Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mikey fans, Is Mikey Making the Biggest Blunder in Boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Frankie2Jabs View Post
    What’s your insecurity with Mikey as a fan? Seems like you’re approaching this far too realistically than what it is. For instance I would think that you don’t want Mikey to lose his 0? When I mean insecurity that’s not an insult, I’m just curious if you’d prefer him not losing and stay undefeated as a “fan.” Do you feel that by design, if and when there’s really deep waters the ref has been strongly urged to stop it? Or will the Garcia’s fold sooner than later and not really risk the damage, all while as you said doing it for the bag?

M. Garcia was really critical of Canelo vs GGG. Basically there was a video if him telling family and friends at a barbecue that Canelo wasn’t all that good leading up to the GGG rematch. I don’t know, maybe there was some Mexican style narratives going around in the table that Mikey felt he had to say his opinion. He was arguing with others in table that Canelo wasn’t all that, meaning there were others there hyping Canelo.

Then after Canelo performed in the rematch, Mikey changed his whole tune about Canelo and Alvarez moved up in the P4P ranking.

I think that whole dialogue from Mikey’s perspective with his family and friends put a lot of pressure on Mikey. Meaning, most of those he knew around the table would talk more about Canelo than him... so who could Mikey fight that would hopefully lead his family and friends to view things differently? Take a dangerous fight with Errol Spence as Canelo said he wasn’t afraid of GGG as the rematch performance as well.

This challenge is what Mikey feels his legacy needs. Got to give props for Mikey. Spence hasn’t challenged anyone at 154, and is yet another fighter milking 147. That’s not daring to be great.
    Didn't read the whole thing because I could tell right away that you're one of these soccer fan types who puts "loyalty" above honesty and intelligent discussion. I can be a fan and still be honest. You cheerleaders will never understand people who are BOXING fans foremost and fans of certain fighters second.

Comment

People were fine with Rigondeaux who’s a natural 118 Bantam, but chose to fight at 122. He was P4P higher and a Lineal champ before Loma was as hyped, then Rigo wanted 124 with Loma when Loma was weighing at 125 for his 126 bouts.

Low and behold Loma fans deflected to say Rigo had bad mgmt or pricing himself out etc..when Loma team refused the rehydration clause even for a 124 catch.

Yet again, Low and behold Rigo had to concede to 130lbs and Team Loma finally accepted the rehydration clause for the morning of the fight.

So no, this is nothing like Loma fighting Spence. That is ******ed.
      Why write all that ?

The fight could have happened at 122, it wouldnt be any different. Loma had his number.

Comment

Originally posted by Banderivets View Post
        Why write all that ?

The fight could have happened at 122, it wouldnt be any different. Loma had his number.
        If it could’ve happened at 122, why did Loma want 126? Rigo was higher in the P4P list.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
          Didn't read the whole thing because I could tell right away that you're one of these soccer fan types who puts "loyalty" above honesty and intelligent discussion. I can be a fan and still be honest. You cheerleaders will never understand people who are BOXING fans foremost and fans of certain fighters second.
          And SRL has Mikey to pull the upset like soccer matches.

Comment

if Mikey wins this hes a boxing god...its an awsome matchup and i cant wait to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Trick-Pony View Post
              I mean, I'm a Lomachenko fan and for me, this is like Lomachenko moving up to challenge Spence and there's no way I think he would win that. I have no desire to see it, either. Honestly it would make no sense to make such a fight. Just wondering if Mikey fans honestly think this is a good move or if it will ruin him in the end? This is not even a good strategy. Duran moved up to fight Leonard but had several fights at 147 first. Loma moved up to fight Linares in his first lightweight fight, but it was a 5-pound leap and Linares doesn't hit like Spence at all. For that matter, neither did Leonard. I don't know. This just seems dumb all the way around. If you guys think this is a good idea, why?

I don't think it is the same thing. Mikey is huge compared to Loma. Mikey turned at 126 when he was very young and grew into a natural very big lightweight or a 140 pounder. Mikey weighed 149 on fight night for Loma and expects to weigh 155 on fight night for Spence. Loma turned pro in his late 20s and has never been bigger that a natural featherweight so Loma is fighting just as far above his best weight now at 135 as Mikey will be at 147 against Spence. Even fighting as a lightweight Loma has been about 137 on fight night or 12 pounds lighter than Mikey was for Easter on fight night. Loma could easily return to 126 and fight there while Mikey can barely make 135. Mikey will get slaughtered by Spence and so would Loma. Mikey is so much bigger than Loma naturally that he has a better chance to beat Spence than Loma would but it's still no chance at all in my opinion. I think Spence is better than Mikey and would win even if they weire the same size. Loma fighting Spence would be a much more unfair fight than Mikey fighting Spence.

Comment

Sorry. I just woke up and am making mistakes. I meant to say Mikey weighed 149 on fight night for Easter and wrote Loma by mistake.

Comment

And SRL has Mikey to pull the upset like soccer matches.

The SRL/LaLonde would be a decent comparison if Mikey were such an A-side that he could force Spence down in weight. I like this fight better than that...IF Mikey doesn't get destroyed that is.

Comment

I should not have posted in this thread because I am not a Mikey fan. I am a Spence fan hoping and believing Spence will slaughter Mikey and knock him out. We will know soon if Mikey made a huge blunder. I think he did.

Comment

Mikey openly said he was in boxing to make money; he's making money. His career has stagnated more than it should have, so this is an either "I become a star" or "I cash out" scenario. He's probably okay, both ways.

Comment

Working...
                      X