No announcement yet.

Tyson Fury

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
    Fury catches a lot of heat but to me he is a throwback. He was brought up learning the craft, even to the point where he abstained from the more ethnocentric bare knuckle bouts the gypsies are famous for. Fury moves very well because he was moving in a ring from an early age. His punching ability is unknown but he has a good KO percentage.

Fury knows how to use a jab and stay out of trouble. he can fight in all ranges and counter punch. In a word...he can do more things that any heavyweight right now and has decent stamina when training. If he applies himself he might even make it back into the ring.
    Fine assessment!....But has much to do in convincing the authorities for the return of his boxing licence... Awful waste if he can't, as he's the one they're all worried about

Comment

At this stage he is basically on a level with your Jess Willard's and your Buster Douglas'. Though, until he comes back, I would rate those guys higher because they had the decency to lose the title in the ring.

I rate his talent, when fit, in shape, motivated etc. But if he doesnt get back in the ring and make something of himself he will be little more than a speck on the arse of the great HW Championship history.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
        At this stage he is basically on a level with your Jess Willard's and your Buster Douglas'. Though, until he comes back, I would rate those guys higher because they had the decency to lose the title in the ring.

I rate his talent, when fit, in shape, motivated etc. But if he doesnt get back in the ring and make something of himself he will be little more than a speck on the arse of the great HW Championship history.
        That's a pretty fair assessment too

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
          Fine assessment!....But has much to do in convincing the authorities for the return of his boxing licence... Awful waste if he can't, as he's the one they're all worried about
          Yup... Its a real coin toss aint it? I have a bit more confidence that he can make it back. Its still touch and go. He is a talent if he keeps it together.

Comment

Fury and Leon share one thing, they both made it to the top and partied themselves off of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
              I remember Neon Leon. Was a popular kids toy in the '80s.
              Must have been Suckermans older cousin from the late 70's ?
              Last edited by juggernaut666; 02-01-2018, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bundana View Post
                On a History forum (where it of course is fashionable to talk down the present) it is only to be expected, that someone like Fury will be heavily criticized.

However, as Bill points out, he isn't/wasn't really as bad, as some people want to make him out to be.

When I was watching his fight with Wlad, I remember thinking after the first 3-4 rounds, that he would not be able to last the full 12 rounds. With all that movement, he would surely gas long before the end! Surprisingly (at least to me) this of course didn't happen.

Now you may argue, that Wlad looked awful, that he couldn't pull the trigger, that Fury was lucky to be in the right place at the right time, etc. And while this may be true, it's difficult to ignore that he moves very well for such a big man... and that he can whip himself into really good shape, when he's serious.

I'm not saying he's one of the best heavyweight champs ever - but he's certainly not the worst!
                That's right, and historically speaking Fury, basically outclassed one of the most dominant champions of all time.. Then because he opted to give Wlad a rematch instead of facing his mandatory, the IBF stripped him and set up the Martin Glazkov fiasco which enabled AJ to gatecrash the party

Often wonder what would have happened, had the IBF not been as stringent..Would he have gone on a booze & drugs bender?... Somehow I don't think so, as he was already training and fully expectant of a much tougher fight second time around.... So in other words he knew Wlad wasn't at all shot, which most certainly was proven to be the case vs Joshua..

Have no doubt, Fury's fully focused on one thing only. That's AJ, and he's absolutely gunning for him.
                Fact he's also become quite pally with Parker and Wilder is a strong indication of his intent.
                Heard he may be leading Parker out for the unification bout in March.
                Perhaps he may lose a bit of dosh backing him as well

Comment

There have been big heavyweights before, and there have been heavyweights who can move.

But I don't think there has ever been a heavyweight who combines both like Tyson Fury. That makes him unique historically.

Comment

The Moby Dick of heavyweight champions would shock me if he had any surprising motion left in him. But with enough boxing savvy he might find another way to win other than moving about awkwardly having learned to use his size defensively and throwing 8-10 punches per round himself. Denied his twinkle-toe motion, planted firmly can he punch? Or is there simply not enough muscle there to get the job done on top heavyweight chins?

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                      The Moby Dick of heavyweight champions would shock me if he had any surprising motion left in him. But with enough boxing savvy he might find another way to win other than moving about awkwardly having learned to use his size defensively and throwing 8-10 punches per round himself. Denied his twinkle-toe motion, planted firmly can he punch? Or is there simply not enough muscle there to get the job done on top heavyweight chins?
                      I'd be pretty darn shocked too, as I don't see him reaching anywhere near the level of fitness attained by Joshua.
                      And as you've rightly implied, he may not have the punching power necessary for an out of shape fighter
                      ie Foreman, but he does have the combination of size, strength and awkwardness to burn out and walk down a superior athlete.... Knows plenty of tricks, and if his head's right, I reckon it's game on

Comment

Working...
                      X