No announcement yet.

Mike Tyson's relationship with Jim Jacobs turned bitter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BKM- View Post
    That is so spot on especially about Tyson mimicking King and others. I don't understand why so many people are impressed with his overrated intellect. The guy is clearly very dumb, his most profound statements are all quotes from much smarter famous people even his boxing quotes. Like the quote about 'everybody has a plan untill they get hit' is attributed to him even though he was quoting Jack Dempsey.
    I like you as a poster but your really pissing me off in this thread. Its one thing to speculate like Humean does about creepy habits...thats totally game territory. Yes, older men who hang out with younger boys might have ulterior motives and it might even be interesting to say the least if we see that these guys were interested in more than boxing, so I have no problem with that.

But you read an article, and you didn't even read interpret it properly...You may have other info but nowhere in your source does it say that the problem with the contract was Jacops and the terminal situation and his wife...it says the problem is with Cayton's co managing duties.

How the hell do you or anyone here know the stipulations of this contract? Is it mentioned in a way where we can read the entire thing and judge it? Do yu have any idea how complex a relationship is between good friends, boxing camps, etc? Do you know how manipulative King is? How dangerous the street set that Mike came up with is? I do... i grew up in New York City in a rival neighborhood, and if you think these individuals, or King had mike's interests at heart...there is plenty of proof to ask you to think again.

YU don't know anything about the relationship between Tyson and these Jews because that whole thing is complex. In Jacops generation Jews were sympathetic to Blacks, and marched in civil rights marches, employed minorities, etc...only later was the well poisoned and suddenly Jews were there to take advantage of fighters, like Arum...and thats a whole nother thing!!!

Ray was there and tries to get you right on a few details, and so then? you question mike's intelligence...Liston was illiterate, as perhaps, was the case with Tyson and you know what? they both stand out as being of exceptional intellect despite this handicapp. Mike Tyson studied fighting tape like a professional and knew exactly what to look for and use in so doing. He could also tell you about any great fighter, in technical detail because of his studies. Liston developed George Foreman... Teaching him how to technically conduct himself in the ring.

It just gets to me how much you are and a few others are willing to assume. I don't know the character of these men! I know the character of Don King... King was brilliant, he managed to let criminal masterminds in Cleveland blow each other up, then slithered out from a rock avoiding all harm...When King saw mike's potential the race card, and anything else was on the table.

When a man is terminally ill, he has LOTS of reasons for telling and not telling others about his situation, that should suffice. Not an attempt to double think Jacops and what he was trying to do.

Comment

Tyson was a con man's dream. There's easy pickens and there's hard. There's slim pickens and there's fat. Ol' Mike was Fat, Easy pickens.

It's a wonder Donking kept his salivating off camera. Tyson was probably the number one victim of King's career for sheer amount pilfered.

Mike was smart enough to learn boxing techniques. But boxing was his favorite subject by far. Then there were pigeons. Then there was pussi. Then there was nothing. I digress. My great grandson at five years old could give you all kinds of information on dozens of animals and their habits and habitats, because he was interested in that more than anything else.

But my old pal Billy is right AGAIN. It is probably more accurate to call Mike stupid than dumb. He did some awfully stupid things he was smart enough to avoid, but he was too stupid or too stubborn to step out of the way for them.

The thing where he was trying to sound like Donking with the nonstop stream of black man's jive that allows not another word in edgewise, showed a profound lack of maturity, something a boy would do, and it showed just how forcefully King had kidnapped "the boy's," personality and mentality. It was shocking. But then it was shocking too when he gave his co-interview with Robin Givens and was like a controlled zombie or a guilty little kid.

It is never easy to teach a pitbull to play violin. Like Tyson, it has too much testosterone.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
        I like you as a poster but your really pissing me off in this thread. Its one thing to speculate like Humean does about creepy habits...thats totally game territory. Yes, older men who hang out with younger boys might have ulterior motives and it might even be interesting to say the least if we see that these guys were interested in more than boxing, so I have no problem with that.

But you read an article, and you didn't even read interpret it properly...You may have other info but nowhere in your source does it say that the problem with the contract was Jacops and the terminal situation and his wife...it says the problem is with Cayton's co managing duties.

How the hell do you or anyone here know the stipulations of this contract? Is it mentioned in a way where we can read the entire thing and judge it? Do yu have any idea how complex a relationship is between good friends, boxing camps, etc? Do you know how manipulative King is? How dangerous the street set that Mike came up with is? I do... i grew up in New York City in a rival neighborhood, and if you think these individuals, or King had mike's interests at heart...there is plenty of proof to ask you to think again.

