Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How prevalent is Spanish culture in the Philippines?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by B.UTLER View Post
    Don't know how prevalent. We do have Spanish words but we don't speak Spanish. Except for some Spanish words and old churches, we're more American in my opinion.
    thats not true there are over 800 dialects in the filipino language...the chabacano people in the philipinnes speak only spanish..
    6 figures doe.....

Comment

Originally posted by LADIV View Post
      thats not true there are over 800 dialects in the filipino language...the chabacano people in the philipinnes speak only spanish..
      6 figures doe.....
      chabacano is like .000001% population in the philippines.. i'm sure TS is asking about philippines in general or as a whole.. but you're too dumb to understand that

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
        I once made a thread in the pinoy lounge saying that I looked up my name on facebook and there was only 1 latino guy and the rest were Pinoy people. It was pretty amusing to see that.

Edit: looked it up now, some more people came up from different backgrounds. My name has gone international. I made it famous.
        Interesting...

It'd be cool for ya'll to do DNA tests to see if you can trace any of your ancestors back to similar regions in Spain (presuming you meant you have a Spanish surname).

Comment

Originally posted by B.UTLER View Post
          chabacano is like .000001% population in the philippines.. i'm sure TS is asking about philippines in general or as a whole.. but you're too dumb to understand that
          Yeah I meant the Filipino culture as a whole - particularly food, language, religion (obviously the Roman Catholic population), and anything else that you associate with a country as a whole.

Although that is interesting that there is a small group in the Philippines that still speak Spanish as native tongue.

Comment

I heard that the Filipino martial arts are really Spanish martial arts.

The Catholic priests supposedly taught them how to use bladed weapons in order to fight against the Muslims of Mindanao.

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
              i dont know any pinoys named Kelvin, Kelvin
              my buddies name is kelvin. he works at fred meyers. yep, not seafood city. fred meyer.

i also know a pinoy kid named kyle.

Comment

Originally posted by adrikitty View Post
                Interesting...

It'd be cool for ya'll to do DNA tests to see if you can trace any of your ancestors back to similar regions in Spain (presuming you meant you have a Spanish surname).
                My paternal grandmother is 1/4 Spaniard, so I think that makes me 2 generations removed.

My father remembers a few things about his grandfather, he used to take him fishing a lot, play baseball, and he says his accent was different than anyone else. He mimicked him to give me an idea, my pops used a very fine Spanish accent, sounded like Sergio Martinez - for reference lol.

Comment

Originally posted by [ DUBBZZ ] View Post
                  I actually do have a friend named Kelvin.

Biggest Filipino dude I know.

Looks like a pinoy Forest Whitaker. Lol!

Originally posted by KING MEAT View Post
                  my buddies name is kelvin. he works at fred meyers. yep, not seafood city. fred meyer.

i also know a pinoy kid named kyle.
                  -MAKAVELLI- you see!!!

Comment

There are an estimated 4,000 Spanish words in Tagalog, or about 20-30% of Tagalog words while Visayan and other Philippine languages borrowed about 6,000 Spanish words. But then dig this: Chavacano, which is spoken in Zamboanga, is actually the only Spanish-based creole language in Asia. - google

other regional dialects probably has a higher percentage. ours in Camarines Sur (a philippine province with a spanish name) speaks with probably about 40% borrowed spanish/spanish sounding words.

Comment

I have always considered Filipinos to be the Mexicans of the Mongoloid race.

Comment

Working...
                      X