Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have any experience with a person with drug,alcohol,or depression issues?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have any experience with a person with drug,alcohol,or depression issues?

One of my long time friends is basically spiraling out of control with drugs,drinking,and depression. How do you go about helping this person? His parents are both dead and he doesn't speak to his brother so I think I'm probably the closest person he has. It's just a sad situation really.

He's going to ****ing die if he doesn't get help and sober up.

Damn..... sounds like suicide is right around the corner.

Comment

Just look them in the eye and tell them the truth. Tell them you see what they're doing to them selves and you hope they get better because everybody loves them and is worried about them. Plant that seed of hope inside them and hope they remember when they hit rock bottom so they have a reason to fight.

I got addicted to coke after my girl left me in college and I was on a path of destruction. One of my best friends pulled me aside and told me exactly what I just said, and I saw the truthfulness in his eyes and his words. It stayed with me. I didn't stop right away, but I remembered everyone who reached out to me and loved me and one day I just looked at myself in the mirror and said.. They're right and I started my path back towards the light.

Comment

Never, ever seen anyone be successful at coming between someone and that stuff. And I've seen a lot of attempts. They have to do it themselves... being available to help when/if they are ready is all you can do, but sometimes it's just too late.

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post
          Never, ever seen anyone be successful at coming between someone and that stuff. And I've seen a lot of attempts. They have to do it themselves... being available to help when/if they are ready is all you can do, but sometimes it's just too late.
          Unfortunately this is true. People who are out of control with vices don't care about their life. They know they're ****ed up and want to change, but it's just easier to keep destroying themselves rather than face a day sober. And sometimes they just enjoy getting obliterated, especially young guys your age southpaw. Say what you need to but don't be discouraged if he doesn't listen. When someone is at that stage getting ****ed up is the only thing that makes them feel "normal" and happy.

It's easier for them to just keep getting wasted because the idea of battling everyday to stay sober for a few weeks is difficult and terrifying.

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post
            Same, they have to help themselves first

Comment

They have to want it, something or someone that makes them want to fight it.
              They are so used to it its routine as others getting dressed and buying the paper every morning.

Talk to them, tell them you want to help them and it saddens you seeing them like they are. Its the only thing you can do really, sometimes its the simplest of things, simple words that stick with us for a lifetime. Just maybe your words and friendship will make them see they have somebody there, someone who cares for them and that could be enough.
              You might not think it but little things like that, someone showing they care can mean an awful lot to somebody who is in a bad place battling addiction.

Comment

That sounds like 80% of my friends. Once he gets his hands on opiates it's a wrap for him. I know 2 people that have died from them in the last 2 weeks.

Honestly the only thing IMO that can save these dudes is going to jail, or if they decide to better themselves and join a gym and become dedicated to fitness life.

Lifting weights, working out, really can do wonders for people with drug abuse and depression.

Comment

He might be wanting to just die. Sometimes living in this world isn't meant for everyone. If he has kids, guide him into that aspect of not only letting them down, but giving up on them and what that might do to their long term plans.

I had a best friend who was on the same boat. His lady left with his 2 boys, job fired him, lost his house, car etc etc. You know, the usual bs that happens in certain situations. I just stuck around, had a few cold ones with him. Kicked it. Talked football since he was a huge sports fan. Didn't ask him about his kids, didn't offer him money. Just basically kicked it with him til he saw someone gave a ****. He gave up the meth and heroin and got back on his feet. He's in his sons lives and things are looking up.

Just be there. That's all you really can do. It might help, it might not.
                  Last edited by hhs661; 04-09-2016, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BigNuts View Post
                    Damn..... sounds like suicide is right around the corner.
                    That's something I'm very worried about.

Comment

Working...
                    X