Prime Fitz vs. Jeffries

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prime Fitz vs. Jeffries

No joke here.

Fitz actually did well in the rematch, before (apparently) dropping his hands to goad Jeffries.

How does this one play out if Ruby Robert is in his prime?

I really have been reconsidering Fitz. And I really do questiong if Jeffries can succeed in Homer Simpson'ing him.

Pre-McFarland, and maybe even Pre-Greb, Fitz looks to have been Boxing's P4P King.

I'd like others' insights. I am only now delving into his career. It looks though, as if he were his era's Robinson with Basilio's grit and ambition.

Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
    No joke here.

Fitz actually did well in the rematch, before (apparently) dropping his hands to goad Jeffries.

How does this one play out if Ruby Robert is in his prime?

I really have been reconsidering Fitz. And I really do questiong if Jeffries can succeed in Homer Simpson'ing him.

Pre-McFarland, and maybe even Pre-Greb, Fitz looks to have been Boxing's P4P King.

I'd like others' insights. I am only now delving into his career. It looks though, as if he were his era's Robinson with Basilio's grit and ambition.
    Fitz was a size queen's worse nightmare... From below the waist a light weight, from above the waist, every bit a heavyweight...The best comparison would be Bauer, as both men had long reach, gigantic shoulders and back muscles. Both men could use that power to punch very very hard. Fitz came up in a Blacksmith family, Bauer on a farm... Both work programs not for sissies.

Black Smiths were so tough that people would entrust their Gold to them... Europe's first bankers for the common man... and farmers? I picked Tobacco as a favor to a friend in college who lived in the area while attending classes. We were all martial artists in tip top shape, and let me tell you...pick tobacco for a day if you think you are in shape...

Jeffries of course was impeccably built from the ground up. God did not skimp on the amount of clay, nor did he squeeze it gently to form the density of a man when Jeffries was made! To say he was a fine broth of a man would insult the french... No Jeffries was a perfectly formed Fumet' with the essence of 20 picked fish frames... He who had the strength of many men and the disposition not to wreck havoc upon his fellows.

At his finest, the size queens would declare Jeffries every bit as perfected as those giants we have in the division. Historically when Dempsey was making his mark, there were many pundits who still declared Jeffries the best heavyweight there was.

I don't know who wins this Rusty. I like your posts and threads and wanted to contribute, but its a hard one to consider. Both men were excellent. You cannot take what Fitz did with Corbet and extrapolate to Jeffries IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
      Fitz was a size queen's worse nightmare... From below the waist a light weight, from above the waist, every bit a heavyweight...The best comparison would be Bauer, as both men had long reach, gigantic shoulders and back muscles. Both men could use that power to punch very very hard. Fitz came up in a Blacksmith family, Bauer on a farm... Both work programs not for sissies.

Black Smiths were so tough that people would entrust their Gold to them... Europe's first bankers for the common man... and farmers? I picked Tobacco as a favor to a friend in college who lived in the area while attending classes. We were all martial artists in tip top shape, and let me tell you...pick tobacco for a day if you think you are in shape...

Jeffries of course was impeccably built from the ground up. God did not skimp on the amount of clay, nor did he squeeze it gently to form the density of a man when Jeffries was made! To say he was a fine broth of a man would insult the french... No Jeffries was a perfectly formed Fumet' with the essence of 20 picked fish frames... He who had the strength of many men and the disposition not to wreck havoc upon his fellows.

At his finest, the size queens would declare Jeffries every bit as perfected as those giants we have in the division. Historically when Dempsey was making his mark, there were many pundits who still declared Jeffries the best heavyweight there was.

I don't know who wins this Rusty. I like your posts and threads and wanted to contribute, but its a hard one to consider. Both men were excellent. You cannot take what Fitz did with Corbet and extrapolate to Jeffries IMO.
      This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post

These are your posts which I like.

Corbett was past his best against Fitz and doing well.

I dunno if Fitz could have lasted the long-haul against Jeffries, but I suspect Jeffries was little more than you described: an impecable physical specimen. He and Sharkey fighting to the near death was incredible... except that it wasn't. Not from a Boxing perspective. Boxing and Wrestling divereged... and for good reason.

I think it's hard to pick a winner in any fight, but maybe we exaggerate Fitz ability? Maybe it's too easy to say Jeffries was just bigger and younger?

I think that the younger Fitz probably has it in him, though, to win over a reasonable length of time. Corbett was more skilled than Fitz, but faded. And so the same applied when Fitz succumoed to the cruder lumox that was Jeffries.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
          These are your posts which I like.

Corbett was past his best against Fitz and doing well.

I dunno if Fitz could have lasted the long-haul against Jeffries, but I suspect Jeffries was little more than you described: an impecable physical specimen. He and Sharkey fighting to the near death was incredible... except that it wasn't. Not from a Boxing perspective. Boxing and Wrestling divereged... and for good reason.

I think it's hard to pick a winner in any fight, but maybe we exaggerate Fitz ability? Maybe it's too easy to say Jeffries was just bigger and younger?

I think that the younger Fitz probably has it in him, though, to win over a reasonable length of time. Corbett was more skilled than Fitz, but faded. And so the same applied when Fitz succumoed to the cruder lumox that was Jeffries.
          Its hard to have a perfect situation where both fighters are at their best... Yes these were all variables. Not to mention that Corbett was nailed with a perfect shot.

Comment

Working...
          X