, almost as much as me, though, but he's way shorter, so I guess he's got long arms, and he was very muscley, probably about the same weight as me, but I'm way taller. Basically I lost my balance a lot when he used his strength to push me off when I got him in a corner, and I just found it hard to duck and go under his jabs in order to get up close while he was in the corner so I could throw some hooks and uppercuts. I only got a couple of decent shots in (a couple of jabs. Couldn't even get that many cause his defense was too good). For the rest, I know I can hit harder than I did, but kept losing balance and couldn't put my legs into the punches, so it was like floating on space and trying to hit a wall. I think I should work on fighting low (legs more bent than usual) so I can duck easier, combinations, and most definitively footwork. Agree? If so, any tips on those? Or do you think bending my legs would just give him more advantage? Coach just told me to use the lower back more to go under and get lower and work on combinations. But I think footwork messed me up big time too... Any tips would help.

use your jab to dominate and stand upright in the center of the ring, throw lots of straight punches to keep him away and try a sneaky uppercut when he comes in to try and push you. turn off too, by that i mean pivot off to either direction when he comes straight at you and launch a second attack just as hes turning to face you. put sting into your punches, throw lots and put snap into em.

Comment

Originally posted by aussieboxer2320 View Post
      use your jab to dominate and stand upright in the center of the ring, throw lots of straight punches to keep him away and try a sneaky uppercut when he comes in to try and push you. turn off too, by that i mean pivot off to either direction when he comes straight at you and launch a second attack just as hes turning to face you. put sting into your punches, throw lots and put snap into em.
      Sounds good. I gotta practice so I can be ready to pivot when he tries that. I'll hit the bag with lots of snap too.

Comment

im short myself 5' 6" and well i need to get inside, jabbing would be the best way to control and post, peeps taller than me always do that.

Comment

Working...
        X