Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people think Thomas Hearns would beat Floyd so easily?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StudentOfDaGame View Post
    Floyd ring IQ is superior to Leonards so he would not have had to bring anything like you're suggesting. Work rate??? Where do use lot get this nonsense from. Floyd would disarm Hearns jab, there's no point one better at adjusting than Floyd.
    I don't think a ww floyd would have enough power to keep hearns honest...it's not the jab that floyd would need to worry about. You're making the assumption that floyd would limit hearns output like he did to most other fighters...i think floyd would be forced to fight more than he was comfortable with if he wanted to win a decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
      You think Mayweather beats Tommy Hearns, D-Mize?
      Are you daring to argue with that formula?

Next thing I know you're going start saying Ali would beat Jack Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
        Are you daring to argue with that formula?

Next thing I know you're going start saying Ali would beat Jack Johnson.
        Obviously not. Ali was the best HW ever imo. Just because you dont think all past fighters are better than modern ones, doesnt mean all modern fighters are better than the old. Unless youve been buying into the Elroy schtick

How do you see the fight going between Floyd and Hearns?

Floyd has had trouble with opponents who have an educated lead hand before, and Hearns had one of the best, behind a 78" reach too, with a blistering right hand coming behind it. I think FM goes ultra defensive and ends up losing wide on the cards, or if he comes out of his shell, Hearns could get the KO.

Even SRL had to out tough Hearns and get a come from behind KO to win... you think Mayweather can do that?

Im not trying to under sell Mayweather. I think he is an ATG, just not an ATG at welterweight.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing56 View Post
          I've heard people say, hypothetically, if Floyd and Hearns had met in their prime that Hearns would have destroyed him via knockout.

I get Hearns has the height advantage and could potentially out jab him but why do people think it would be such an easy win for Hearns. Floyd is crafty, I think he would figure Hearns out and avoid his right hand, plus putting some lead rights himself.

The only guy I could see beat Floyd out of the fab 4 is Sugar Ray Leonard.
          Tommy likely would of killed Floyd. Not because he was a better fighter, but because he has every advantage on Floyd, under the Sun. Height, reach, size, jab and at 147 he had legit one shot KO power. Floyd has his ring IQ and a better chin. Floyd is never pot shotting his way to a UD decision. The only way I see Floyd beating Tommy is by catching him and stopping him, oddly enough. Tommy is all wrong for Floyd.

Comment

Hitman Would've WHIP anybody ass from as low as 147-160 EASILY if he was in this ERA and that includes Little Floyd

Hagler, Hearns, Duran, Leonard, would have a EASY TIME in Mayweather ERA and especially this Current ERA of all Hype and ZERO RESUME!

Why he beat Mayweather? Simple? Jab! If it is a Flaw to Mayweather's Game (and it is not many) it is that good jabs give him problems. Hearns had a excellent jab and was good at using his reach. Sure Floyd Speed and Quickness would likely allow Mayweather to get it to the Cards but I think Hearns would've beat him

The fact that we have to pull out LEGENDS in this sport to find someone we can claim would beat Mayweather is actually a compliment to Mayweather to be honest even though for some that is not their intentions lol

Comment

I think it would turn into a pretty nip and tuck chess match to be honest. You guys have to consider that Hearns also had Manny in his corner, one of the all time great tacticians, and probably the best reader of fighters that I have personally seen. Floyd would be fighting not only Tommy Hearns, but also a better corner.

I think Hearns is just too much for Floyd, I think its probably one of the few welterweight match ups where Floyd would be the underdog. Its too much size, speed, boxing ability to deal with. Not to mention that Hearns is a KO threat in any round, its just a lot to contend with. I would have loved to see it though, two master boxers.

Comment

Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post
                He'd pummel the sht outta him. A weaker, smaller, shorter, feather-fisted, economical version of Leonard would never beat Hearns.

look at what happen to Benitez who's like 5'10.
                You should probably sit and watch that Benitez fight again.

Comment

Because he was custom made to beat him. Hearns had a big reach advantage over Mayweather that most of Mayweather's opponents didn't have. Hearns had a wicked left jab. It was long, fast,very hard and accurate. He landed that jab often on just about everybody he fought. Hearns was as fast as they come and his hands were blinding fast. His hands were even faster than Leonard's hands. Hearns was not only the hardest right hand puncher in welterweight history he was a great boxer as well. He was ahead on points when Leonard knocked him out in the first fight. Hearn's chin was pretty good. He was knocked out only 3 times in a long career of fighting the best. He could handle Mayweather's power better than Mayweather could handle his power. Mayweather's style of staying at long range and landing accurate pot shots wouldn't work on Hearns. Hearns could stand out of range and beat Mayweather at his own game with longer, faster harder punches. I see Hearns winning by KO. His straight right was much harder than the punch old Mosley hurt Mayweather with.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
                    Obviously not. Ali was the best HW ever imo. Just because you dont think all past fighters are better than modern ones, doesnt mean all modern fighters are better than the old. Unless youve been buying into the Elroy schtick

How do you see the fight going between Floyd and Hearns?

Floyd has had trouble with opponents who have an educated lead hand before, and Hearns had one of the best, behind a 78" reach too, with a blistering right hand coming behind it. I think FM goes ultra defensive and ends up losing wide on the cards, or if he comes out of his shell, Hearns could get the KO.

Even SRL had to out tough Hearns and get a come from behind KO to win... you think Mayweather can do that?

Im not trying to under sell Mayweather. I think he is an ATG, just not an ATG at welterweight.
                    I was trolling, my bad.

I agree, I think Hearns beats him on points clearly or stops him late. I also think Mayweather would be ultra defensive but if he were ultra aggressive, he would stand a much better chance. Hearns is vulnerable but I can't see Mayweather exploiting that, regardless I think he lands some really nice counters on The Hitman. But because of how I think he'd fight, he wouldn't be able to press when he hurts Hearns.

I want to echo the sentiment of the thread title doe, I think it's a really intriguing fight and not as simple as it may seem on paper.

Comment

floyd prime not @ 147
                      thomas hearns natural, prime, super powerful at 147.
                      you tell me......

Comment

Working...
                      X