Tips for a new guy

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for a new guy

Hello,
    My name is Steven and I'm new here. I'm from Scotland and I'm 18.
    I'm 6 ft 1 and 189 pounds (13 stone 5) planning to cut to maybe 12-12.5 stone.

I've recently started back the gym, going for jogs, weights and punch bag training 3-4 times week. Ive also recently got really into boxing and really want to start it. Ive not started boxing at a boxing gym yet but I plan to in the next few weeks.

Been looking at videos and such, practicing what I think are the fundamentals to boxing (punches in shadow boxing, defense, my stamina (jogging) and conditioning (which I don't know the full ins and outs of))

Anyways, long story short:
    Do you guys have any advice on how to prepare and train to be a boxer?
    Any great exercises for strength and or stamina?
    Any advice for diet? (currently intaking 2200 calories for cutting weight)
    And idea idea roughly what weight category I would fit it aprox?

(Picture on profile when 12.5 stone a few years back)
    Last edited by Steven0022; 03-05-2012, 05:51 PM.

You need to search out a trainer who has experience training a beginner, you need to trust him and form a partnership after a few months together you'll know if he knows his business and you'll know if the sport is for you. Weight means nothing, just train and when your in shape thats your weight! Ray

Comment

Thanks man!

Comment

Get yourself in shape first, it can become a burden getting fit and tieing in techniques together. Get yourself fit, in shape, lean and toned, then find a gym.

Boxing is a fine sport, it's one of the only sports where natural talent doesn't guarantee success, if you have two fists and a heart you can go all the way, but you must have the mindset and you must be willing to learn. You will take a few beatings in the gym at first but that's a good learning curve, I'm not going to lie to you, the first 6-9 months for me was absolute hell. But after that, it's the best sport in the world. Don't rush into anything either.

Comment

There is no big secret to starting, just be prepared for some mental toughness. If you are in decent shape just get started right away. Jumprope, running, heavybag, mittwork, and especially sparring will build your stamina up. Don't worry about weight and all that crap, my trainer told me it takes at least a year of boxing to see where you stand talent and potential-wise.

Prepare for some rough times in the beginning, especially during sparring. For me personally it wasn't about the pain of getting hit (only body shots hurt tbh), it was more about the frustration of being outclassed and beaten up when you're giving it your all.

But once you've gone through this phase, and you see yourself getting success during sparring it's the most amazing feeling in the world. I couldn't even hit someone flush in the beginning, because everyone else in the gym had more experience. But nowadays I've developed a stiff jab and even land some counter rights from time to time against guys that used to beat me up.

I hate Mayweather but he's got one thing right lol, HARD WORK & DEDICATION. Be willing to learn, because you never truly stop learning in this sport.

Comment

Thanks very guys
            I'll be sure to take in all your advice
            Cheers

Comment

Working...
            X