Your favorite magazine cover?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by Rockybigblower View Post

I'll never forgive Oscar De La Hoya for that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Bolt View Post
        I was reading the following issue on the subway when a I met a female friend who knows nothing about sports.
        She glimpsed at the cover, noticed the colour, the half-naked man and words like ‘sweet’ and ‘sugar’.
        She asked me: “Are you gay?”
        I was a bit perpexled by her question and wondered “why do you ask that”?
        “Because you are reading a gay magazine …”

LOL - I was standing on line at the post office once when the woman in front of me pointed to the Ring Magazine in my hand and announced in a very loud voice "Oh I'm a fan too." -- Everyone turned to listen (PO lines are boring) as she began to (still in a very loud voice) make lists of her favorite professional wrestlers. The others in the line smirked and looked away and I thought oh no -- I wanted to yell out, "NO, NO, this is a boxing magazine." But I didn't I just smiled and nodded at the (very loud) lady as she went on sharing stories of past matches (with arms flaring and all) and for the rest of the wait I was a "wrestling fan" whether I wanted to be or not. -- I would rather have been thought gay.
        Last edited by Dempsey-Louis; 09-02-2018, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post

I'll never forgive Oscar De La Hoya for that one.
          Yeah, even worse than when Cathy "Cat" Davis, a female boxer made the cover and most of her fights were later found not to be legit. A few were and I can't even find any of her fights anywhere. I liked Rouseys MMA fight's though and she was a pioneer, like Royce Gracie before her. Limited skills, good at one discipline, short time at the top, moved on when the sport and other fighters caught up and figured her out.

Anybody know anything about Davis though?

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey-Louis View Post
            Who the hell is "Cowboy Rueben Shank" and why is he on the cover of The Ring Magazine? (January '46 ) -- A middleweight out of Colorado, he starts the year on the cover and over the next two months goes 3-1-1 but then on April Fools Day he goes into a slide ending his career 1-12-1. -- The cover was a curse, by the summer of '47 he is toast. --

http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/9610

P.S. Not my favorite cover.
            Never heard of the guy before:
            http://globevillestory.blogspot.com/...-likes-me.html

(I didn't pay attention to this cover when I looked through. I find it so stupid for a boxing magazine, it is now one of my favorite covers.)

Comment

This one..

http://www.boxingtreasures.com/19norimasasa.html

Salvador Sanchez first appearance on the cover.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                Anybody know anything about Davis though?
                All I know is that The Ring lost some more subscribers because they were furious to see a woman (Cathy was the first) on the cover.

A year earlier, The Ring had had its darkest hour, trying to explain why it had tampered with the rankings and fighters' records.

Comment

Aesthetically speaking I think I hate all The Ring covers.

From 1924 through the late 1930s they had a cover concept but by the mid '40s they lost site of it; never again discovering a consistent format that said The Ring.

You can look across a room and spot Time Magazine at a glance. Newsweek, Cosmopolitan, Saturday Evening Post, hell even Boys Life, their consistent formats gave them an identity (as The Ring had back in the '20s and '30s), but starting in the 1960s it was as if they began hiring a different cover editor every month; all of which really sucked.

The covers (1960 forward) are a miss-mash of images, visually noisy, with too many colors, too many images, too many shapes. Sometimes there is so much confusion that even the famous The Ring logo gets lost in the visual noise.

Oh! and some of the art is atrocious: October 1946 looks like it was created by a child.

Some of the worst magazine covers ever!

(Starting in 1989 even Boxing Illustrated found a consistent format that worked.)

Anyway, aesthetically speaking this is my favorite, it may be the only one that I don't find obnoxious.

Last edited by Dempsey-Louis; 09-02-2018, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post

This issue gives good, concise summaries of the abilities and careers of the top 5 all-time greats in each division (up to that point in time.)

It's a nice overview of boxing history.
                    Where can a I buy that?

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
                      Where can a I buy that?
                      It comes up on EBay from time to time.

Comment

Working...
                      X