Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would Hagler do vs GGG/Ward/Kovalev?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by j0zef View Post
    I think he beats them all. The only one who would give him problems is.. Calzaghe, and I know that's not a popular choice.

Ward's too cerebral and doesn't move enough. Hagler would not respect his power, and would stalk him to the end. He'll lose the first few rounds, then either wear Ward down or catch him and KO him.

I don't think Kovalev has the skill to hang with him. He'll eventually go into a shootout and lose badly.

Golovkin would drop a decision. I don't think he would trust his chin enough, and would try to outbox Hagler.. and he would stand a good chance at outboxing Hagler, except that Hagler's short stature and very long reach would give Golovkin fits. So either Golovkin will be on his backfoot, giving up 5 inches of reach, and drop a decision, or he'll go into an all out-shootout with Hagler, and IMO would lose.

Calzaghe had such high workrate and had a great, great motor. He's really a pain in the ass to fight because he throws so many punches and moves so much. It can be close and go either way, but I think Joe would throw 500 punches more than Marvin and get the decision.
    Golovkin would have no chance of outboxing Hagler. Golovkin doesn't fight well moving backwards and he doesn't fight well on the inside either. Two things Hagler did very well. Hagler also had the faster hands.

So that leaves Golovkin with no options other than to knock Hagler out which would not happen.

Comment

Hagler would beat Ward.

But he'd lose to Calzaghe, Golovkin and Kovalev.

Comment

Hagler wasn't even a big MW himself, I'd still pick him over Calzaghe and Ward. I just think it'd be more of a determent to Hagler if he put on a lot of weight against those two over night. He should go in light.

Kovalev is much too big.

Golovkin can't stand in the pocket or outbox him so how exactly would be compete?

Comment

Hagler beats GGG. We'll see what else GGG can show before his career is done.

Hagler loses to Calzaghe via UD in a close fight.

Hagler loses to Ward in a close competitive fight.

Hagler would be crushed by Kovalev...

All would be terrific fights, but you're putting Hagler against two ATG super-middleweights and an absolute beast in the Light Heavyweight division. Tall order, even for someone as great as Hagler. In Hagler's time the last three would've been light-heavies.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
            Golovkin would have no chance of outboxing Hagler. Golovkin doesn't fight well moving backwards and he doesn't fight well on the inside either. Two things Hagler did very well. Hagler also had the faster hands.

So that leaves Golovkin with no options other than to knock Hagler out which would not happen.
            Sorry, dude, I absolutely disagree. I've watched several of Golovkin's older fights, and he fights perfectly well when moving backwards, as well as fighting on the inside. Not displaying it in his recent 10 fights and not being good at something are two completely different things. People have short memories and see what they want. Here's an example: in 2012 and 13, he fought behind his jab a lot. In 14-15 he used it sparingly, mostly counter-jabbing, and people forgot about his jab. Then they saw the Lemieux fight and went 'holy **** that's the best jab in boxing today'.

As for pure boxing skill, IMO Golovkin is better than Hagler. His defense is great-to-elite, his reflexes are faster and his punching repertoire is greater. I truly believe that the deciding factor will be that reach advantage that Hagler has.

Comment

Hagler whips 97K like he stole something.

Ward and Kovalev are toss ups.

Comment

Originally posted by j0zef View Post
                Sorry, dude, I absolutely disagree. I've watched several of Golovkin's older fights, and he fights perfectly well when moving backwards, as well as fighting on the inside. Not displaying it in his recent 10 fights and not being good at something are two completely different things. People have short memories and see what they want. Here's an example: in 2012 and 13, he fought behind his jab a lot. In 14-15 he used it sparingly, mostly counter-jabbing, and people forgot about his jab. Then they saw the Lemieux fight and went 'holy **** that's the best jab in boxing today'.

As for pure boxing skill, IMO Golovkin is better than Hagler. His defense is great-to-elite, his reflexes are faster and his punching repertoire is greater. I truly believe that the deciding factor will be that reach advantage that Hagler has.
                Sorry but I can't take you seriously when you say things like that.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
                  Sorry but I can't take you seriously when you say things like that.
                  I figured that's where you'll go. I won't waste my time trying to prove my point. Myths get perpetuated easily on NSB but often they're disconnected from reality. "Golovkin is there to be hit" is one of them.

Take a look at some advanced stats, and rewatch the first 2 rounds of Golovkin fights. When he's feeling the opponent out, he generally absolutely stifles them. Do some research for fun. You'll be surprised at what you'll actually see and read.

Comment

Working...
                  X