YU don't know anything about the relationship between Tyson and these Jews because that whole thing is complex. In Jacops generation Jews were sympathetic to Blacks, and marched in civil rights marches, employed minorities, etc...only later was the well poisoned and suddenly Jews were there to take advantage of fighters, like Arum...and thats a whole nother thing!!!

Ray was there and tries to get you right on a few details, and so then? you question mike's intelligence...Liston was illiterate, as perhaps, was the case with Tyson and you know what? they both stand out as being of exceptional intellect despite this handicapp. Mike Tyson studied fighting tape like a professional and knew exactly what to look for and use in so doing. He could also tell you about any great fighter, in technical detail because of his studies. Liston developed George Foreman... Teaching him how to technically conduct himself in the ring.

It just gets to me how much you are and a few others are willing to assume. I don't know the character of these men! I know the character of Don King... King was brilliant, he managed to let criminal masterminds in Cleveland blow each other up, then slithered out from a rock avoiding all harm...When King saw mike's potential the race card, and anything else was on the table.

When a man is terminally ill, he has LOTS of reasons for telling and not telling others about his situation, that should suffice. Not an attempt to double think Jacops and what he was trying to do.
        I like you too but you're going off on when this thread was made in 2012 when I was still a bit of a Tyson fanboy, I gotta cringe a bit at some of the stuff I posted back then. I had to have been even worse down to 2006 when I posted here daily in his defense.

Perhaps I should have notified earlier in this thread that I longer buy his victim complex or that his team were the good guys. My main point is that perhaps nobody in this story was the good guy, certainly not King and I'm not sure where you got that impression that I was for King even back then.

Are you perhaps jewish or partially? I get that impression because I don't think it was even brought up in this thread before you did. I gotta say Jacobs was quite creepy himself with his love for Tyson and how he handled his own demise.

But no I'm no longer gonna act like they totally wronged Tyson who is responsible for his own despicable behavior and acts. I'm so sick of this guy never taking responsiblity and having a legion of fans who turn him into a victim in every case.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
          Tyson was a con man's dream. There's easy pickens and there's hard. There's slim pickens and there's fat. Ol' Mike was Fat, Easy pickens.

It's a wonder Donking kept his salivating off camera. Tyson was probably the number one victim of King's career for sheer amount pilfered.

Mike was smart enough to learn boxing techniques. But boxing was his favorite subject by far. Then there were pigeons. Then there was pussi. Then there was nothing. I digress. My great grandson at five years old could give you all kinds of information on dozens of animals and their habits and habitats, because he was interested in that more than anything else.

But my old pal Billy is right AGAIN. It is probably more accurate to call Mike stupid than dumb. He did some awfully stupid things he was smart enough to avoid, but he was too stupid or too stubborn to step out of the way for them.

The thing where he was trying to sound like Donking with the nonstop stream of black man's jive that allows not another word in edgewise, showed a profound lack of maturity, something a boy would do, and it showed just how forcefully King had kidnapped "the boy's," personality and mentality. It was shocking. But then it was shocking too when he gave his co-interview with Robin Givens and was like a controlled zombie or a guilty little kid.

It is never easy to teach a pitbull to play violin. Like Tyson, it has too much testosterone.
          Looking at his relationship with Don King, it is once again very strange. It seems Tyson has no ability to have a normal close relationship with someone without it turning into some psychological thing that can be traced back to his childhood.

He worshipped King and loved him, then he hates him and beat him up, then he felt bad about it because he loved him so much, then he blames everything on King for years in Docu's and then meets him again in 2009 and is all buddy buddy with him again, going back on his words.

He's just a dumb individual, sorry. Only smart when it comes to boxing(though not smart enough to see the team he replaced Rooney with regressed his skills).

Comment

Its one thing to speculate like Humean does about creepy habits...thats totally game territory. Yes, older men who hang out with younger boys might have ulterior motives and it might even be interesting to say the least if we see that these guys were interested in more than boxing, so I have no problem with that.
            To me that bit of speculation came completely out of nowhere. It came across as an attempt to smear a man's character based on no actual evidence or past history.

So Cus D'Amato spent a lot of time with young boys under his care while teaching them boxing. And? So did Emmanuel Steward and countless other Golden Gloves coaches.

