No announcement yet.

The Boxing bookshelf

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
    I’m always looking for new recommendations as I’m sure many of you are too. What are some of the best books you would recommend? Here’s kind of a mixed list of recommended reading. Some biographies, some autobiographies, some essay collections, some stories around a fight or era etc;

The Sweet Science by AJ Liebling - collection of Liebling work from his work for the New Yorker in the 40s and 50s covering Louis, Marciano, Moore etc;. Liebling remains the best writer to ever cover the sport

The neutral corner by AJ Liebling - Similar to the Sweet Science these are world from the 50s to the 60s covering the likes of Liston, Patterson and Clay.

In the corner by Dave Anderson - Great stories and insight from some of history’s greatest trainers and boxing minds such as Ray Arcel, Eddie Futch, George Benton, Lou Duva, Angelo Dundee etc etc

In this corner by Peter Heller - 42 Champions from Mickey Walker to Billy Conn to Alexis Arguello and Roberto Duran. Great champions interviewed and brilliant insight.

Gods of War by Springs Toledo - a recent book by probably the finest writer today. A collection of essays from Arguello to Liston whilst counting down his 10 “gods of war”

In the Cheap seats by Springs Toledo - a collection of essays again by Toledo covering fights he’s attended in recent times. Excellent work again.

McIllvaney on Boxing by Hugh McIllvaney - Britain’s answer to Liebling, McIllvaney covered tons of fights and here’s some of his finest works

The Hardest game by Hugh McIllvaney - see the above description.

Dark Trade by Donald McRae - a fine collection of work which goes into great details and depths from a guy that travelled the world covering the sport

Corner Men by Robert Fried - Another great book with great insight into the minds of some of the most historical trainers.

Friday’s heroes by Willie Pep

Ghosts of Manila by Mark Kram - Great book covering Ali and Frazier

The fight of the century by Norman Mailer - Ali-Frazier I

Fight of the century: Louis vs. Schmeling by Patrick Myler

The longest fight: In the ring with Joe Gans by William Gildea - it’s not just about Gans-Nelson it’s alsk a biography of Gans.

The Four Kings by George Kimball - Leonard, Hagler, Hearns, Duran

Harry Greb: Live fast, die young by Stephen Compton

The Fearless Harry Greb by Bill Paxton

Sam Langford: Boxings uncrowned champion by Clay Moyle

Barney Ross: Life of a Jewish Fighter by Douglas Century

Sugar Ray Robinson with Dave Anderson

Charley Burley: The life and times of an uncrowned champion by Allen Rosenfeld

Roberto Duran: Hands of Stone by Christian Giudice

Dick Tiger: The life and times of a Boxing immortal by Adeyinka Makinde

Sweet William: The life of Billy Conn by Andrew O’Toole

Bad Intentions: The Mike Tyson story by Peter Heller

Blood Season: Mike Tyson and the world of boxing by Phil Berger

Then the best/my favorite autobiography’s I read

Larry Holmes
    Joe Frazier
    Ken Norton
    Floyd Patterson
    George Foreman
    Aaron Pryor
    Rocky Graziano
    Jake LaMotta
    Ken Buchanan

I’m probably forgetting a lot. Please recommend books you’ve found to be great and worth the read. I’m sure it will be appreciated by many.
    Your posts always put a smile on my face! I thank GOD as I read your posts!

I’m not poetic, hey jhonny and I, salute you, Tokyo!

Keep up your posting! Shalom

Comment

need to get my books out. I just wanted to bump this to keep it up while I get my **** together.

Comment

Ken Buchanan's autobiography was prob my fave. Been meaning to get hold of a copy of Eamonn Magee's book.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BQG2T...ng=UTF8&btkr=1

Comment

Originally posted by lightningleeroy View Post
          Ken Buchanan's autobiography was prob my fave. Been meaning to get hold of a copy of Eamonn Magee's book.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BQG2T...ng=UTF8&btkr=1
          Yeah, I really enjoyed Buchanan's book. My only quibble was that he was a little too bitter about Duran. I wish he'd have added further chapters after it appears they've met and buried the hatchet. I get that he was pissed with the low blow but Buchanan was losing the fight and he didn't have Duran where he wanted him. He likely doesn't get KO'd but he'd have lost a wide decision.

Comment

I just read (or listened to actually) Sweet Science within the last 2mos & I gotta say I think AJ Liebling has been so hyped as the best boxing writer ever that while massively entertained by his stories I felt underwhelmed with the writer himself. That said I still plan to check out Neutral Corner & check out some Pierce Egan sh^t who AJ proclaims to be the best boxing writer.

Comment

Also super curious to see what books others have enjoyed about boxing. I used to read virtually every boxing book that came out that I could find. I had a long lapse in reading & would like to not necessarily regain my old form, but to find some older books worth reading or rediscovering or new ones that may become gems now doe.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
                Yeah, I really enjoyed Buchanan's book. My only quibble was that he was a little too bitter about Duran. I wish he'd have added further chapters after it appears they've met and buried the hatchet. I get that he was pissed with the low blow but Buchanan was losing the fight and he didn't have Duran where he wanted him. He likely doesn't get KO'd but he'd have lost a wide decision.
                It was the first boxing autobiography that i ever read, all the others i have read all seem a bit samey. TBH tho I cant remember much from the book, the only thing i seem to remember was a quote, 'Those who achieve success are those who take a dream and make it come true'. Don't really know why that bit stuck with me, ha.

Comment

This book about Ron Lyle looks like deserving a look:

https://www.boxingscene.com/off-rope...ts-own--136369

Comment

Quite an extensive list. Some of that must be hard to get a hold of. I didn't see anything by former referees, though. They must have written a few. Of course there is always the Jack London story A Piece of Steak.

Comment

My pal Tonezzz has this thread going: https://www.boxingscene.com/forums/s...d.php?t=604937

A lot of Boxing related eBooks. Tis honestly amazing, I've been working my way through this library on and off for a couple of years now.

Comment

Working...
                      X