No announcement yet.

Thoughts on Rest Days

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
    On your rest day, (easy and mellow) yoga could be great. Stretching your body and digging deep in to your mind. What's not to like about that? ……...Rockin'
    I've heard of restorative yoga but I've personally never tried it. I've always done hot yoga or power yoga to work on my balance and strength. I'm sure I can find some kind of online video for an easier type of yoga and work on that at home...

You're stressing me out here coach LOL.

As for the guy who is taking a week off prior to his bout, it was a recommended course of action from his coach too. MY coach probably wouldn't have given those instructions (though he probably wouldn't let me spar), but his coach did, and I'm big on respecting and listening to your coach.

Comment

Originally posted by cv808 View Post
      I've heard of restorative yoga but I've personally never tried it. I've always done hot yoga or power yoga to work on my balance and strength. I'm sure I can find some kind of online video for an easier type of yoga and work on that at home...

You're stressing me out here coach LOL.

As for the guy who is taking a week off prior to his bout, it was a recommended course of action from his coach too. MY coach probably wouldn't have given those instructions (though he probably wouldn't let me spar), but his coach did, and I'm big on respecting and listening to your coach.
      But does that coach really know boxing, Ask him to show you a picture of him fighting. I wouldn't hold my breathe if I were you...…….Rockin'

Comment

But does that coach really know boxing, Ask him to show you a picture of him fighting. I wouldn't hold my breathe if I were you...…….Rockin'
        Coach Vince? I'm sure he fought but how far he got? Not too sure. He's not my coach so I never asked about their boxing stories. I know he trained in our club back in the day.

Now my coach? Dude can box. It's ingrained into his bones. My coach got age to him, but he can still keep up and probably outbox people. Back in his prime, I swear he was like 12% body fat or less... when I saw his pictures, I realized why he's always getting on my case about weight LOL. He was solid. No doubt he was a beast when he did fight, but I've only seen one video of him fighting for a welterweight belt.

Comment

Now my coach? Dude can box. It's ingrained into his bones. My coach got age to him, but he can still keep up and probably outbox people. Back in his prime, I swear he was like 12% body fat or less... when I saw his pictures, I realized why he's always getting on my case about weight LOL. He was solid. No doubt he was a beast when he did fight, but I've only seen one video of him fighting for a welterweight belt.
          Than listen to him. You can not learn boxing by reading and then teaching it from a book. ……...Rockin'

Comment

Just want to share this, Ive recently taken to ice baths/cold water exposure and often work this in on my off days. I find it a good tool to speed up muscle recovery, reduce inflammation and burn calories like mad. Ice bath also takes a certain amount of mental toughness which can be transferred to all aspects of life. After getting in the cold water, you need to work through a mental process to make yourself comfortable in this stressful situation. Through controlled breathing and using your thoughts, you can actually get to a point where it’s quite comforting and therapeutic. This will help you deal better with other stressful situations. The mind is way more powerful than most people realize and can absolutely be used to control your physical response to a situation. If you’re gonna try this, don’t stay in too long at first, like maybe a couple minutes the first couple times then slowly increase the duration. There is an “after drop” effect that needs to be dealt with and it increases with more time in the water.

Comment

He'll come back after 1 week off, for this fight, and get his ass handed to him. He believes that he will come back after resting his body for a full week and be sharp and prepared for war. What he believes will be there for him, skill wise, will not show it's face during this bout. What he believed would be there in his body will also be missing, with him trying to get gas from an empty tank. He may not get his ass handed to him but he has certainly made this bout harder for himself. In this bout a strong mind will help, but a prepared body would help more... Boxing is called the hurtin' business for a reason. Sure, you hurt during the fights. But you should hurt during the training more because you are conditioning your self for the pain, and more so how to work through it……...Rockin'
              How many days do you think you should take off before a fight?, Im fighting this Saturday (just a 3 rounder) and was planning to stop training on Wedensday get a massage and just stretch/shadow box Thursday/Friday, do you think 3/4 days is too long?

Comment

Originally posted by markyod View Post
                How many days do you think you should take off before a fight?, Im fighting this Saturday (just a 3 rounder) and was planning to stop training on Wedensday get a massage and just stretch/shadow box Thursday/Friday, do you think 3/4 days is too long?
                One day off. Work hard, spar harder up until the day before your fight. Shadow box on the day off. No sparring, bag work or anything similar. Stretch a bit and then go fight. And why would you get a massage to break your muscles down when you've spent all of this time building them up? A massage is just a mental tampon for you, you don't need that. ……….Rockin'

Comment

Just wondering what your thoughts are on "rest days"? Do you take rest days?

I've heard from some that they're necessary, I've heard from others that's a myth, and I've heard it depends on what types of workouts you're doing.

Personally - I take Sundays off, not always because I'm in severe pain or any particular injury, but because of the burnt out feeling.

Comment

Originally posted by abracada View Post
                    Omgosh lol. If that is ever me, just kick me outta boxing. That's your job. I actually hurt my knee last Friday, bachi, I swear. Now, I'm fighting with myself to NOT workout, but I'm restless.

Comment

Working...
                    X