No announcement yet.

Did old school boxers have more skills?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Norm Peterson View Post
    It's primarily in American boxing that there's been a drastic dip in talent, and it's reflected by the country's increasingly woeful results in international amateur competition.
    Possibly but I personally think boxers like Hopkins, Ward, Floyd, Jennnings, Wilder and Arreola are all first rate boxers among others.

I just think there competition overseas and borders has just gotten so much better.

It was easy for Americans to LOOK better in times past when they mainly only ever fought each other.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elroy1 View Post
      The difference is skills of modern fighters (about 80s+) favourably compared with the skills of past fighters, is SO STRIKING that there can be no reasonable debate about it and anybody who claims otherwise is either...

- Lying
      - Has never actually seen enough representative of both to compare objectively
      - Is far below a standard of intelligence enough to make an observation.
      - Is brainwashed by the "Old Time Nut Bag" community.
      the difference is striking to you because you need to see it in 1080p to appreciate it. that's your problem.

i'm in my 20's, started watching boxing as a kid and grew to admire many a current fighter. i'd watch fights, interviews read articles and often times look for who might be a certain fighters favorite fighter. i gauge my opinion on not just what i see, but on what the people who've written, who've seen, who actually do this **** for a living think, because, well, they'd know better.

there are people who've been a round long enough to see fighters of the past and fighters of the present and as far as i'm concerned, whether biased or not, their opinion's worth a little more to me, because they're taking a lot more into consideration then someone such as yourself has seen.

I'd like to know your opinion regarding this hw era in comparison to the era of the 60s-70s. that'll be fun.

Comment

Possibly but I personally think boxers like Hopkins, Ward, Floyd, Jennnings, Wilder and Arreola are all first rate boxers among others.
        Jennings, Wilder, and Arreola??? What have they accomplished, exactly?

Comment

MurkaMan I hate Floyd with a passion and have nothing personally against SRR.

Floyd has fought a class of opposition objectively about 500x better than that which Robinson fought!

It's obvious! No boxer can REALLY have 200 fights against QUALITY opponents. When you delete all the bums off the record, you find out that Robinson fought about only 20 decent opponents and struggled with many of these guys.

The guy swings for fences and has zero regard for any kind of defence. He struggled with a punch bag bum called LaMotta, the very definition of limited plodder. And this guy is considered the very EPITOME of boxing skills in times past!

Pathetic!
          Allot of these boxing fans make me not like or respect SRR or SRL because of how they lie about them. We dont even have to talk about Floyd because this dude has the best skillset that the sport will ever see but when I say that Im labeled a flowwmo.

We can talk about Pacman. I think he would batter and murder a fighter like SRR.

Comment

• Originally posted by AntonTheMeh View Post
            the difference is striking to you because you need to see it in 1080p to appreciate it. that's your problem.

i'm in my 20's, started watching boxing as a kid and grew to admire many a current fighter. i'd watch fights, interviews read articles and often times look for who might be a certain fighters favorite fighter. i gauge my opinion on not just what i see, but on what the people who've written, who've seen, who actually do this **** for a living think, because, well, they'd know better.

there are people who've been a round long enough to see fighters of the past and fighters of the present and as far as i'm concerned, whether biased or not, their opinion's worth a little more to me, because they're taking a lot more into consideration then someone such as yourself has seen.

I'd like to know your opinion regarding this hw era in comparison to the era of the 60s-70s. that'll be fun.
            Joe Louis fought in black and white and this dude had SO MANY SKILLS ITS CRAZY. He can counter, slip, roll! I ALWAYS respected his skills.

I later on found out that he had the top 3 plus minus in boxing history alongside Floyd.

SRR was a trashazz fighter and people like you make me not respect him. He is an awful fighter. But be honest and dont overrate him because if you do it just brings me all the way down.

Comment

• So Sugar Ray Robinson was a trashass fighter?

Only on NSB.

Comment

• Fighters in the past were 100 x better that pussayazz fighters today. The BEST fought the BEST back then. Today we get fanboys justifying why the best are fighting chumps. Champs back in the day fought a hundred plus times, fighters today fight like twice a year. Fighters in the past = LEGENDS. Fighters today = PUSSAYS

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                  So Sugar Ray Robinson was a trashass fighter?

Only on NSB.
                  Yes compared to 70s-90s looks bad sloopy and missing mutiple advances they had in movement so why you did the head face makes you look stupid not people like us who can see what I said is true you obviously can't see good

Comment

Working...
                  X