Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people think Thomas Hearns would beat Floyd so easily?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by robertzimmerman View Post
    How could he have dictated the pace against Tommy?

You haven't debunked anything.
    Benitez neutralized Hearns in spots by cutting him short behind his own jab, and using his feet. Mayweather has a significantly longer jab than Benitez, in addition to boxing ability that at least rivaled, if not surpassed, the boxing ability of Benitez.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
      Tommy Hearns is Floyd's worst nightmare

Body of paul williams

Power of golovkin

Skills of vernon Forrest

Jab of winky wright

Total monster
      Aaron Pryor is Floyd's worst nightmare; Tommy Hearns is simply a tough style matchup to figure out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boxing56 View Post
        I've heard people say, hypothetically, if Floyd and Hearns had met in their prime that Hearns would have destroyed him via knockout.

I get Hearns has the height advantage and could potentially out jab him but why do people think it would be such an easy win for Hearns. Floyd is crafty, I think he would figure Hearns out and avoid his right hand, plus putting some lead rights himself.

The only guy I could see beat Floyd out of the fab 4 is Sugar Ray Leonard.
        Only problem Floyd has is his hand issues. It's the reason he fights only once or twice a year and also the reason he hates pressure fighters, throws one or two shots at a time instead of combos, and doesn't go for knockouts. His hands break easily and they break too many times.

That's why I think Duran is the guy that would have given him more problems than Hearns and Sugar, those two would have just got sucked into Floyd's rhythm, he would have been in his comfort zone.

Not saying Duran was better than them, just saying, his style would have given Floyd more problems coz of Floyd's hands.

Comment

• Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
          Because styles make fights and this is the worst type of matchup you could give Floyd.
          This, Hearns wasn't just a slugger he was also a very good boxer. That reach advantage along with his excellent jab would cause Mayweather all sorts of problems Then you factor in Hearns' power... We saw Mosley wobble Mayweather badly twice in their fight, if Hearns catches him with any of his power shots he knocks Mayweather out cold.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
            Why do people try and bring up the Benitez fight like it was some nip and tuck contest, it wasn't. Hearns won lopsided, the draw scorecard was awful, you could give Benitez 4 maybe 5 rounds and even then those rounds were close. Hearns peppered him with the jab all fight, countered him with left hooks, hurt him on multiple occasions with the right hand, dropped him legitimately. It was a one sided fight. Did Hearns at times struggle to land they he wanted to? Absolutely, Benitez is a HOF'er and one of the best defensive fighters of all time. But the only punch he had any kind of success with is the lead right hand, and even then his success was limited.

I find it funny that some of you are actually using this as a blue print for Floyd, when I see it as the total opposite, this is how I expect Floyd to be beaten, with a few tweaks. Floyd is a little faster and a little better defensively, but not enough to make a difference. Even though he has a slightly better reach than Benitez, he was 2 inches shorter. Hearns was just too tall, too good, and too athletic to give Floyd any kind of chance. He had Benitez in total control during this contest, he was never in danger of losing at all, and of course he found it difficult to nail Benitez at times. You have to remember Benitez carried pretty good power himself, so the threat of that power meant that Hearn's didn't need to take unnecessary risks just to put more of a beating on Benitez, even though he did put it on him at times and exchanged at times.

I can't see how anyone watching this fight could first have the fight close, and second not see how comfortable Hearns was in there, he stuck to the gameplan and made the fight look easy for the most part.

Comment

• Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
              Why do people try and bring up the Benitez fight like it was some nip and tuck contest, it wasn't. Hearns won lopsided, the draw scorecard was awful, you could give Benitez 4 maybe 5 rounds and even then those rounds were close. Hearns peppered him with the jab all fight, countered him with left hooks, hurt him on multiple occasions with the right hand, dropped him legitimately. It was a one sided fight. Did Hearns at times struggle to land they he wanted to? Absolutely, Benitez is a HOF'er and one of the best defensive fighters of all time. But the only punch he had any kind of success with is the lead right hand, and even then his success was limited.

I find it funny that some of you are actually using this as a blue print for Floyd, when I see it as the total opposite, this is how I expect Floyd to be beaten, with a few tweaks. Floyd is a little faster and a little better defensively, but not enough to make a difference. Even though he has a slightly better reach than Benitez, he was 2 inches shorter. Hearns was just too tall, too good, and too athletic to give Floyd any kind of chance. He had Benitez in total control during this contest, he was never in danger of losing at all, and of course he found it difficult to nail Benitez at times. You have to remember Benitez carried pretty good power himself, so the threat of that power meant that Hearn's didn't need to take unnecessary risks just to put more of a beating on Benitez, even though he did put it on him at times and exchanged at times.

I can't see how anyone watching this fight could first have the fight close, and second not see how comfortable Hearns was in there, he stuck to the gameplan and made the fight look easy for the most part.
              Good post. Couldn't understand why people were bringing up the Benitez fight either as it seems more like evidence against Floyd than for him.

Comment

• Comparing Benitez fight with Hearns, to a fantasy fight between PBF vs Hearns, isnt a good analogy. Yes Benitez and PBF were both defensive fighters but, Benitez had much better head movement. He didnt lay on the ropes and just lean back and smother shots like Floyd. This is why most people including myself think that Hearns would win and win in brutal fashion. Hearns is one of he hardest p4p punchers ever, Floyd would get hit with something eventually, because Hearns throws lethal combinations, 4-5-6 punch combos. PBF with his 1-2 punch combos and 1-2 punch counters..wont be enough.

Comment

• I'd never completely rule Floyd out, but odds are he'd get rekt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reloaded View Post
                    Fantasy fights always take for granted that the very best version always turns up , real life is not like that and thats why fantasy fights are a crock of sht that are more about fans likes and dislikes than anything else .

I feel Tommy would get the win on size as Ive stated but looking through his fight videos I would bet good money Floyd would beat this Hearns if thats what turned up .

Watch all of this fight and then note Olajide is no where near as slick as Mayweather , I dont think a fight with Floyd is as one sided for Tommy as you guy like to put out .

I don't see the relevance here.

Styles make fights.

This was about 10 years after Tommy had fought at WW.

It was at SMW.

His opponent was over 6ft, with a huge reach.

Of course he wasn't going to look as slick, fighting 3 divisions higher against a big guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by b00g13man View Post
                      I'd never completely rule Floyd out, but odds are he'd get rekt.
                      *Cough* Fanboy *Cough*

Comment

Working...
                      X