Depressed Knuckles (Boxer's Fracture)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Depressed Knuckles (Boxer's Fracture)

Hey all,

Have a quick question for ye's. I'm 25, 6'3", 215lbs, and 2 years ago I broke my right ring finger metacarpel (i'm right handed). I now have two depressed knuckles (ring finger & small finger). I recently purchased a heavy bag for exercise, but have noticed my depressed knuckles are getting bruised. I'm using 108" hand wraps and bag-mitts.

I was just wondering if i should even be using a heavy bag with depressed knuckles? Are there any other ways i can protect my fingers? Are there any famous boxers with depressed knuckles??

Any help would be appreciated, i don't want to break my hand again!!

Dan.
    Last edited by Dan_eire; 06-12-2007, 11:08 AM.

I dont have the knowledge to answer this but i know one kid in my gym who had the same problem and still hits the bag. Think it always bothers him. I would consult a physician on this one. Also i would purchase longer wraps for more protection and go through the knuckles (around the fingers-knuckles)

Comment

Originally posted by Dan_eire View Post
      Hey all,

Have a quick question for ye's. I'm 25, 6'3", 215lbs, and 2 years ago I broke my right ring finger metacarpel (i'm right handed). I now have two depressed knuckles (ring finger & small finger). I recently purchased a heavy bag for exercise, but have noticed my depressed knuckles are getting bruised. I'm using 108" hand wraps and bag-mitts.

I was just wondering if i should even be using a heavy bag with depressed knuckles? Are there any other ways i can protect my fingers? Are there any famous boxers with depressed knuckles??

Any help would be appreciated, i don't want to break my hand again!!

Dan.
      are you talking about the flimsy square mitts and wraps that come with the bag? If you are those wont help your knuckles any, get some 180" mexican wraps and from title or ringside along with some better padded gloves. You can even use the 108" under the 180 if you want. I did this when my hand was injured and it helped significantly.

Comment

Ok, thanks for the advice. Any of the vids i've watched for hand-wrapping, they've used 180" wraps, so i think the wraps i have (108") are too short to properly insulate my knuckles.

I've only started using the bag caus i'm trying to get back in shape after several operations to my knee (cruciate ligament) and hand (fracture), but by god it's tiring! Fair play to you guys training intensly every day, hopefully i'll be a little fitter in a few months!!

Thanks again.

P.S. If you guys have any heavy bag tips (techniques etc), it'd be much appreciated.

Comment

dont hit the bag too hard, just practice technique, get power from other types of training like plyometrics and explosive training drills then you wont have to put so much strain on your hands when you hit the bags

or try prozac ...

Comment

**** you azza, I came on her specifically to say that lol

Comment

are you upset?

Comment

Most boxing fractures are of the scaphoid bone in your wrist.

Comment

Working...
                X