Deskcycle for punching strength and endurance

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deskcycle for punching strength and endurance

Hello,

There is a type of bicycle where you use hands instead of legs. Thinking about it, that must be a pretty good training for arms. When you think of it, the motion there is somewhat similar to punching and pulling arms back. So what would the effect of such exercise be on boxing ? Would it improve strength and endurance or mess up your correct punching form ? There are deskcycles like the one on the image below that could be used for such purpose at home. What do you think ?

They have a couple of those at the gym I go to but I've never actually tried them. I always tell myself that if I break a leg or something I'll be using them a lot.

Comment

I actually someone using something very similar to that, for his hands!

Comment

I would have thought it was widely used since motion is so similar to boxing

Comment

These are the sort of ones i used to see at my local gym.
          http://pinnaclefitness.org.uk/index....roller=product

used to feel like ivan drago when using it tho, ha (1.55 of vid), Used to use similar muscles and have a similar effect on the shoulders to using the speedball.

Comment

Originally posted by SentinelAeon View Post
            Hello,

There is a type of bicycle where you use hands instead of legs. Thinking about it, that must be a pretty good training for arms. When you think of it, the motion there is somewhat similar to punching and pulling arms back. So what would the effect of such exercise be on boxing ? Would it improve strength and endurance or mess up your correct punching form ? There are deskcycles like the one on the image below that could be used for such purpose at home. What do you think ?

I'd think it would be fine for developing some endurance in the upper body, in much the same way that the speed bag does. It would not mess up boxing form--I would be concerned about that only with boxing-specific-training done improperly--over-reliance on headgear and very large and heavy gloves, for example, or throwing punches improperly in general.

My reason for disliking this exercise has to do with the small range of motion involved and the fact that the muscle mass worked is fairly small in total; the systemic stress of an exercise is proportional to the percentage of the body's muscle mass that it involves--this is why, for example, a set of high-rep squats to failure is far more taxing than a set of high-rep wrist-curls to failure.

My preference, therefore, would be for trainees who wish to do endurance training for the upper body to use exercises that also involve the legs. Examples include the Schwinn Airdyne Pro: https://youtu.be/QgQt8qFpsbc , the Jacob's Ladder: https://youtu.be/cqZ6f-d0lJY , and the Versaclimber: https://youtu.be/iWnPyuRljUo
            Last edited by GelfSara; 07-08-2018, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SentinelAeon View Post
              Hello,

If all that you throw are arm punches than this would be great. But what about the rest of your body that works while throwing punches, that will grow tired while you are trying to fight like Popeye.

It's garbage, give it to some know nothin' that's trying to break in to boxing as a trainer. He can let the fools, who pay him to teach them boxing, use it while he's collecting $35-$45 per hour. Pure garbage......Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                If all that you throw are arm punches than this would be great. But what about the rest of your body that works while throwing punches, that will grow tired while you are trying to fight like Popeye.

It's garbage, give it to some know nothin' that's trying to break in to boxing as a trainer. He can let the fools, who pay him to teach them boxing, use it while he's collecting $35-$45 per hour. Pure garbage......Rockin'
                I agree.

It might be good for someone that practices Wing Chun. Mostly for the Straight Blast technique.

Comment

Originally posted by lightningleeroy View Post
                  These are the sort of ones i used to see at my local gym.
                  http://pinnaclefitness.org.uk/index....roller=product

used to feel like ivan drago when using it tho, ha (1.55 of vid), Used to use similar muscles and have a similar effect on the shoulders to using the speedball.

The Drago one I've seen quite often, even in gym shops.

Comment

Working...
                  X