Are they all creepy too? Or is it just Cus who gets this treatment because certain posters were feeling anti-Mike Tyson on that particular day?

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
              To me that bit of speculation came completely out of nowhere. It came across as an attempt to smear a man's character based on no actual evidence or past history.

So Cus D'Amato spent a lot of time with young boys under his care while teaching them boxing. And?
              And, and, insisted on sleeping in the same bed as them.

Kind of a significant fact you left out in your questioning.

Comment

And, and, insisted on sleeping in the same bed as them.

Kind of a significant fact you left out in your questioning.
                Do you have a source for the claim that Cus slept in the same bed with young boys? If so post it.

Comment

I like you too but you're going off on when this thread was made in 2012 when I was still a bit of a Tyson fanboy, I gotta cringe a bit at some of the stuff I posted back then. I had to have been even worse down to 2006 when I posted here daily in his defense.

Perhaps I should have notified earlier in this thread that I longer buy his victim complex or that his team were the good guys. My main point is that perhaps nobody in this story was the good guy, certainly not King and I'm not sure where you got that impression that I was for King even back then.

Are you perhaps jewish or partially? I get that impression because I don't think it was even brought up in this thread before you did. I gotta say Jacobs was quite creepy himself with his love for Tyson and how he handled his own demise.

But no I'm no longer gonna act like they totally wronged Tyson who is responsible for his own despicable behavior and acts. I'm so sick of this guy never taking responsiblity and having a legion of fans who turn him into a victim in every case.
                  I am half Jewish and very aware of that dynamic... Its something that is just sad to me because of how there is such a percieved antagonism on both ends, so much so that it is forgotten that jews and blacks were on the same team in the economic diaspora in this country. I certainly do not think you were buying into any negativity vis a vis antisematism, its just something that has to be mentioned when Don King the snake uses the race card.

No in life there are seldom good guys and bad guys lol. Yes the relationship was creepy, I said do much as well lol.

Its a funny thing, very few people act totally honorably...Its probably why I so respect honor bound warrior cultures...The Samurai did a lot of bad things also, including up to world war 2 but there was hell to pay. In our own grey world people like Tyson and Jacops and others sort of do right by each other and then forget how much responsibility it is when someone trusts you like family.

I totally get that things have changed and sorry if I was heavy worded.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post

So Cus D'Amato spent a lot of time with young boys under his care while teaching them boxing. And? So did Emmanuel Steward and countless other Golden Gloves coaches.

Are they all creepy too? Or is it just Cus who gets this treatment because certain posters were feeling anti-Mike Tyson on that particular day?
                    Its not necessarily a "smear." It could be a case of arrested development, a bromance, etc. Better to call it what it is, and even say it is a bit creepy than assume it is a sexual deviancy, or some other such thing.

It just isn't typical for a middle aged man to take such an interest, and have such a friendship with a younger man. It could also be that in his boxing affairs Tyson was mature enough to have a relationship of equals with an older sort...Tyson was and remains a very sharp guy in the things that motivate him.

Thats my feeling about it. But then again in my generation in New York City I knew plenty of older guys who hung around us as kids...and NONE of them ever did anything out of bounds, as a matter of fact the relatonship was often one of mentorship...But, if a guy like Humean says that this implies the adult is a being a creep... what I would call an arrested case of development, I can abide by that lol.

Comment

Its not necessarily a "smear." It could be a case of arrested development, a bromance, etc. Better to call it what it is, and even say it is a bit creepy than assume it is a sexual deviancy, or some other such thing.

It just isn't typical for a middle aged man to take such an interest, and have such a friendship with a younger man. It could also be that in his boxing affairs Tyson was mature enough to have a relationship of equals with an older sort...Tyson was and remains a very sharp guy in the things that motivate him.

Thats my feeling about it. But then again in my generation in New York City I knew plenty of older guys who hung around us as kids...and NONE of them ever did anything out of bounds, as a matter of fact the relatonship was often one of mentorship...But, if a guy like Humean says that this implies the adult is a being a creep... what I would call an arrested case of development, I can abide by that lol.
                      Like I said, there are many other coaches who took such interest in the young boxers under their care. Even driving them to tournaments and sharing hotel rooms with them.

I don't find that creepy in the least and don't get why Cus should get singled out for that. Not unless inappropriate behavior took place and there is actual proof of it.

Comment

Working...
                      X