No announcement yet.

Manny pacquiao: The man who reinvented boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post
    In his understanding, in that sense understandable but judging by what we see I say that's highly questionable since he lunges in. Regardless, you can't back that statement up either.
    Just because it's unconventional doesn't mean it isn't highly effective. It's a risky technique but it works well for him.

Pacquiao's footwork is incredible, I've never understood the idea that it's bad, against De La Hoya (yeh I know drained blah blah) the way he pivoted and created angles was unreal, against Rios, Cotto too.

Comment

In his understanding, in that sense understandable but judging by what we see I say that's highly questionable since he lunges in. Regardless, you can't back that statement up either.
      Lunging in has its time and place in plenty of combat scenarios. If it works great, if it fails then too bad. Take fencing for example. It is a combat sport where virtually every attack is designed with the intent to kill or end an opponent's life. Nearly all of the offensive thrusts involve some sort of lunging in. But if you miscalculate an attack, then you probably die.

The author doesn't talk about fencing per se, but it's obvious he recognizes and acknowledges an esoteric (look it up in the dictionary) quality to Pacquiao's boxing.

Again, your scope and understanding on the topic is clearly ignorant and limited. That's not to say you're clueless because I do believe you know plenty about boxing and I respect that. That being said, you should also respect that that there is a heck of a lot more to boxing than just boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by TMNTForever View Post
        Lunging in has its time and place in plenty of combat scenarios. If it works great, if it fails then too bad. Take fencing for example. It is a combat sport where virtually every attack is designed with the intent to kill or end an opponent's life. Nearly all of the offensive thrusts involve some sort of lunging in. But if you miscalculate an attack, then you probably die.

The author doesn't talk about fencing per se, but it's obvious he recognizes and acknowledges an esoteric (look it up in the dictionary) quality to Pacquiao's boxing.

Again, your scope and understanding on the topic is clearly ignorant and limited. That's not to say you're clueless because I do believe you know plenty about boxing and I respect that. That being said, you should also respect that that there is a heck of a lot more to boxing than just boxing.
        Exactly, this is the problem with Fl0mos and boxing hipsters in general, great post. Pacquiao's style comes with risk at times but it is highly effective.

Comment

Not oblivious to the bold but Pacquiao is guilty of doing that a lot. Lunging in off balance discredits Pacquiao's understanding of footwork regardless. At the very least you have to admit that.

Again, the point I'm attacking is "There might not have been any boxer to date with the same understanding and discipline in footwork". There isn't anything that can back that up, if anything what we've seen says otherwise more so than not.
          Last edited by Doctor_Tenma; 01-03-2015, 04:26 AM.

Comment

Not oblivious to the bold but Pacquiao is guilty of doing that a lot. Lunging in off balance discredits Pacquiao's understanding of footwork regardless. At the very least you have to admit that.

Again, the point I'm attacking is "There might not have been any boxer to date with the same understanding and discipline in footwork". There isn't anything that can back that up, if anything what we've seen says otherwise more so than not.
            But does it work or not? Evidently it does but it comes with risk (Marquez) other than that he has success with it.

Comment

pacquiao balls sniffer.you call getting put to sleep by marquez is reinventing boxing?

Comment

An over the top article but it touched on one very important key point: all of Pacs greatest wins are NOT a result of just pure athletism, it's a result of his exceptional skills has an all round boxer. Pacquiao can hit and move, get in and out of range and has damn good defence. He is an all rounder, not the brawler some have made him out to be.

Comment

you dont have growth spurts naturally at the age of 27 or 28 he used drugs, and fooled a lot of boxing fans, just like when short stops started having over 50 homeruns. He cheated at home and in the ring, ask his wife.

Comment

Great fucking post, green!

Comment

I kind of agree and disagree. He definitely has more skill than people give him credit for. The way he creates and uses angles is incredible and certainly something to see. However I could never say that he has reinvented boxing.

Comment

Working...
                      X